Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

[AF] Fuji GA645i + Kodak Ektar 100
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 2:08 pm    Post subject: [AF] Fuji GA645i + Kodak Ektar 100 Reply with quote

Hi,

I just tried my first two rolls of Kodak Ektar 100 (a relatively new low-grain colour negative film). It seems to scan pretty well despite my cheap scanner and lack of proper scanning software. I got some newton's rings scanning from what I think is the emulsion side, however, and found they went away scanning from the other side. Or perhaps this film has the markings written in an unusual direction, or perhaps I just haven't got a clue when it comes to colour film… I usually shoot and develop black and white. =)

In any case, couple of shots from Cyprus:

Larger sizes posted in my flickr. I think the scans showed pretty good detail up to over 50 megapixels (which caused even JPEGs to exceed the maximum photo size on flickr so the ones posted are not quite that high res).

The first photo is just some random lighthouse near Larnaka. The second is a miniature mosque on the courtyard of Büyük Khan—the 16th century “big inn” in Lefkosia/Nicosia, on the Turkish occupied (TRNC) side.

Last edited by Arkku on Wed Sep 15, 2010 2:48 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arkku, good shots. Please post more. Mike

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes please! These are good results, and I've long been Fuji 645 rf curious Laughing

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good results!
Colours don't look deranged as it often happens with Ektar film.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's another scan from the same roll of Ektar:

In retrospect I should have shot with a larger aperture but I was in a hurry to just snap something before the fast-approaching horde of children overran the bridge.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nesster wrote:
Yes please! These are good results, and I've long been Fuji 645 rf curious Laughing

+10

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
In retrospect I should have shot with a larger aperture but I was in a hurry to just snap something before the fast-approaching horde of children overran the bridge.

Laughing Laughing Laughing I bought 5 ND filter to make my shoots slow as possible and hopefully tourist will walk out from my pictures.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That bridge is nicely captured.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:

Laughing Laughing Laughing I bought 5 ND filter

dang, that's dark!
Shocked Laughing
Perhaps you should just do pinhole photo and solve problem! Laughing

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing I wish to get good results too Laughing

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
I bought 5 ND filter to make my shoots slow as possible and hopefully tourist will walk out from my pictures.

Sounds like a good plan, I've seen some very interesting “crowd mist” long exposures of city streets. Who makes the 5 stop ND filter, by-the-way? I have a 10 stop from B+W, and I think Hoya makes a 6 stop.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Click here to see on Ebay

I bought this set, seller is trustworthy I bought from him b+w polar filter too.

I am planning to stack 5 adapters Laughing

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:

I am planning to stack 5 adapters

Okay, that'll be interesting to see, everyone always warns not to stack filters. =)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arkku wrote:
Attila wrote:

Okay, that'll be interesting to see, everyone always warns not to stack filters. =)

What they say ? Why not to stack them ?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Arkku wrote:

Increased risk of flare and ghosting, vignetting with wider lenses, loss of light (but obviously not an issue with ND), and of course that any optical inaccuracies in every filter will add up.

But I think 5 ND filters is such a special case anyhow that absolute image quality won't matter that much and you didn't pay much for them, so please try it! =)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Arkku wrote:
Attila wrote:

- internal reflections

- last one is quite distant from front lens and may turn out in focus if you use a wide lens and a narrow aperture such as f/22

- almost sure vignetting with wide or normal lens

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read one guy did stack two without trouble , perhaps 5 will be too much right. Might be vignetting will be not come on my crop camera. I bought 5 pcs B+W filter for only 21 USD so I didn't risk much.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
I read one guy did stack two without trouble , perhaps 5 will be too much right. Might be vignetting will be not come on my crop camera. I bought 5 pcs B+W filter for only 21 USD so I didn't risk much.

Wow, what a bargain!

Personally, I would stack two heavy ones (like two ND 10 or ND16), rather than five medium or light ones.
Reason is that light has to pass through 5 glasses. Even if those are top quality glasses, still, it's a bit like photographing through five windows. I think some signal degradation due to 5 passages and slight ray deviations is to be expected. Also danger of ghost highlight images from one to the other, etc.