Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Century Precision Optics - Cinetel f3/150mm
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 10:30 am    Post subject: Century Precision Optics - Cinetel f3/150mm Reply with quote

Won that in a surplus auction, as I have heard very good about CPO lenses (see thread in MF lenses about that ATHENAR 215mm http://forum.mflenses.com/viewtopic,p,1134388.html)

Just got mine f3/150mm today and took a few pics, uncleaned as it, just to see... fullsize images straight from the camera.

f3:

f5.6:

f11:

These were taken with a Lumix GH2 with its larger sensor, but that lens covers it well. There is a bit of vignetting, but that disappears when stopped down a bit. CPO also with that lens has proven its reputation of a maker of very sharp and contrasty cine lenses indeed.

Here a 1:1 crop @f11

I knew about it from a friend who makes nature films and he had a few of those as his "secret weapons" - now I know why!!

Here a detail of the roses on my neighbors flowers (1:1 crop @f11):

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks great! is it c mount lens?

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, c-mount

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, a C-mount. I was wondering why I was unfamiliar with it. CPO has been highly respected for years within the movie industry for its lenses specific to that format.

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They make interchangeable mounts I guess for various camera types.

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent results ! Particularly on your sensor I would think, as it is denser than most, 16mp on a 4/3 sensor. Thats a hard test for pixel peeping.

How are the corners ? Since your lens pretty much covers your sensor exactly you should be able to see this.

If this is one of those CPO two-element types it should be sharp in the center.

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luis, I thought the published images shows that already, but let me use another picture to better explain.

This is my neighbors plantane tree shot a f3. It gets obvious that about 2/3 of the image is very sharp, then the sharpness drifts away. Stopping down results in a quite larger sharp image diameter.

Last edited by kds315* on Fri May 13, 2011 5:24 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is not a real fault in a long lens I think, maybe even helpful depending on the circumstance. The usual requirement for a lens like this is isolating the subject after all.

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it comes handy at times esp. for my flower work when it is about isolating an object, so I fully agree!

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 3:20 am    Post subject: Great Lens! Reply with quote

Very vivid and the aberrations do isolate the plane of focus very well.

Excellent find!

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now a few real images shot today in my fav park Herrmannshof using my Lumix GH2

... no complaints from my side so far. Indeed that lens allows to center sharpness very precisely and allows to nicely separate from the BG. Also quite 3D...