Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Are Yashica DSB lenses crap?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:41 am    Post subject: Are Yashica DSB lenses crap? Reply with quote

Well I can't get a sharp picture from my 28mm f2.8 or 55mm f2 @ 1/250 sec from close up to distant shots..... erm it looks like the common fault could be the camera body, but the camera shutter speeds (with the camera back open) look OK and no exposure errors, well I just wish the negs came out as sharp as seen in the view finder Wink
One lens was bought on the camera and the other was bought from another seller and the lenses look in VG to excellent condition. Sad

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ones I tried were pretty crap. Saying that, I found the 55/2 to be pretty good with little flare.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

135mm is super sharp even at wide open.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 2/55 and it's surprisingly good.
I put it for sale here since a lot of time but nobody has ever showed interest even if I am asking for only 15 Euros...

_

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suposedly, DSB's was Yashica's line of lesser quality lenses in comparison to the better ML (multi-coated) line. At least that is what you will find Googling around or reading around forums like this one.

Personally I am yet to test my ML but I am expecting fairly good results since some say it is suposed to be very close to it's Planar sister. I read the same exact thing for the 24mm 2.8 ML (vs Carl Zeiss).

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I did confuse DS-M with DSB

I have DS-M 135mm

http://www.mflenses.com/gallery/v/japenese/yashica/auto-yashinon-ds-m-135mm-f2-8/?

wide open shoot at available light

http://www.mflenses.com/gallery/v/japenese/yashica/auto-yashinon-ds-m-135mm-f2-8/Yashica_135mm_f2_8_M42-100.jpg.html?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it looks like I've got a door stop camera (FR1), as Contax lenses are very expensive and I don't feel enthusiastic about buying any more Yashica lenses (even ML)......does anyone know if the M42 adapter works ok with the Yashica/contax mount, as I could use the camera for some screw lenses. Question

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
I put it for sale here since a lot of time but nobody has ever showed interest even if I am asking for only 15 Euros...

_

erm I might have ruined a future sale Embarassed

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excalibur wrote:
Well it looks like I've got a door stop camera (FR1), as Contax lenses are very expensive and I don't feel enthusiastic about buying any more Yashica lenses (even ML)......does anyone know if the M42 adapter works ok with the Yashica/contax mount, as I could use the camera for some screw lenses. Question

Don't give up Yashica they made many stunning lenses some of them steal cheap. I rate as top performer Yashica ML 21,24mm around 50mm all are good. Yashica ML 28mm is cheap and very nice. Yashica DS-M 135mm f2.8 just good as than any other well known performer etc.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Excalibur wrote:

Don't give up Yashica they made many stunning lenses some of them steal cheap. I rate as top performer Yashica ML 21,24mm around 50mm all are good. Yashica ML 28mm is cheap and very nice. Yashica DS-M 135mm f2.8 just good as than any other well known performer etc.

Well I'm still in shock Shocked with two poor lenses, and never had this problem with other well known manufacturers, but I can't resist a bargain so will look out for some ML lenses going very cheap as well as a M42 adapter.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excalibur wrote:
Orio wrote:

_

erm I might have ruined a future sale Embarassed

No problem, my copy is sharp Smile

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Searching google and came across this:-

This shot using a 28mm DSB doesn't look sharp either
http://forum.mflenses.com/viewtopic.php?t=9294

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excalibur wrote:

Rino Giardiello defines the 2.8/28 DSB as "indecent":

http://www.nadir.it/ob-fot/yashica_lens.htm

However not all DSB lenses are such bad. Some are acceptable and especially in the 50-58mm focal range, the difference with higher priced lenses is really small, because all 50mm lenses share the same optical design and the differences are in most cases only a matter of single coating against multi coating.
_

Last edited by Orio on Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:22 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only have one DSB lens, the standard 50mm f/1.9

Optically, it seems almost identical to my ML 50mm f/1.9.
Both very good lenses, reasonably sharp wide open with very attractive bokeh.

Strangely enough, the DSB lens is better built with metal barrel while the ML one is all plastic.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dsmlogger wrote:
I only have one DSB lens, the standard 50mm f/1.9
Optically, it seems almost identical to my ML 50mm f/1.9.
Both very good lenses, reasonably sharp wide open with very attractive bokeh.

Yes, like I said, for standard FL lenses the difference is often only a matter of coating, because the optical schemes are identical and so are the production costs (it is a very standardized focal lenght).

dsmlogger wrote:
Strangely enough, the DSB lens is better built with metal barrel while the ML one is all plastic.

