Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

APO Rodagon N 2.8/50mm on Sony NEX 7 via VNEX Focus-System
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:26 pm    Post subject: APO Rodagon N 2.8/50mm on Sony NEX 7 via VNEX Focus-System Reply with quote

During the last i developed a new System for using enlarger lenses on Sony NEX cams.. and call it VNEX..
On the system you can use a lot of enlarger lenses (focal lengt 40mm and up) from infinity to close focus distances at about 22 cm from front glass..

Here are some samples taken with different enlarger lenses, starting with the APO Rodagon N 2.8/50mm.. taken @2.8

and a last one from the APO Rodagon N 2.8/50mm.. also taken @f2.8..

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stunning. My copies of the Rodagon 50/2.8 and El-Nikkor 50/2.8 weren' that good wide open.
Was the ship in the Kiel canal?
Could you please show a pic of your "VNEX"? What does the "V" stand for?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ForenSeil wrote:
Stunning. My copies of the Rodagon 50/2.8 and El-Nikkor 50/2.8 weren' that good wide open.
Was the ship in the Kiel canal?
Could you please show a pic of your "VNEX"? What does the "V" stand for?

As far as i read you are using a normal Rodagon 2.8/50mm and not the APO version.. thats could be the difference.. Very Happy

yes, ship-pictures were taken at "kiel canal"..

Here some pic's of the VNEX... V stands for the latin number 5.. because i started development with a NEX 5... Very Happy (now i do use the
NEX 7)

And you can do a lot of other things with that system.. i will show this in some more postings and will introduce the system as the optional components of it..

Upps.. sorry, was the wrong lens i embedded ... this is the correct APO Rodagon N 2.8/50mm, not the Schneider-Kreuznach

Cheers
Henry

Last edited by hinnerker on Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:39 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simply astounding quality, another lens in my must have list! Surprised
(I have the non APO version which I use on my enlarger)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
Simply astounding quality, another lens in my must have list! Surprised
(I have the non APO version which I use on my enlarger)

Rolling Eyes

You cannot be serious.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great idea an experiment!

I have a S-K 40mm f4 Componon which I have been trying to figure out what to do to mount it on my camera. What type of adapters did you use as the raw material to fit those lenses?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stingOM wrote:

I have a S-K 40mm f4 Componon which I have been trying to figure out what to do to mount it on my camera. What type of adapters did you use as the raw material to fit those lenses?

I developed the VNEX System.. complete by myself.. here are some pictures from the system..

The base - System... for mounting enlarger Lenses 40mm and longer to a Sony NEX cam..

For example with a mounted EL Nikkor N 2.8/50mm..

For clearing the register distances for different enlarger lenses, you can combine the M39 rings in this way..

If you have Mounts different to M39 mm (M25/M27/M30 and M32,5) you can use our plates to convert them to M39 Thread Mount of the VNEX System..

So its no problem to bring most of the enlarger lenses of 50mm on a NEX System and reaching infinity focus.
Close focus will be mostly about 20-25cm from Front element of the lens.. reproduction scale 1:3

There is also a 25mm macro-tube available -look at base system picture.. so the reproduction scale is going to 1:1.25..

This tube is also used to adapt focal lenght of 75 or 80mm in this way..

from that..

to that..

So now we can use the 4/80mm Rodagon .. instead of the Nikkor EL N 2.8/50mm Very Happy

And there are lots of things, you can do with that system.. from adapting Braun Paxette Lenses up to very experimentel stuff..

Last edited by hinnerker on Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:26 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stingOM wrote:

Do you mean a WA Componon 4/40mm.. this lens is really great on VNEX... but on the copy i tested on my System i did have to shorten the thread a little to get infinity..

Cheers
Henry

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am starting to doubt there is anything you "care for", Oreste Smile

As to the lens, I shoot a bit of enlarging lenses as well using bellows, and the results are most often on par, or even slightly better than shooting with my 60/2.8 elmarit. Just a little bit more cumbersome.
The lens is a sweetie, I have it myself and it does produce interesting and tack sharp results, even at infinity.
The vnex system is true brilliance tho, that's even more impressive than the lens Smile
Where can I sign up to buy one of those? Smile

Last edited by Nisseliten on Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:38 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hinnerker wrote:
stingOM wrote:

Do you mean a WA Componon 4/40mm.. this lens is really great on VNEX... but on the copy i tested on my System i did have to shorten the thread a little to get infinity..

Cheers
Henry

Hi Henry,

Yes I have the Schneider-Kreuznach W.A. Componon 4/40! Thanks for the tips.

If I want to mount it just purely as a macro lens, what do I need to get it to fit an M42 bellow?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stingOM wrote:
hinnerker wrote:
stingOM wrote:

Cheers
Henry

Hi Henry,

If I want to mount it just purely as a macro lens, what do I need to get it to fit an M42 bellow?

