Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Biotar, Helios, Primoplan compared
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 6:02 pm    Post subject: Biotar, Helios, Primoplan compared Reply with quote

I was primarily interested in bokeh, sharpness and colors. This is what i have put in my bag:

CZJ Biotar 2/58mm
Helios-77M-4 1.8/50mm
Meyer-Optik Görlitz Primoplan 1.9/58mm #: 1223508 (coated light gold)
Meyer-Optik Görlitz Primoplan 1.9/58mm #: 1338813 (coated light blue)

Conditions:
White balance the same for all (cloudy). ISO 400. Canon 5D Mkii. All lenses clean and in good shape, Helios unused. Primoplan blue and Biotar with hood. Distance to object isn't fixed but approximate since hand-held. No post production, just resize.

Remarks:
Average Exposure time for Biotar & Helios is 1/1250s (it's funny that 1:1.8 compared to 1:2.0 makes nearly no difference) . 1/800s for both Primoplans.

Sample photos:
Differences really are smaller then i thought. But please let me know what do you think.

CZJ Biotar 2/58mm

Helios-77M-4 1.8/50mm

Primoplan 1.9/58mm (coated light gold)

Primoplan 1.9/58mm (coated light blue)

Last edited by Pancolart on Thu Aug 05, 2010 6:44 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have removed second sample photo from each to make comparison easier.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Biotar, Helios, Primoplan compared Reply with quote

Pancolart wrote:
Remarks:
Average Exposure time for both Biotar designs is 1/1250s (it's funny that 1:1.8 compared to 1:2.0 makes nearly no difference) . 1/800s for both Primoplans.

Helios-77M is indeed 6 elements/4 groups design but it is not Biotar.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Detail check. Sadly with Helios focus is placed a bit behind center rose. Biotar and Helios are sharper then both Primoplans though i love Primoplan softness more.

CZJ Biotar 2/58mm

Helios-77M-4 1.8/50mm

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dimitry: thank you. Changed description.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my eyes, very subtle differences. My favourite is the light blue coated Primotar. IMO, the sharpness is not an issue with a shot like this.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the Biotar and Russian lenses so it's no surprise that I prefer the 1st 2.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Helios winner in my eyes.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suble differences, yes. Here some black and white samples. WB was set on auto when shooting, so i removed colors to emphasize bokeh. Helios gets you around 20cm closer to the subject then other three bytheway.

CZJ Biotar 2/58mm

Helios-77M-4 1.8/50mm

Last edited by Pancolart on Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:01 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Primoplan gold is best among the BW shots; I like the Biotar on the color.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gurdie wrote:
IMO, the sharpness is not an issue with a shot like this.

+1. I prefer the Primoplan too.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 6:29 am    Post subject: Re: Biotar, Helios, Primoplan compared Reply with quote

dimitrygo wrote:
Pancolart wrote:
Remarks:
Average Exposure time for both Biotar designs is 1/1250s (it's funny that 1:1.8 compared to 1:2.0 makes nearly no difference) . 1/800s for both Primoplans.

Helios lenses are Biotar copies. Helios-77 was only a recalculation, which took new optical materials into account (glass with higher refraction, which allowed slightly shorter focal length).

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 4:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Biotar, Helios, Primoplan compared Reply with quote

no-X wrote:
dimitrygo wrote:
Pancolart wrote:
Remarks:

Helios lenses are Biotar copies. Helios-77 was only a recalculation, which took new optical materials into account (glass with higher refraction, which allowed slightly shorter focal length).

Helios lenses are Planars. Helios-40 for sure not Biotar, all other Helioses that can be found here http://www.zenitcamera.com/catalog/lenseslist.html are Planars but not Biotars.
Helios-77 was always considered as a replacement for Helios-44 but not in terms of disign evolution. Rumors say its design is similar to Meyer/Pentacon.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it just me, or is the Biotar bokeh smoother than the others ?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:
Is it just me, or is the Biotar bokeh smoother than the others ?

That made me wonder, too.Which Biotar did you use? How many blades? Coating?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The differences are slight, but in my eyes the Helios seems a bit sharper than the Biotar, and both of those are a little better than the Primoplans.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Primoplans show some residual spherical aberration, that results in a soft glow that may be pleasing for female portraits.
I think Biotar confirms itself as a top class lens, one step above the others. The dimensionality and the bokeh are superb - which is in
line with my personal experience with the lens.
Helios is similar in contrast to the Biotar, but gives harder results. This also is in line with my personal experience.