Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Back in the saddle again ! Exakta VX
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 6:52 am    Post subject: Back in the saddle again ! Exakta VX Reply with quote

I got one of my Exakta's operating again, for the first time in at least twenty years. A bit of disassembly and cleaning got the shutter (fast speeds anyway) running more or less correctly. The fabric shutter, amazingly, is still in good condition, no pinholes or anything - and this is a 55-year old camera !

So I took it out to Guerrero and Valencia, to try it out with the Soligor 21mm and Pancolar. Unfortunately, though the shutter is fine, now the film transport is goofy, and I ended up with a lot of multi-exposures. Some more adjustment is needed somewhere.

Exposure was just fine, but its obvious I need a better film scanner - or maybe better film (I was using Fujicolor). These are scanned at just 600dpi and they look it, and are washed out besides. The "painted ladies" (Victorian houses in San Francisco) deserve a better rendering.

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got several Exaktas Luis - a Varex VX like yours, and a VX which was the same model but destined for the US I believe.

I also have a couple of late Varex IIa, IIb, VX 1000 and a type 4 Exa.

I need to take some images of them and stick them in the Gear Gallery.

Nice images too. Cool

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice images, Luis! Shutter release is on the left?

Bill

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes it is Bill, although, the Exakta is not strictly speaking a left-handed camera as some believe.

Ihagee's reasoning was that as most people are right-handed, and thus stronger on that side, one would be better holding the camera in the right hand to minimise shake, and to use the left hand for focusing, releasing the shutter etc.

They're great - I love mine. Cool

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've ALWAYS loved the Exacta line. And this VX epitomizes the style and grace of these works of a camera's mechanical art. I don't own an Exacta...YET... Wink But yours is what I conjure up in my dreams as to what Exacta's are all about. Exquisite.

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those shots are very unsatisfactory, the colors just didn't reproduce. These are pastel shades mostly, and the range of tones just didn't show up, and I don't think it was the exposure, which was right.

I think it was the cheap film. The sharpness of the output could be improved no doubt with a better scanner, as the negatives appear perfectly sharp, but the colors ?

Slide film or B&W for me from now on I think.

Exaktas are very satisfying cameras to use, I've always loved them too. I get an excitement and anticipation about a picture in the groundglass with these that I don't with others.

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get one Larry and you'll end up with more. Laughing

They are very addictive. Cool Wink

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by Katastrofo on Thu May 29, 2008 8:58 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice samples with a great camera ! I have also this EXakta version.

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes Bill - you can also change it for a prism finder and/or a magnifier finder too, and you can also fit different types of focus screen in the prism finders and to a lesser extent, the WLFs as well.

The Exakta was the first system SLR and had a plethora of accessories and lenses and was used by National Geographic apparently.

Get a good one and you'd be extremely happy. Cool

Get one though and you will get another - they are genuinely addictive. Laughing

I've looked at that one in your link and it looks like it's a VX which is the Varex VX rebadged for the US market due to restrictions on the "Varex" name which was owned by Argus IIRC. The film speed dial is engraved with 'Weston' markings which was also a US only thing.

Last edited by bob955i on Thu May 29, 2008 9:08 pm; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a cool looking camera! Is that a waist level viewfinder/sports finder
combo I'm looking at?

Well, I decided to place a bid on one, haven't hit the reserve price yet:

http://cgi.ebay.com/1951-53-Exakta-Varex-VX-Camera-w-extra-Lens_W0QQitemZ300228760459QQihZ020QQcategoryZ4701QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Watch out for shutter problems !

Thats the way these things tend to go. They have fabric shutters that tear, loosen, warp, pinhole and what have you after 50+ years. The works also tend to stick and gum up, I think they used tractor lube on them.

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These samples show the great quality that this old equipment is still able to deliver when used by a good photographer like you. Congratulations!

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Orio totally, Luis! I would be very happy with pictures like
these! Thanks for sharing!

Bill