Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Aldis Anastigmat f2.5 85mm
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:12 am    Post subject: Aldis Anastigmat f2.5 85mm Reply with quote

Hi folks

This is an old English projector lens I have mounted inside a modified M42 tube, it focuses nicely but won't quite hit infinity.

To my eyes, it's lacking sharpness and the bokeh is bland and flat, I'm not seeing anything interesting but I thought I'd show everyone to see if anyone else spots any potential in this thing and thinks I should give it another chance...

Might be useful as a soft portrait lens I suppose...

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Worth doing, just so you (and we!) now know what the results were. Thanks for sharing.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried with a Zeiss Talon (85mm 2.8 ), adapted in the helicoid of a stuck Mamiya 55mm. No aperture constructed, so only WO. Infinity OK. Not very good for general purpose, suited for portraits IMO.

In somewhat hazy light:

(I have no real portrait available)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Martyn. There are so many projector lenses for peanuts I figured it was worth trying one.

That Zeiss looks to have a lot deeper dof than my Aldis which has a painfully shallow one.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Zeiss looks excellent IMHO.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

martyn_bannister wrote:
The Zeiss looks excellent IMHO.

I agree, so much sharper than my Aldis.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thin projector lenses have no coating, so you should always expect some (or much) flaring when using them as camera lenses in a sunlight situation.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm totally guessing here, but could you DIY an aperture disc out of stiff paper? You'd end up something like the lensbaby, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Lensbaby-composer.jpg

I'm not sure where you'd fit the disc in your setup but you you seem pretty handy Smile

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most projector lenses made after the early 1960s are coated - I sold lots and lots of projectors in the mid-60s and so speak from experience. But a lot of them were mounted in aluminium barrels with no blacking at all, so that plays havoc with the results on a camera.

The majority are three elements, and weren't even much good as proejctor lenses until quarz halogen lamps came along. With those, the tiny filament effectively lets the lens work at a reduced aperture when it forms the image. If you compare a 300watt mains projector with a 12volt 100watt one, the difference is pronounced - equal brightness, less warm tone and noticeably sharper. However, when used on a camera things aren't so good!

I have a Leitz Colorplan 90mm f2.5 mounted in a bellows unit which gives a sort of 'dreamy' out of focus background - I'll look for some results and post one or two when I have time. But there's little depth of field and I don't think it would replicate the results of the Talon.

I guess an 'aperture disk' would act just like a Waterhouse stop - it would give different results mounted in front or behind the lens. I must look that up to see what the difference actually would be.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a lot of noise in the images so hard to make an exact judement, but I can see some uses for this lens.

Flora & portraits could be interesting.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I remember me well the Talon was a rather cheap, used in large numbers in very common projectors.The Talon is better then I expected, but weak in backlit situations, better nearby then at infinity.
The Colorplan had a much better reputation as projector lens in that days. So it coold be a pleasant surprise, worth a try.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Projector lenses, one place still left for us to seek bargains. Leica Colorplan and Elmarit both kick ass for sure.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

About the noise, it was a horribly dull day and the camera was set to ISO 400, I then turned up the brightness slightly in PP.

My EOS seems to create a lot of noise so I'm trying to stick to ISO 100 now to avoid it.

I keep seeing some very nice high-end projector lenses going for 20-30ukp that were 2-3000 originally, often brand new, some of these interest me for wide angle work, but I wanted to try a cheaper projector lens first.

This one ibviously isn't great but I will try it again on a day with some more sunshine, if this rain ever ends!

I nearly bought a Zeiss anamorphic 35mm projector lens for 25ukp a couple of months ago but passed as it had a 72mm barrel thread mount. Would have been cool for landscapes but i doubted it would have hit infinity.

Anyone know what the registers are on 35mm projectors?