Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

As between these two 24mm lenses, which is the better lens?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 6:01 pm    Post subject: As between these two 24mm lenses, which is the better lens? Reply with quote

Trying to decide between these two 24mm MF lenses (only). Superficial specs and conditions are comparable. The Vivitar lens is made by Tokina, while the other lens is made by Sun. Any thoughts as to which lens is the better lens?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most 24mm lenses are good. I haven't tried either but both Tokina and Vivitar have produced some outstanding lenses. Sun is more of a questionmark. Hopefully you will get a reply from someone who actually knows.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Um, I think what you think is most important here -- after all you have everything needed, so why not try out each lens, check results, pick those which support your decision which is better & show & report to us here?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a seriously low serial!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blotafton wrote:
That's a seriously low serial!

Why is that important?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice for a collector.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pontus wrote:
Nice for a collector.

Thanks. But I wish more forum members could comment on the quality of that Sun 24. I did try Google, of course. There's lots of comment about the Sun 24mm f2.5 . . . . . but almost nothing about the f2.8. It is rather old, and I guess it must not have been a very popular lens and is not widely owned.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

guardian wrote:
Pontus wrote:
Nice for a collector.

Thanks. But I wish more forum members could comment on the quality of that Sun 24. I did try Google, of course. There's lots of comment about the Sun 24mm f2.5 . . . . . but almost nothing about the f2.8. It is rather old, and I guess it must not have been a very popular lens and is not widely owned.

Don't have it - sorry, but if it is the same Sun lens that was made for Sigma, there is some feedback already on the forum.
See here:
http://forum.mflenses.com/sun-24mm-f2-8-sigma-ys-mount-t46596.html
Cheers
OH

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW these Sun primes aren't all that common in the first place, and at that time were generally sold under other brands, rarely with origin indicated like this one. Sun sold 10:1 zooms:primes at the time (probably early 1970s). Its tough to ID Sun primes.
It is worth checking for Rokunar branded ones, that was a trademark typically used by a big importer, Aetna. There are piles of Sun zooms sold as Rokunar.

Given the style and the importer I agree this one may be a YS mount type. More pictures would be interesting.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your Vivitar is of course a Tokina in TX interchangable mount. You can see the mount release switch.
I have the earlier T4 version which I find to be quite good. Not up to my Pentax 24/2.8 in the corners, but way better than most wide angles of the day. Yours should be better.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Am I correct in assuming that you don't own either of these lenses yet? The pictures look as if they were taken from two different sales ads.

If you do own the lenses already, the best thing you can do is test the lenses yourself and keep the better one.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want a cheap 24mm which performs well on APS-C sensor, I would recommend a Sigma 24mm F2.8 Super Wide II.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

calvin83 wrote:
If you want a cheap 24mm which performs well on APS-C sensor, I would recommend a Sigma 24mm F2.8 Super Wide II.

Thanks, calvin83. While I appreciate all the responses here, your post gave me a smile. Very Happy

And I certainly agree with you. I've been wanting a Super Wide II for a long while. At one time they were somewhat available here in the USA but quite expensive. Now they are less frequently seen for sale and are VERY expensive. I've never been able to afford one of those, and I've pretty much given up trying to buy one. The fact Super Wide II lenses are sold only with fixed mounts also does not make purchase any easier. Oh, well. Rolling Eyes