Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Cambodia Pictures
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 3:23 am    Post subject: Cambodia Pictures Reply with quote

I just came back from one week in Cambodia. Great country, friendly people. Here are some pictures (all taken with Pentax K10D):

1. Voigtländer Apo-Lanthar 125/2.5

2. Voigtländer Apo-Lanthar 125/2.5

3. Voigtländer Apo-Lanthar 125/2.5

4. Voigtländer Apo-Lanthar 125/2.5

5. Voigtländer Apo-Lanthar 125/2.5

6. Voigtländer Apo-Lanthar 125/2.5

7. Voigtländer Apo-Lanthar 125/2.5

8. Tamron SP 350/5.6 Adaptall 2

9. Tamron SP 350/5.6 Adaptall 2

10. Voigtländer Apo-Lanthar 125/2.5

11. Voigtländer Apo-Lanthar 125/2.5

12. Voigtländer Apo-Lanthar 125/2.5

13. Voigtländer Apo-Lanthar 125/2.5

14. Voigtländer Apo-Lanthar 125/2.5

15. Voigtländer Apo-Lanthar 125/2.5

16. Carl Zeiss Jena Flektogon 35/2.4

17. Carl Zeiss Jena Flektogon 35/2.4

18. Voigtländer Apo-Lanthar 125/2.5

19. Porst Color Reflex 55/1.2

20. Voigtländer Apo-Lanthar 125/2.5

21. Voigtländer Apo-Lanthar 125/2.5

22. Voigtländer Apo-Lanthar 125/2.5

23. Voigtländer Apo-Lanthar 125/2.5

24. Voigtländer Apo-Lanthar 125/2.5

25. Tamron SP 350/5.6 Adaptall 2

26. Voigtländer Apo-Lanthar 125/2.5 + Pentax 1.7x Teleconverter

27. Voigtländer Apo-Lanthar 125/2.5 + Pentax 1.7x Teleconverter

28. Voigtländer Apo-Lanthar 125/2.5

More pictures: http://abbazz.zenfolio.com/p1046243946/

Cheers!

Abbazz

Last edited by Abbazz on Mon Dec 24, 2007 4:31 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! Very exciting country! Thank you for sharing!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Abazz these are fantastic! I always look forward to your posts. You teach me I should spend less money on gear and more on travel. Thanks for the contribution. Andy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoa.... fantastic trip report!!
This Apo-Lanthar is really excellent in sharpness... absolutely fantastic for people photography! Perhaps even too sharp for stone monument photography if you know what I mean... I have several favourites but you haven't numbered them so it's not easy to refer them all.... my absolute favourite probably is the colum perspective shot with two women in the distance.
Excellent work please keep posting!!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are all fabulous photos, but my pic is the lady in the boat--what
magazine is she going in? I luv that Tamron boat shot with the foreground
bokeh bubbles, cool!

Bill

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, that shot of the woman and her daughter(?) in the canoe is really a great capture. Also the 3 boys one holding a fruit is also really a moment. Once again this is a super post. Very Happy Andy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to all for the heartwarming comments.

Photographing the temples in the Angkor complex was a difficult assignment, as the lighting was very harsh: bright Cambodian sun outside and very dim interiors. I had problems with purple fringing and chromatic aberrations on many pictures taken with my 35mm Fektogon (you can see a bit of CA on picture No.17). The Pentax FA 20mm handled the excessive contrast more gracefully, but I didn't include the pictures here as this is an autofocus lens. Of course this difficult lighting proved no problem for the Voigtländer 125/2.5 to handle.

Katastrofo wrote:
I luv that Tamron boat shot with the foreground
bokeh bubbles, cool!

Bill,

The Tamron delivered some fine pictures. Mirror lenses have a special rendering of out of focus areas, which doesn't work with all subjects. However, even the dreaded "bubble bokeh" can sometimes be appealing, like on this picture. I took this lens with me it because it is a very small and light lens, as I won't carry anything bigger on such a trip.

Orio wrote:
This Apo-Lanthar is really excellent in sharpness... absolutely fantastic for people photography! Perhaps even too sharp for stone monument photography if you know what I mean...

It's always easier to tame down excessive sharpness than the reverse.

