Home
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Brassai - In Montmartre
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 3:09 am    Post subject: Brassai - In Montmartre Reply with quote

Brassai's In Montmartre is simply fantastic.

I picked up a library book titled The Monograph, which is a bio with images from Brassai.

Every once in a while you pick up a treasure that simply knocks the ball out of the park! Shocked

Interesting, in that I heard only vague references before in my life. I am priveleged to see his outstanding imagery.

http://www.allposters.com/gallery.asp?aid=85097&apnum=377560&LinkTypeID=1&PosterTypeID=1&DestType=7&Referrer%20=
http://www.artcyclopedia.com/artists/brassai.html[/i]

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He is one of my favourite photographers.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:

You know, when I put up this post, I had already thought to myself,
"I'll bet anything, that Orio knows about this artist and photographer,
and knows his work very well." Smile

Hey Orio! Since I know that your life was filled with artists
(you lucky dog!), could you refer me to any other
photographers and/or artists whom you have come to
greatly admire?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laurence wrote:
Orio wrote:

You know, when I put up this post, I had already thought to myself,
"I'll bet anything, that Orio knows about this artist and photographer,
and knows his work very well." Smile

Hey Orio! Since I know that your life was filled with artists
(you lucky dog!), could you refer me to any other
photographers and/or artists whom you have come to
greatly admire?

As for photographers, I can name some, many of them have been active in the first half of the XX century, for whatever reason:

- Eugne Atget
- Brassai
- Leni Riefenstahl
- Henry Cartier-Bresson
- Izis
- Wim Wenders

and I am surely forgetting some.

I have also been influenced by the cinematographers of motion pictures.
The black and white photography of many Ingmar Bergman films is something I adore. Same for Murnau films. Same for Welles films.

As for other artists, the list would be too long I think. Some names in casual order: Raffaello, Tiziano, Caravaggio, of course Leonardo and in general most of the Italian painters that range from the Middle Ages to the Renaissance, and in recent times, Modigliani; amongst the Dutch and Flemish Rembrandt, Vermeer, the landscapists of the XVII century such as Ruysdael; amongst the French, Lorraine, Degas, Gauguin, Redon, Czanne; amongst the German Franz Marc and Otto Mueller. Amongst the Spanish (or should I say Catalan in this case) the architect Gaud. Plus various others.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SPLENDID! Thank you VERY much, Orio!

This will give me much fodder for perusing a no-doubt magnificent group of artists. I plan to "google" each one of them!