Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Apo Makro Lanthar 125mm - Peonies, and more...
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 2:03 pm    Post subject: Apo Makro Lanthar 125mm - Peonies, and more... Reply with quote

Shot today at Herrmannshof, Weinheim, Germany

all shot wide open handheld at f2.5

...and on the way there was this little one, lens nearly fully racked out at ca 1:1 ...

Last edited by kds315* on Sat May 09, 2009 5:23 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Klaus - for a quick run round the garden you do a stunning job. That is a pretty extraordinary lens. The whole series that they produced before the Zeiss run was incredibly good. BTW do you have their topcor copy?

patrickh

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats Klaus!
Peonies already Shocked
Considering the experience you have with so many lenses.
I 'm very curious to hear how you feel this lens Ranks against the rest of the best.
It has been so much hyped as we all know (sold now for 3 times the original new price Surprised )

BTW
when you get tired of him. Send him back across the Moat to me ehe? Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An incredible lens, the dream of many (including me!)

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to know how you ranked this too. And yes, this is a dream lens for many people.

I am curious, how does this compares to the 90mm which if I am not mistaken you once owned. Perhaps a stupid question - does the difference in IQ reasonably correspond to the price difference (obviously minus the fl)?

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I SO enjoy your posts with images Klaus. Flower shots are a dime a dozen, but somehow yours always have that extra bit of "oomph" and seem to jump out of the screen. The APO Lanthar, of course, speaks for itself.

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

patrickh wrote:
Klaus - for a quick run round the garden you do a stunning job. That is a pretty extraordinary lens. The whole series that they produced before the Zeiss run was incredibly good. BTW do you have their topcor copy?

patrickh

Thanks for the kind words - that was indeed just a quick hit thing, and I have to get used to that lens more. Focussing on a D200 screen (which is pretty bad actually) is quite OK thanks to the f2.5 and the point of sharpness is quite snappy still. Have a look at that Acacia tree rind also shot at f2.5:

The mentioned Topcor rings no bell with me, which lens(es) are you talking about?

Last edited by kds315* on Thu May 07, 2009 5:55 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

F16SUNSHINE wrote:
Congrats Klaus!
Peonies already Shocked
Considering the experience you have with so many lenses.
I 'm very curious to hear how you feel this lens Ranks against the rest of the best.
It has been so much hyped as we all know (sold now for 3 times the original new price Surprised )

BTW
when you get tired of him. Send him back across the Moat to me ehe? Very Happy

Well my friend, we had warm weather since quite some time, a few cold days in between, but where I live is anyway blessed, flowers start about 4 weeks earlier as anywhere else and this region is very famous for its early almond tree blossoms which turns all in pink....several weeks back now. And the peonies have opened since about a week and some are nearly gone already...

100% crop:

Well back to that lens: dreamy sharpness and the most creamy bokeh I have seen for a while would be my immediate conclusion of today. But will do more maybe tomorrow...btw. that thing is built like a tank, massive all metal and heavy which actually helps to balance that whole cam+lens system when doing macro shots. 1:1 handheld w/o stabilizer seems pretty doable with that combo. Others need a stabilizer for that!!

To compare with the 90mm will actually be easy soon, since I bought (another) one, after I saw my (and later Chris') results, but I had already commited the sale. The 90mm is much less heavy and does not have that long helicoid to 1:1, but the image results should come quite close. F2.5 to f3.5 makes a difference though...I especially like the wide open shots:

Pricewise the125mm has skyrocketed compared to the 90mm which is still quite OK in price. The list price was JPY95,000 (ca USD960), now I see them go for USD1.600 used (!!)

In case someone wants either lens, in Japan both are currently for sale, also the rare Nikon version...I can help....

Last edited by kds315* on Thu May 07, 2009 6:29 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

btw. in case someone is not aware of this, Bjørn Rørslett rates that lens 5 out 0 5 points either for DX or FX lenses on Nikon bodies. Let me cite him (C) B. Rørslett:
This elusive "macro" design, made by Cosina of Japan, is a rare gem indeed. The beautiful workmanship and external appearance bear a close resemblance to the Zeiss ZF series that appeared about one year later, also made by Cosina. Probably the lens was only produced for a short while (one year?). A real pity since it is worth every penny you have to pay for a sample of it.

The optics are superbly corrected, renders vividly satured colours and high-contrast images all the way from infinity to the close limit at 1:1. Focusing is by a quite narrow collar, but the focusing itself is remarkably silky-smooth. The Voigtländer is equipped with an aperture ring and thus easily can be combined with extension tubes or a bellows unit. The click-stops on the aperture ring are very precise unlike most Nikkors.

The lens barrel does extend signficantly when the lens is focused closer, but since the rear element stays put, some kind of focal-length change in conjunction with CRC wizardry must be in play. Still, the free working distance at 1:1 is 19 cm, which is much better than with most 105 mm close-focusing lenses. Flare is well controlled but you can provoke it to give some ghosting. The filter thread is 58 mm and the lens came with an unusual quadratic lens hood that bayonets to the front.

This is the lens that has replaced the 105 VR as my all-round lens for close-ups on DX and FX cameras

...cited from: http://www.naturfotograf.com/lens_spec.html

I fully understand him now...

...and then there is the Rose...

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great captures Klaus! And what a gem this lens is.

Again you did start my makro-fever - I need to go outside, now!
Thanks! Smile

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It can be wonderful portrait lens as well....

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Sandy,

bring that 100mm Zeiss Makro Planar to work... Wink Wink

Thanks, Klaus

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

..a few more...

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Klaus
The 58/1.4 which I believe was a copy of the topcor? They sold it alongside the Voigtlander set

patrickh

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

New Auto-Topcor 58/1.4 from Cosina is a copy of the original Topcor.
Then new CV NOKTON 58/1.4 SLII follows, this one has only F-mount
and KA-mount, though this one is optically the same lens.

Anyway, these photos by Klaus are fairly nice with smooth bokeh.
Wish Cosina would not stop making this lens. Ironically this lens becomes
more popular after the production was discontinued, like Noct-Nikkor 58/1.2.

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Koji

I suspect Zeiss made Cosina sign an exclusive contract and forced them to stop the Voigtlander range Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

patrickh

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 11:18 am    Post subject: Bokeh anyone?? Reply with quote

Bokeh anyone??

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovely Klaus!

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amazing.

MONEY, I need MONEY. Cool

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JkhX5W7JoWI

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys!

Just also checked for LCA - none (same with the 90mm)!

P.S.: magnet-2009 what a nice logo you have! Shot yourself? And if so, which nebula is that??

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
P.S.: magnet-2009 what a nice logo you have! Shot yourself? And if so, which nebula is that??

You didn't get it Laughing , I said that I need MONEY........... Cool

How could I have a good enough telescope to "hit" deep sky objects?

No, the photo is a cheap result of a "googling". To be honest I don't remember the number, just a try, may be the M1 of Messier's catalog.

A gift from me:

http://www.deepskyobserving.com/

Last edited by magnet-2009 on Sat May 09, 2009 4:41 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought you need money BECAUSE you bought such a nice instrument...LOL Wink Very Happy

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LCA - guess none...

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Verticals" from this evening in the (same) park... @f2.5

and the last one: ....to the light I strive...

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...and ouchh, that thing is SHARPPP...the lens I mean Wink

(100% crop from full size image)

Last edited by kds315* on Sat May 09, 2009 6:58 pm; edited 1 time in total