Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Another sunset shot (and guess the lens).
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 12:59 pm    Post subject: Another sunset shot (and guess the lens). Reply with quote

I was in two minds whether to post this, but I get great feedback on this forum and it helps me to improve, so here goes. Comments on composition, exposure, processing etc welcome. f/5.6 1/20s handheld @ISO 800.

Also, I haven't posted here with this lens. Any guesses what it is? Taken on my D40, so Nikon mount.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A perfect photo, there's no doubt. The exposure is perfect (and it wasn't easy), the sense of depth and space is unbelievable.
Congratulations, I would't hesitate in calling this a masterpiece.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
A perfect photo, there's no doubt. The exposure is perfect (and it wasn't easy), the sense of depth and space is unbelievable.

I fully agree, the light balance is excellent and also the composition.

Jes.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firstly it's a great shot - wonderful composition and well judged exposure.

As to lens - it's not a trick question and is an AF Kit lens is it?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richard_D wrote:
Firstly it's a great shot - wonderful composition and well judged exposure.

As to lens - it's not a trick question and is an AF Kit lens is it?

Damn, got it in one. Yes, its the 18-55 kit lens with its crappy build and surprisingly good optics. I was on -3.3 EV exposure compensation there.

Embarassed well Attilla posted some AF shots. And since I was posting the MTF for that lens recently...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:

Wow, praise indeed! I really wanted to capture the colours in the sea. It was getting pretty dark by then and yet the colors were still there and getting deeper. I went to a very large exposure compensation and still it was at 1/20s. The lens only opens to f/5.6 at that focal length. This was the last shot of the day, then I carries on down to sea level and got the train home.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris

Great shot. Amazingly clean for ISO 800. Colour saturation is surprising, especially with that kit lens. I suspect you have the other end of the QC spectrum, the really good one that slipped through Smile Smile

patrickh

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very well done, Chris!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really a nice shot Chris. The colors are just great. Amazing that it was iso 800, your right it is very clean. Kudos again.
Andy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice capture Chris, in dark AF lenses are good as MF Laughing

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
in dark AF lenses are good as MF Laughing

Laughing Laughing

-

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
in dark AF lenses are good as MF

Mr. Green Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As my personal view, I like the colour you have captured and the silhouettes are striking but I find the foreground landmass over powering. The eye is led into the picture down the street then "blocked" by the land mass, I then go searching for something else to be interested in. The water has a nice texture with calming criss cross hatching highlighted by the falling light but I feel I want to see something in that expanse of water to hold the attention. Good capture considering it is hand held and if you haven't de-noised the Nikon handling of higher ISO is certainly better than the Canon, mine would have needed some treatment to bring it up to this level. just my 2ds worth Smile

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hacksawbob wrote:
As my personal view, I like the colour you have captured and the silhouettes are striking but I find the foreground landmass over powering. The eye is led into the picture down the street then "blocked" by the land mass, I then go searching for something else to be interested in.

I'l ask them to dynamite out the hill to clear the view. No seriously, I get what you are saying. There are lots of sweeping bays around here, in some ways I liked the punctuated inlets on that bit of coast.

hacksawbob wrote:
The water has a nice texture with calming criss cross hatching highlighted by the falling light but I feel I want to see something in that expanse of water to hold the attention.

I agree, a boat returning to harbour would have added the extra something.

hacksawbob wrote:
Good capture considering it is hand held and if you haven't de-noised the Nikon handling of higher ISO is certainly better than the Canon, mine would have needed some treatment to bring it up to this level. just my 2ds worth Smile

No Noise Ninja on this one. I was pretty surprised that it turned out so well myself, when I saw how low the shutter speed was.