Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Carl Zeiss Jena Pancolar 50mm 1.8!
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 2:25 pm    Post subject: Carl Zeiss Jena Pancolar 50mm 1.8! Reply with quote

It just came in last week from evil bay. Took it out for a test run on my Canon 40D and i was BLOWN away. Probably one of the highest resolving 50mm lenses i've had on my 40D thus far. Great detail, resolution, color and contrast all round. The bokeh is to die for too.

Better than my Contax mount Zeiss Planar 50m 1.7 i must say.

It makes things "pop" and even wide open it is relatively sharp!

Here are a few samples. (all shot wide open)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice samples! I am glad you love this lens same than me.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Very nice samples! I am glad you love this lens same than me.

Indeed! It is really a wonderful lens. I was actually quite shocked when i saw the images because i did not expect the quality to be of this caliber. The relatively close focusing range helps with the flower shots as well!

But what i like most is the "3D-esque" style of its rendering.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't see better 50mm lens till this time, so many good 50mm lens available , but none of them significantly better.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, excelent lens for me too.

At F/8 is impressive the definition, I like it more than the flekt 35/2,4. The panky's centers and borders are more in the par, but the flekt, more sharp at center, came down at the borders - panky's borders are better. Of course this is with my copies.

Yopur copy of panky is absolutelly fantastic. Enjoy!!!!!!!

Regards, Rino

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

estudleon wrote:
Yes, excelent lens for me too.

At F/8 is impressive the definition, I like it more than the flekt 35/2,4. The panky's centers and borders are more in the par, but the flekt, more sharp at center, came down at the borders - panky's borders are better. Of course this is with my copies.

Yopur copy of panky is absolutelly fantastic. Enjoy!!!!!!!

Regards, Rino

Indeed Estudleon! The corners are incredible even wide open.

Here is a shot (wide open again) to show the panky's nice border resolution.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cute idea for a portrait; Besides, i don't know a woman who wouldn't be happy to be portrayed surrounded by flowers Smile

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent Zeissy shots
Thanks for posting these Smile

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great shots!!!
I'm curious about my Rollei Planars but I guess they won't produce 3D images like this pancolor.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yalcinaydin wrote:
Great shots!!!
I'm curious about my Rollei Planars but I guess they won't produce 3D images like this pancolor.

Thank you! I have a Rollei Planar 50mm 1.8 and it is "good" but no where as good as the Pancolar!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Pancolar sharpness is legendary and I agree that it is sharper than both the 50 Planars in the Contax line.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still have 6-8 pancolars Embarassed I found old ones good as than latest MC all version are CHEAP.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only have two. Both MC. The newer (10.9xx.xxx) is more neutral tones, the "older" (10.0xx.xxx) is something greenish, especially in brown things (greenish predominant)

Realistic contrast, not so contrastiers for my taste. Near the same definition at center than at borders. I like them very much.

Who have it, enjoy!!! (I do this Very Happy ) Rino.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I have to buy one Smile

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yalcinaydin

Look for the black one (all blacks are MC). See the reflexions. If you like warm lens, blueish reflexions and "viceversa".

Good luck, Rino.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope I'm bidding on the right one Smile
I wasn't planning buying anymore 50mm as I have already 3 as I'm making budget for 5D but I couldn't hold myself Smile

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You won't dissipation with any of them, I have/had lot of copies in different edition all was excellent.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, yalcinaydin, it will be OK.

Send us the pics, please.

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!

Rino.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh....I forget:

You have the Super Tak 1,4/50, the Rollei 1,8/50 (german Zeiss and singapur one).

Excelent trio. And now you add the pancolar. WOW

You will have to compare them and show as the job Twisted Evil

Rino

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the typical price for a Pancolar? Is E-Bay the best place to find one?

--Geoff

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

estudleon wrote:
Ahh....I forget:

You have the Super Tak 1,4/50, the Rollei 1,8/50 (german Zeiss and singapur one).

Excelent trio. And now you add the pancolar. WOW

You will have to compare them and show as the job Twisted Evil

Rino

I don't have the pancolar yet Smile ebay is stucked so I can't see the status of my bidding but if I can't buy one now, I'll definitly buy after I made the payment for the 5D (I don't have an SLR atm).
I'm also bidding on CZ 35/2.8 and Helios 44-2, some Adaptall zooms so I guess I can say that now I also have the lens buying addiction like most of you Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are the Zebra version also as good at the all black?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read that the zebra was Single coated with 6 elements in four grups. The blacks are MC with 6 elements in five groups (better borders?). I have only the second

Regards, Rino.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bawang wrote:
Are the Zebra version also as good at the all black?

Yes.
http://www.mflenses.com/gallery/v/german/zeiss/pancolar_001/pnacolar_50mm_f1_8_zebra/

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 1:21 pm    Post subject: on EOS 5D? Reply with quote

does the MC-Version work with canon 5D infinity?