Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Cheap lens challenge!
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jussi - spot on Smile

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess it depends on one's frame of reference. A Fuji 55/2.2 is certainly obscure to me. I'd never heard of it before.

So, you want this to be a showcase for lenses that are generally regarded as cheap junk, and to show that what people think of as cheap junk just might not be, eh?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am looking at this challenge as buying a "cheap" lens that I would not usually buy...it's finding them for the amount specified that is the hard part. Very Happy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sound like fun! Too bad my cheapest lenses ($5 for a Nikkor 50/1.2, and FREE Nikkor 25-50/4, 20/3.5 Ais, and a couple others, not to mention $8 for a Nikon FE with a Series E 50/1.Cool came from yard sales, estate sales, and a deal where I bought a box of equipment, sold some stuff out the box to pay for the box, and kept what I wanted for free.

Regardless, I'll keep my eyes open. Might find something that fits the requirements.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Formula 5 135mm f2.8 Laughing Laughing got it free for a camera my estimated value for this lens is 0.99 USD. (starting bid cost) Konica AR mount.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Count me in, if I can use the Galaxy lens that cost me £2-50, including a good book, from a local charity shop. ? Very Happy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila, at close distance, it looks OK! At infinity and beyond...well...Laughing Thanks for sharing!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManualFocus-G wrote:
Attila, at close distance, it looks OK! At infinity and beyond...well...Laughing Thanks for sharing!

Laughing

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for showing that Attila, it is useful for less experiences guys like me to see bad lenses as well as good...

Right, I'll play.

Petri CC Auto 1.8 55mm. bought for 99p plus 4 ukp shipping so cost 4.99, just inside the 5 quid limit.

I love this lens, best 50 in my collection and apart from a couple I got free, the cheapest.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing bit better deal than mine Laughing

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:

It's all about luck with buying old glass imho, I was lucky, you weren't (this time!) but I bet you've had your share of 'lucky' finds!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael wrote: Sorry, no unusual or oddball lenses. They are:

Oly Zuiko 50/1.8
Canon FD 50/1.8 SC
Canon FD 50/1.4 chrome nose
Canon FD 50/1.4 SSC
Nikon AI 50/1.8
Tamron 60-300/3.8-5.4

Well, certainly not oddball, but what a GREAT cadre of lenses! Shocked

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed Laurence, I'd like a copy of all of those!

Wait, I already have the Zuiko 1.8/50...

Okay, so I want a copy of all the others...

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Attila wrote:

It's all about luck with buying old glass imho, I was lucky, you weren't (this time!) but I bet you've had your share of 'lucky' finds!

Yes I had many luck finds indeed. Laughing

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to hear, I am planning a short holiday to Eastern Europe later this year, a city break to do some photography and hopefully pick up some old Soviet lenses.

No idea where to go yet, Prague, Budapest, Krakow, somewhere like that with lots of historical sights to shoot and hopefully secondhand markets to shop in...

Where would you recommend for such a break? I've never been further east than Berlin...

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Indeed Laurence, I'd like a copy of all of those!

Wait, I already have the Zuiko 1.8/50...

Okay, so I want a copy of all the others...

JUST the Zuiko 1.8/50? Why don't you go ahead and give me the Olympus
Zuiko, and I'll keep it "safe"for you until you get the other 4 lenses. Very Happy

Seriously, what a BEAUTIFUL, classic lens.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Good to hear, I am planning a short holiday to Eastern Europe later this year, a city break to do some photography and hopefully pick up some old Soviet lenses.

No idea where to go yet, Prague, Budapest, Krakow, somewhere like that with lots of historical sights to shoot and hopefully secondhand markets to shop in...

Where would you recommend for such a break? I've never been further east than Berlin...

All are nice , I am glad to meet with you and show our local shop and city, so Budapest Wink

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tip on the Zuiko 50 Laurence, I shall have to adapt it to fit my EOS and try it out.

Attila wrote:
All are nice , I am glad to meet with you and show our local shop and city, so Budapest Wink

Sounds good to me, to have a local guide is always a good thing!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can I play with my Flektogon 35/2.4 that cost me a fiver, from my local shop a few years ago?

Kinda cheating, as I worked there though.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, a bit spoilt for choice here. I picked this up as a "box of lenses" at a local car boot sale this morning and had to pay £15.50 for it. However, it leaves me a bit of a quandry. If we assume that none of the lenses cost more than a fiver, I can only still use only one of the lenses here. The question is - which one? I have the following to choose from......

From the top right downwards in rows, all in M42 mount

Optomax Auto 300mm f5.5
Prinz Galaxy 135mm f3.5
CZJ DDR Tessar 50mm f2.8 on the Praktica
Photax Paragon 135mm f2.8
Prinzflex Auto Reflex 35mm f2.8
Vivitar 200mm f3.5
MOG Domiplan 50mm f2.8 on the lower Praktica

If I wanted to get silly there are a pair of LENTAR wide-angle and tele-photo adpaters for a "Polaroid Camera" plus several other "indeterminate" lenses from lord knows what, plus a box full of threaded tripod adapters etc.

Oh, and a "Weston Master II" and a "Leningrad 4" light meter. And some M42 extension tubes. And a slide duplicator.

All in all, a fine haul. But which one to choose? Any opinions? I'm leaning towards the Vivitar 200/3.5, or maybe the Prinzflex 35/2.8 since it is pretty battered Smile

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gawd Martyn, what a sweet haul.

I will start with a lens I got @ a pawn shop for $10 last year, a Bushnell 135/2.8. It was filthy dirty but cleaned up nicely except for some tape residue on the focusing ring.

I prefer to use my Sears 135/2.8 because it is so much lighter than the Bushnell. It is cold, windy & snowing here this morning so I only took one shot outside with it.

All shots were @ f4.0

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had Sears 135mm f2.8 too, great lens without any doubt.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

martyn_bannister wrote:
Well, a bit spoilt for choice here. I picked this up as a "box of lenses" at a local car boot sale this morning and had to pay £15.50 for it. However, it leaves me a bit of a quandry. If we assume that none of the lenses cost more than a fiver, I can only still use only one of the lenses here. The question is - which one? I have the following to choose from......

From the top right downwards in rows, all in M42 mount

Optomax Auto 300mm f5.5
Prinz Galaxy 135mm f3.5
CZJ DDR Tessar 50mm f2.8 on the Praktica
Photax Paragon 135mm f2.8
Prinzflex Auto Reflex 35mm f2.8
Vivitar 200mm f3.5
MOG Domiplan 50mm f2.8 on the lower Praktica

If I wanted to get silly there are a pair of LENTAR wide-angle and tele-photo adpaters for a "Polaroid Camera" plus several other "indeterminate" lenses from lord knows what, plus a box full of threaded tripod adapters etc.

Oh, and a "Weston Master II" and a "Leningrad 4" light meter. And some M42 extension tubes. And a slide duplicator.

All in all, a fine haul. But which one to choose? Any opinions? I'm leaning towards the Vivitar 200/3.5, or maybe the Prinzflex 35/2.8 since it is pretty battered Smile

I'd like to see results fron the Prinzflex 35/2.8.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

walter g wrote:
I'd like to see results fron the Prinzflex 35/2.8.

Me too, that's the one I'll choose then Smile

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have its wider sister too. But I bought that before the challenge was set down Smile