Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Carl Zeiss Tele-Tessar 4/135 for Rollei
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:14 am    Post subject: Carl Zeiss Tele-Tessar 4/135 for Rollei Reply with quote

Got bored of work and did not have time to go out, so I spent some minutes to make some bokeh sample photos with the Rollei Tele-Tessar 4/135 and the 5D.

There are three versions of this lens in the Rollei line, one is Singhapour-made, one is Germany-made by Rollei, and one is Germany-made by Zeiss. I have the latter. I bought it brand new some months ago from a closing down store and got it for a very good price (90 Eur) of course with box and paperwork.

It is one of the classic western Zeiss models that didn't make it to the Contax line. Probably Zeiss thought that the Sonnar 135 (one of the best lenses in the Contax line) was cheap enough to be affordable and the line didn't need an even cheaper (and much slower) one.

In my opinion however this lens has an individuality to respect. It is VERY different from the Sonnar 135 in visual output, and although the Sonnar remains the champ, I feel that there are applications where this lens could find a place. It is very sharp wide open (although wide open here means only f/4)

I didn't spare it in this session and put it to some torture situation, with highlights, patterns etc.

.01 wide open

.01 stopped down

.02 wide open

.03 wide open

.03 stopped down

.04 wide open

.05 wide open

.06 wide open

.06 stopped down

.07 wide open, focused near

.07 wide open, focused distant

-

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice, especially wide open.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This seems to be a very capable lens. And your photos tend to underline what I once have written at another place: We should not disrespect the "slower" lenses. I have several f3.5 and f4 135mm lenses and if you don't need the faster stop than you can get excellent results from them.

- Carl Zeiss Jena Sonnar 4/135 1Q
- Jupiter-11 4/135
- Carl Zeiss Jena Sonnar 4/135 1Q (Silver)

Not to forget these f3.5 lenses:
- Nikkor-Q.C Auto 3.5/135
- Olympus Zuiko Auto-T 3.5/135
- Jupiter 37-A 3.5/135

And even the Weltblick 3.5/135 and the Enna Tele-Ennalyt 3.5/135 are fine lenses.

Often these slower lenses are "sharper" than the faster ones and all I know are usable wide open.

Very nice shots, Orio!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with everything LucisPictor says - about Orio's samples and about slower lenses. Two of my (currently) fav lenses are both f4 (Nikkor 4/20 and Schneider 4/35). Orio's demo of this 135 further confirms the quality possible. Another feature of both of my lenses is how relatively small they are - how about the size of the 135 Orio?

patrickh

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

patrickh wrote:
how about the size of the 135 Orio?
patrickh

Oh it's small. Narrow and longish, in the same size league as the Jupiter-37, SMC Takumar 135/3.5, CZJ Sonnar 3.5/135.
Really a nice cheap lens to have. I think it would do great with female portraits, because it's sharp wide open where it matters, smooth bokeh everywhere else, and moderate contrast.
-

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
patrickh wrote:
how about the size of the 135 Orio?
patrickh

Oh it's small. Narrow and longish, in the same size league as the Jupiter-37, SMC Takumar 135/3.5, CZJ Sonnar 3.5/135.
Really a nice cheap lens to have. I think it would do great with female portraits, because it's sharp wide open where it matters, smooth bokeh everywhere else, and moderate contrast.
-

Model needs a really good make-up as this is very sharp and all pores of the skin become visible Very Happy