Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Centon 500mm mirror with EP-2
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:44 pm    Post subject: Centon 500mm mirror with EP-2 Reply with quote

Is this acceptable from a mirror lens?

I've never used them before and just want to get some opinions. Also, I'm finding that even when using it in stable condition with remote release on a tripod, the images are blurred. On LCD (LiveView) it seems quite sharp, and when I take the photo it comes out blurred even at 1/30 or 1/40.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you use mirror lock up?
I always have very hard times in getting sharp images with my MC Rubinar 500/8 mirror: in my case it's a combination of the difficulty to focus properly, and extreme sensibility to every little movement (wind, steps near the tripod, mirror slap) of such a long lens.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aanything wrote:
Did you use mirror lock up?
I always have very hard times in getting sharp images with my MC Rubinar 500/8 mirror: in my case it's a combination of the difficulty to focus properly, and extreme sensibility to every little movement (wind, steps near the tripod, mirror slap) of such a long lens.

Thanks. Yes, I think that even a little movement is causing this. But in this case it can't be the mirror as it was on a mirrorless body. The attached photo was taken at ISO 1600 to achieve fast shutter speed.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bhargav wrote:
But in this case it can't be the mirror as it was on a mirrorless body

didn't think about that possibility Very Happy
and it's strange if you think that neither my camera has a moving mirror. Embarassed

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Centon 500mm mirror with EP-2 Reply with quote

bhargav wrote:

The image does not lack definition, it only lacks contrast; you can add it in Photoshop.
Mirror lenses (except for the very expensive ones) are very sensible to flaring; so I would say that your rough result is acceptable.
Sure, the images taken with this lens will often need refinement in Photoshop, it'll be rare that you can use one "as is".

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks quite ok to me, details are there, itjust needs some retouching of the levels and you're done.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all for your comments. I have increased sharpness and reduced noise. Apart from that nothing else. Will play with the curve and contrast a bit more in LR.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These were actually some of the very first captures with this lens. Light was really low and this bird was 3 houses down. I guess these were lucky captures.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: Centon 500mm mirror with EP-2 Reply with quote

bhargav wrote:

Frankly, yes. Low priced mirrors can produce 1024px of sharpness if used on full frame. Now cut that to half due to m4/3 and your result is somehow logical.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, you need good light and add contrast.

With the Pen E-P2 and mirror lens Tamron SP 500 F8, I obtain this kind of result when mounted on monopod.
Bird approx 5-6 meters from me. Jpeg coming out of the cam. I just adjusted light and contrast a bit.
Click on picture to open in new window (1600x1200)
iso-400 1/250s

Here is the topic :
http://forum.mflenses.com/tamron-sp-500mm-f8-on-pen-e-p2-t46862,highlight,%2Btamron+%2Bsp+%2B500+%2Bpen.html