Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Are these scans any good?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:26 am    Post subject: Are these scans any good? Reply with quote

Hi guys

Please ignore the subject or composition (well unless you want to comment) and would like your opinion on these low scans from film....anything from "looks digital" or not many tones of colour, or "looks like a supermarket scan or "I'd expect better from film" etc ...anyway the important thing is:- if you all think they are crap I'll still like them so my feelings won't be hurt Wink
Unfortunately being low scans you can't enlarge the shot too much to see if they are good for detail as you get pixel breakup, but the film and lenses were very good so it's just about the scans.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think they're good.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I scan film fairly regularly but usually only black and white so I won't comment on color.

In the first the subject looks good. Colours look natural and there looks to be a good amount of detail nice tonal range. The surrounding dark background doesn't look so good. It looks blotchy like it's been pushed to far in post processing after the scan.

Second looks good to me. There's detail in the highlights and shadows (back of the chairs for instance).

3rd looks OK too apart from the dry grass in the foreground which looks a tiny bit over sharpened.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys, your replies are encouraging as on another forum a guy said "these scans weren't good enough for him" so you really don't know what other people think of your shots\scans unless they tell you, and sometimes it's better to tell the truth than be polite and lie, as in lying you don't learn anything.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the colours are great and I especially like the way the scans have worked in 1 and 3. In 2, I find the halo effect on the railings a bit difficult on the eye. The dead seaweed in 3 looks just like the stuff that covered the beach in Corfu every morning before it was cleaned away.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

skida wrote:
I think the colours are great and I especially like the way the scans have worked in 1 and 3. In 2, I find the halo effect on the railings a bit difficult on the eye. The dead seaweed in 3 looks just like the stuff that covered the beach in Corfu every morning before it was cleaned away.

Thanks and never noticed that on the railings (I can see it on the left side) and the lens was a Flek as well Shocked

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dont trust anyone, unless you know their graphics workflow. if i look at those photos on 27" IPS Dell, they look great. if i look at them at 6years old 12" TN on my notebook, it look little worse, but very different. there is no proper way to consider scans as good, except your own.

btw: nice colours. i like them.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say they are perfect, can not think of any better (except professional drum scans).

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are close to optimum what you can reach with normal scanners.
They are only slightly oversharpened for my taste.

Last edited by ForenSeil on Tue Oct 22, 2013 2:13 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be very happy with these scans. Dont worry. Of course high end drum scanners will do better for bigger enlargememnts.

The guy in our local supermarket minilab has tweaked the settings on his machine to produce better scans and after being petitioned to do so by keen amateurs like me!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your comments guys as your replies are important to me as they are all original scans from a supermarket and they dev, print an index, scan to a CD, put the negs in sleeves in a folder for £3 in 25mins while you shop.....the problem is their Fuji Frontier scanning machines are set for producing prints and are usually too bright, too sharp, too contrasty and colours are quite often to vivid....so I have adjusted them in Photoshop, well the problem is sometimes the over sharpening but fortunately being high contrast I can reduce the contrast which reduces the over sharpening (don't know the theory of this but it seems to work in practice).
Well if you guys like what I produced then shall continue to do it my way, knowing if I post a shot here you are not thinking "OH my God=OMG" Wink
Thanks all

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excalibur wrote:
Thanks for your comments guys as your replies are important to me as they are all original scans from a supermarket and they dev, print an index, scan to a CD, put the negs in sleeves in a folder for £3 in 25mins while you shop.....the problem is their Fuji Frontier scanning machines are set for producing prints and are usually too bright, too sharp, too contrasty and colours are quite often to vivid....so I have adjusted them in Photoshop, well the problem is sometimes the over sharpening but fortunately being high contrast I can reduce the contrast which reduces the over sharpening (don't know the theory of this but it seems to work in practice).
Well if you guys like what I produced then shall continue to do it my way, knowing if I post a shot here you are not thinking "OH my God=OMG" Wink
Thanks all

Our ASDA does the same service, the oversharpening has been reduced, perhaps get to know the guy who does them and see if you can change it. It worked for me (well us)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

philslizzy wrote:
Excalibur wrote:
Thanks all

Our ASDA does the same service, the oversharpening has been reduced, perhaps get to know the guy who does them and see if you can change it. It worked for me (well us)

Never thought of that thanks, but did ask the girl once that I would give her an extra £1 tip if she would scan at max resolution which would be about a true 3000 dpi..but she said the machine was set by the engineers which as you know is about 1800 dpi. Sad
But IMO an Asda 35mm scan would be better than a V500 and equal to a V750 for DETAIL..well not surprising as it's a £24,000 machine ver £150-£600 flatbed scanner Wink

http://business.fujifilm.co.uk/photofinishing/photo-finishing-products/digital-minilabs/product-662

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seem very good to me .

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yinyangbt wrote:
Seem very good to me .

Thanks, and as members like them it might be of interest to name the lenses and film used:- the first shot was with Minolta MC PF 58mm f1.4 on Superia 200, the 2nd Flek 35mm f2.4 on Reala and the 3rd Kiron 80-200 f4 non zoomlock on Reala