Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Animated Presepe
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 9:25 pm    Post subject: Animated Presepe Reply with quote

In my region, there are associations of private cizitens, both working and retired, who help the hospitals by providing fast rescue assistance. Where the state hospitals can not arrive, for lack of funds, these citizens offer emergency rescue and transportation with ambulances. It's all financed privately, by us citizens, with donations. The volounteers that work do not have any profit, they work for free in their free time, or if retired, they just work there full time. The oldest answer the phone calls and assist with other small works, the youngers drive the ambulance, carry the ill people, etc. Of course they have passed a course for basic sanitary emergency help.
Well, to cut the story short, every Christmas this association (Pubblica Assistenza), which is located very near my apartment, makes an animated Presepe. There is a guy who does that, called Giacomo, who is very talented. He makes real works of art. The presepe is exposed during the holiday season and the people who go there to watch, throws some money offer in the presepe, as donation to help the public assistance.
This is what has always happened - but this year unfortunately, a couple of "newcomers", who have been recognized, come there in the night and steal the offers. So the people in the Public Assistance have been forced to expose a sign, to tell people not to throw money offers because thieves steal them. The thieves have been individuated (two northafricans), but the people of the public assistance have decided not to report them to police. Wrongly, in my opinion, but that was their choice. So they exposed this sign where they say "do not throw money offers, because they steal them and we know who they are". I don't think this will stop them, but anyway, the Presepe is going to be set down next Monday. So I went there to take photos and document this great work. The Presepe is animated in a day/night cycle. In the day you have sun and blue sky, and some of the little characters work: the man who hammers the donkey foot, the other man who shaves the sheep, they are all animated. When the night comes, the light changes, stars appear, and the animated workers stop working. The change day-night-day is gradual, so you have all the transitions in between. It is really a great effort. I talked to the man who makes the presepe and he explained to me everything he did. All for free of course. I took a photo of him, and I will give him a CD with the photos I took.
For now I show the Presepe as a whole. In a later moment I will also post some details taken with tele lenses.

The overall images were taken with the Nikkor UD 3.5/20mm, but even a 20mm was not enough to show the whole Presepe, so I took three shots.

Presepe in the night, central view:

Presepe in the night, right view:

Presepe in the night, left view:

Presepe in the day, central view:

Presepe in the day, right view:

Presepe in the day, left view:

The sign asking people not to throw offers because they get stolen. A shame that after more than 50 years of this traditional event for my town, we have to record for the first time. Sad
Summicron-R 90:

Il signor Giacomo, the author of all the Presepi made for the Public Assistance. He also is a volounteer of the P.A.
Summicron-R 50:

-

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What an uplifting story - except for the thieves. Thanks for sharing Orio

patrickh

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

patrickh wrote:
What an uplifting story - except for the thieves. Thanks for sharing Orio
patrickh

Having been born in a quiet and honest place, for me is very hard to accept that. I remember when I was a child, people were poor, my family was also, my family made a lot of sacrifices to raise a decent life again from the destruction of the war. We could not buy a television until I was 7 years old and when we bought out first colour TV I was 15 years old. And that is nothing, when I was in my pre-teens, we had to also make saving on the food. We could eat meat only twice a week, and many times, mine was the only dish with meat on.
That may sound strange, but it's real.
But even with nothing on the table, no one of my family or of our community, would have ever thought of stealing as a way of income.

Maybe people from big cities is more used to this and does not find it depressing.
-

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a first set of details, taken with the Summicron-R 90.

www.oriofoto.net/temp/presepe2007b/index.html

I also have other details taken with the Summicron-R 50 and the Zeiss Contax 2.8/135, I will post them later.

-

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now details taken with Summicron-R 50 (second version):

www.oriofoto.net/temp/presepe2007c/index.html

-

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And finally, the details taken with Contax Sonnar 2.8/135, MM version:

www.oriofoto.net/temp/presepe2007d/index.html

-

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful series from both lenses, Orio! Sad the thieving placed a pall on
the event!

Bill

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a non sharpened, 100% crop taken from the Summicron-R 50 photo of the presepe creator posted above.
The image is somehow back-focused.
Posted as thumbnail because it exceeds forum limits:

-

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe my eyes are giving out on me, but it looks pretty clear as far as
focus. I'm looking at individual hairs that popped up from his head, etc.
And this is unsharpened....pretty good shot!

Bill

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Katastrofo wrote:
Maybe my eyes are giving out on me, but it looks pretty clear as far as
focus. I'm looking at individual hairs that popped up from his head, etc.
And this is unsharpened....pretty good shot!
Bill

Yes the Summicron-50 is really one of those lenses that exploit in full the resolution potential of the 5D.
If I had focused the image correctly on the eyes, the impression would have been even stronger, but even like this is not bad, considering that the image has passed through two antialiasing filters in the 5D!

But what I think emerges clearly from this multipart series, is that the Contax Sonnar 135 (a very underrated lens that can be bought for around 150 Euros) is on par with the Leica Summicron 50 with regards to detail, and probable even a tad above the Summicron 90.
And with a better colour saturation than both.
As for bokeh, the Summicron 90 still leads the way, but the Contax is damn close.
The Contax 135 costs half of the Summicron 90 on the bay.

-

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about this bokeh?
http://www.oriofoto.net/temp/presepe2007d/slides/_MG_1905.html

-