For a bellow you only need a step up ring from M39 to M42 ...

But here is a link to show, what a WA Componon 4/40mm can do for you.. Very Happy
(sorry Attila, for linking to my own forum.. but the pictures are not taken by myself)

http://www.digicamclub.de/showthread.php?t=16276&page=9&p=179252&viewfull=1#post179252

Cheers
Henry

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hinnerker wrote:
stingOM wrote:
hinnerker wrote:
stingOM wrote:

Cheers
Henry

Hi Henry,

For a bellow you only need a step up ring from M39 to M42 ...

But here is a link to show, what a WA Componon 4/40mm can do for you.. Very Happy
(sorry Attila, for linking to my own forum.. but the pictures are not taken by myself)

http://www.digicamclub.de/showthread.php?t=16276&page=9&p=179252&viewfull=1#post179252

Cheers
Henry

Thank you! Smile

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent results with this little enlarger lens, congrats! I have few enlarger lenses and they are all great and fun lenses to use especially for macro works....
I don't have the apo version but the more common rodagon 2.8/50mm which is also a very fine lens, especially for the price...if you like it, you can take a look here for some samples with the rodagon mounted with some macro rings on my D700 (without focus helicoid): http://forum.mflenses.com/enlarger-lens-rodenstock-rodagon-2-8-50mm-on-d700-t50356,highlight,%2Brodagon.html

Wink

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Henry

I like your VNEX system and the images.

The quality of the engineering looks superb like industrial art

Do you intend to market this system as I would be interested if you do

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to see you back Henry!
I've always wanted to try an APO enlarger but as usual something else came up as a priority. Still hoping. And saving. Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I knew that you were talking about the APO version and I'm about the non-APO
I just wanted to notice that your APO rodagon looks better because in some cases Apo versions of lenses (especially on microscope lenses) have lower CAs but other problems instead like focus shift to the corners, more distortion (I guess both hard to find on decent on enlarger) and most common drawback on many Apo-versions is lower contrast.
hinnerker wrote:

What should be wrong.. the IQ of the APO Rodagon as well as the Nikkor EL N 2.8/50mm are near Leica lenses.. in each defined terms.

Bye the way I've seen a direct comparision between Nikkor EL N 2.8/50 and Leitz Focotar II 50/2.8 and Nikkor looked slightly sharper but had slightly more CAs. But difference were for my eyes only visible in a 100% crop.

Last edited by ForenSeil on Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:42 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got Oreste's point. And I hope his comments can stop Rodenstock APOs lenses price getting higher, after seeing Henry's picts Very Happy
So I can buy the APO cheap. I have non APO one, I love it. I only use extension tube+LTM-NEX adapter.
For SK Componon 40/4. to reach infinity I use cmount-NEX adapter. back of lens fits the adapter hole.
Oh, forget to say. Henry that's really nice works.
That works is not easy to do. and the results are outstanding.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An excellent DIY enlarger system! I think the Taylor Hobson enlargers are worth to try as they have very pleasant bokeh.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ForenSeil wrote:
I knew that you were talking about the APO version and I'm about the non-APO
I just wanted to notice that your APO rodagon looks better because in some cases Apo versions of lenses (especially on microscope lenses) have lower CAs but other problems instead like focus shift to the corners, more distortion (I guess both hard to find on decent on enlarger) and most common drawback on many Apo-versions is lower contrast.
hinnerker wrote:

What should be wrong.. the IQ of the APO Rodagon as well as the Nikkor EL N 2.8/50mm are near Leica lenses.. in each defined terms.

Bye the way I've seen a direct comparision between Nikkor EL N 2.8/50 and Leitz Focotar II 50/2.8 and Nikkor looked slightly sharper but had slightly more CAs. But difference were for my eyes only visible in a 100% crop.

Yes, ive got both. The EL Nikkor N 2.8/50mm and the Leica Focotar 4.5/50mm.. i would prefer the Nikkor.

But with all the enlarger lenses, a lot of different versions are out there.

Older and newer versions of the APO Rodagon, Rogonar's, SK Componon's etc.. each with differences in register distance, treat lenght and IQ..

So i decided to develope the system for beeing as flexible as posssible.

Nearly 30 or 40 different enlarger lenses in the range of 40-80mm focal length are tested by myself and lots of other lenses -- for example using Braun Paxette interchangeable lenses on the VNEX is possible. We are planing to do the same with Altix lenses and some other interchangeable lenses..

In my home-forum there are 10 or 12 people, which now do own a copy of my VNEX - System and report the new lenses they have tested .. our excell sheet with tech. data is growing..
Very Happy

Last edited by hinnerker on Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:02 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

calvin83 wrote:
An excellent DIY enlarger system! I think the Taylor Hobson enlargers are worth to try as they have very pleasant bokeh.

Thanks...