Not that much strange actually, most DSB lenses are older than their ML counterpart.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
Excalibur wrote:

Rino Giardiello defines the 2.8/28 DSB as "indecent":

http://www.nadir.it/ob-fot/yashica_lens.htm

However not all DSB lenses are such bad. Some are acceptable and especially in the 50-58mm focal range, the difference with higher priced lenses is really small, because all 50mm lenses share the same optical design and the differences are in most cases only a matter of single coating against multi coating.
_

A secret between you and me:- From an old post of yours I'm looking for a particular lens and if you mention it, it will be all over google. Cool

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: Are Yashica DSB lenses crap? Reply with quote

Excalibur wrote:
Well I can't get a sharp picture from my 28mm f2.8 or 55mm f2 @ 1/250 sec from close up to distant shots..... erm it looks like the common fault could be the camera body, but the camera shutter speeds (with the camera back open) look OK and no exposure errors, well I just wish the negs came out as sharp as seen in the view finder Wink
One lens was bought on the camera and the other was bought from another seller and the lenses look in VG to excellent condition. Sad

I remember selling these when they were new and we never had any complaints as serious as yours. One wonky lens you might get, but the chances of two at the same time from different sources in highly unlikely. I bet your diagnosis of the body being to blame is is correct. If the mirror's not seating properly the screen image will look fine but the results will likely be way off. Or if the camera's been serviced in the past and the screen mislocated on re-assembly the same will happen. Don't junk the lenses just yet!

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 7:05 am    Post subject: Re: Are Yashica DSB lenses crap? Reply with quote

scsambrook wrote:
Excalibur wrote:

I remember selling these when they were new and we never had any complaints as serious as yours. One wonky lens you might get, but the chances of two at the same time from different sources in highly unlikely. I bet your diagnosis of the body being to blame is is correct. If the mirror's not seating properly the screen image will look fine but the results will likely be way off. Or if the camera's been serviced in the past and the screen mislocated on re-assembly the same will happen. Don't junk the lenses just yet!

Hi..and agree with your point about the camera body, but after using half a roll of film something must be in focus (sharp) surely, from close up to distance, if the mirror was out
The first half of the film was in a Canon AV1 and produced sharp shots like this with a FDn f1.8:-

Same film and with a HUH and WTF:-

Yashica 28mm f2.8 dsb sharpened with Orio's no 2 sharpener in Photoshop.

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cant speak of the DSB Yashica's but here are samples from the last M42 Yashica DS-M line of lenses..

2.8/35mm looks this way..

Some images taken on 5D MKI fully open..

HIGH Resolution URL 1..
http://dunkelnetz.de/images/objektivtests/yashinon_dsm_2.8_35mm/unschaerfeverlauf.JPG

HIGH Resolution URL 2..

http://dunkelnetz.de/images/objektivtests/yashinon_dsm_2.8_35mm/gegenlicht1.JPG

YASHINON DS-M 2.8/24mm @f4

HIGH Res URL..
http://dunkelnetz.de/images/objektivtests/yashinon_dsm_2.8_24mm/auto_offen.JPG

YASHINON DS-M 1.4/50mm @f8

YASHINON DS-M 4/200mm @f4

HIGH RES URL..

http://dunkelnetz.de/images/objektivtests/yashinon/200er.JPG

IMHO non of the DS-M Lenses are crap.. they are very good performer and some of the lenses are better as the later ML line without thorium elements.

The older DX and other single coated lenses like DS are often crap.. in the DS-M line, the 1.7/50mm and the 2.8/135mm are only average, but 24mm, 35mm and the 1.4/50mm lenses are brilliant, as well as the 200mm.
If you can find the described lenses, go for it, but they are rare.

Cheers
Henry

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

****The older DX and other single coated lenses like DS are often crap.. in the DS-M line, the 1.7/50mm and the 2.8/135mm are only average, but 24mm, 35mm and the 1.4/50mm lenses are brilliant, as well as the 200mm.
If you can find the described lenses, go for it, but they are rare. ****

Those shots are impressive....so it would seem good Yashica lenses go in cycles and does make you think how the board of management of Yashica worked erm didn't they care Pentax, Nikon, Canon, Minolta, Olympus etc were producing consistently decent lenses over the years, and they couldn't/wouldn't do the same.