Orio wrote:
I have several favourites but you haven't numbered them so it's not easy to refer them all.... my absolute favourite probably is the colum perspective shot with two women in the distance.

Sorry, I forgot to number the pictures, but it is now done. The two women on this picture were brides resting in the shade between two shots, as the Angkor Wat temple seems to be used by many Cambodians as a background for wedding pictures.

Cheers!

Abbazz

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Abbazz for taking us holidays
My favorites are 2,5,9,11,12,13,14,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,27

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi abazz...those was stunning pics u have!!!.... good camera+exotic lenses+good eye for compo=perfecto!!!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Abbazz, there is one word that constantly comes to my mind:
professional!

These are excellent frames, not only the composition is fantastic, they also can tell about the country. That's what I mean with "professional". Wow!

I will surely look at them over and over again. Thanks a lot for sharing!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Abbazz, great series. I agree with Carsten, a professional work.
Two pictures draw my attention, the 25th (maybe in B&W?) and the last one, one of the flags at the left side is the Spanish flag, so it probably was the spanish embassy or consulate... Wink
Best regards.
Jes.

Merry Christmas!!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the one for me. Outstanding.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Abbazz wrote:

It's always easier to tame down excessive sharpness than the reverse.

I'm not sure about this. It happened to me to have wished to have less sharp lenses for some occasions. For instance I personally like the rendition of the temple stone better in the Flektogon images than in the Voigtlaenders' - Flektogon's seem to me more organic and pleasing, while Voigtlaender's looks to me more "busy". On the contrary, for human portraits, the Voigtlaenders' micro contrast enhances greatly the three-dimensionality of the figures, for astounding results.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is also about the "co-operation" of lens and sensor and the Voigtländer lens seems to fit perfectly to your cam's sensor, i.e. for maximum sharpness.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A big WOW from me too. I like how the Pentax 1.7x teleconverter performs. Very good results. Is it the AF (the one which "transforms" the MF lens into AF lens) one ?
Thank you.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A big thank you again to everybody for the kind comments.

montecarlo wrote:
I like how the Pentax 1.7x teleconverter performs. Very good results. Is it the AF (the one which "transforms" the MF lens into AF lens) one ?

Yes, this teleconverter can be used to turn a manual focus lens into an autofocus lens. Its optical quality is very good for a teleconverter, which means that it doesn't degrade too much the image quality of the lens with which it is used. However, as every other teleconverter, it also multiplies the amount of all the defects of the lens (aberrations, distortion) by the magnification factor.

I find teleconverters much more usable for close-up and macro photography than for shooting at infinity, where the defects of the lens-converter combo tend to become much more annoying.

Cheers!

Abbazz

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jesito wrote:
Two pictures draw my attention, the 25th (maybe in B&W?) and the last one, one of the flags at the left side is the Spanish flag, so it probably was the spanish embassy or consulate... Wink

Hi Jesito,

Sorry but I just noticed you remark about the Spanish flag. I don't think it was the location of the Spanish Embassy, but the flags of all the countries of the world were displayed on the Mekong river bank in Central Phnom Penh. The Spanish flag just happened to be there when I took the photograph.

Cheers!

Abbazz

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Abbazz

Thanks for such a lovely series, makes me want to put Cambodia on the "want to visit" list

patrickh

Orio

PP can allow a certain amount of "fuzzing" to reduce the edge contrast which largely characterizes "sharpness". Done properly it does not immediately offend the eye, unlike over sharpening. However, it is nice to choose the right lens for the job rather than relying on PP.

patrickh

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

patrickh wrote:

patrickh
Orio
PP can allow a certain amount of "fuzzing" to reduce the edge contrast which largely characterizes "sharpness". Done properly it does not immediately offend the eye, unlike over sharpening. However, it is nice to choose the right lens for the job rather than relying on PP.
patrickh

Yes. Of course when you are on a trip you can not have 100 lenses with you. However I have noticed that there are objects for which lenses that are very sharp can be too much, esp. with strong lighting. My personal list of these includes:
- rough rocks, esp. if with high mineral content
- cereal fields (e.g. wheat or oats)
- grassy fields in general
- tree barks
- fine pebbles