Cheers
Henry

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's get this thing back on track.

That looks like a great project. I might be a little bit slow, but can you explain a bit more how the system works? I presume the adapter that we see is a regular M39-NEX adapter to which you've attached a helicoid. How long is the helicoid btw? A couple of things are unclear to me.

1) what are the bits left and right?
2) does the lens rotate on focusing?
3) it appears that you attach the lens to the ring on top of the center piece? Then what acts as a focus ring? Is that the piece on the left? Obviously I am missing something...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fermy wrote:
Let's get this thing back on track.

That looks like a great project. I might be a little bit slow, but can you explain a bit more how the system works? I presume the adapter that we see is a regular M39-NEX adapter to which you've attached a helicoid. How long is the helicoid btw? A couple of things are unclear to me.

1) what are the bits left and right?
2) does the lens rotate on focusing?
3) it appears that you attach the lens to the ring on top of the center piece? Then what acts as a focus ring? Is that the piece on the left? Obviously I am missing something...

To your questions..

1.)

The base system is established in a standard M39 adaptor with interchangeable Inlay rings.. the normal M39 ring is part of the system so the adaptor base can use as simple M39 to NEX adaptor (and more with the macro tube..)

After changing the INLAY to VNEX.. you have got around 14,75mm length of the "helicoid" - part. This is enough with a 50mm focal length to reach reproduction scale of near 1:3 (like the Leica Makro Elmarit 2.8/60mm)..

With the "bits" left and right (one is 9mm and the other 12mm) you screw in the enlarger lens from one side, and the other side is for connecting the "bit" to the focus helicoid of VNEX..

There are in total 3 pcs. of "bits".. 6mm, 9mm, 12mm.. for equilizing the differences in register distance of the lens you want to use..
Sometimes you need the 12mm "bit" for a given lens to reach exactly infinity and fine-tune the infinity point by the screw-in heigth.

You also can combine 2 pieces of the "bits".. to get more "space"..

As you can see.. there are 6 or 7 different values you can reach.. 6, 9, 12, 15, 18 and 21 mm distance in addition to 36,8mm register distance of the VNEX.. so build your own distance that way.. the seventh way is combining 2 x 12mm = 24mm.

So the "bits" are for correcting a needed distance to get the whole range from infinity to the close up range.. at about 20 cm from the front glass.
The "bits" also work as a focusing grip..

2.)
Yes, the lens rotates.. but thats normal, because the VNEX is interchangeable for other systems like DSLR cams.. it works this way on Canon EOS, Pentax DSLR, Sony/Minolta DSLR and Nikon DSLR Systems.. with enlarger lenses which have a focal length above 80mm.. the only thing you need is a T2 adaptor to the DSLR you are using. This makes the system unviversal... for your DSLR and the NEX models..

We call this VCAN/VNIK/VSON/VPEN.... Very Happy

For example: (old Rodenstock 5.6/80mm on VCAN)

So it was neccessary to do it in that way of a rotating system.. and not a fixed system. So you can use it on Sony NEX or a standard DSLR cam.. Very Happy

3.)... correct.. as i described.. the "bits" sometime acts as a focus ring.. but most of the time you focus with the enlarger body.. Very Happy

But sometimes the lens is to small and the register distance to far.. Very Happy

So it acts as a "focus-grip"..

Sorry to all for my bad english.. ill do my best to answer. LucisPictor - also a member of my own forum will give a detailed explanation of the system in the near future..

Cheers
Henry

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is very nice setup, Henry. Congratulations. I have to try my own Apo-Rodagon that way too, not just reversed for larger than life-size magnification.

Alex

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnBar wrote:
Hello Henry

I like your VNEX system and the images.

The quality of the engineering looks superb like industrial art

Do you intend to market this system as I would be interested if you do

Thanks for the compliments.. Very Happy

The System is available since 3 months.. only in limited small quantities because of the expensivness for mass producing..
The parts are made for me on a professionell CNC machine from an industrial company who is doing bussines in producing mechanical parts for the medical industry..

Now we have produced the second line of 30 pieces and improved some details in the System.. if someone is interested in buying this system, he can contact me on PM.. (dont know what ATTILA and Orio say, if i can post here details in a thread)...

Please understand, that this is a "project" from me as an enthusiast in researching possibilitys to find new interesting fields in photography with other lenses, then the normal SLR stuff from older days..

I have enough very good and expensive lenses... my main interest is to find small and compact lenses to carry around on my NEX 7 ... and i finance the project by my own. .. so only small quantities are available..

In terms of reducing the costs of the System, the system parts inside the VNEX are not anodized at the moment but later, if there is enough resonance for the system, we are planing to do so.. at the moment the parts are blackend by hand..

So if you can live with that, contact me for further details..

Now i will show some samples in another thread with some more lenses.. thats the main thing..

Cheers
Henry

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice work, Henry!