Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Aetna (Old Tamron) 200/3.5 T2 mount
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 4:47 am    Post subject: Aetna (Old Tamron) 200/3.5 T2 mount Reply with quote

This is yet another of the very nice early Tamrons, the first T-mount lenses.

This is a Tamron model 870, from 1963 as per Tamron -

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=ja&u=http://www.tamron.co.jp/data/old-lens/olm200f3_5.htm

This one was sold under the Aetna Rokunar brand, which is quite common. A variant name they used is Aetna Coligon. Most of these I have found under the Aetna or Soligor names, which may be the most common brands one can find these in the US. Various models of early Tamrons were also sold as Hanimex, Taika, Spectra, Astronar, Bell&Howell and no doubt others. And quite a few can even be found as Tamrons !

This model is fairly difficult to find, this may be the second one I spotted. It had a defective diaphragm (12 blades, loose from their holes), which is quite easy to fix on this simple lens, so I did.

Its a very simple preset lens, well finished in the nicer glossy enamel finish of the Aetna brand. The Soligors seem to have a less attractive satin finish. Like many (but not all) of these its a sturdy thing made of thick aluminum and brass, apparently meant to last forever. This particular one has a quirk - it looks like there was once a stop that limited minimum focus to 10ft/3m, but thats either been removed or its worn out, so now the thing focuses down to about 7ft/2m. What luck !

Performance is really very good in my opinion, its already quite sharp at f/3.5 in the right light, and gets better. It does suffer from flare in the center of the image under some conditions, this came and went for a reason I couldn't discover. I used a nice deep hood and I would strongly recommend that for this lens. Bokeh is quite nice I think.

At f/3.5 -

other apertures -

The bird -

crop -

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stunning! And who upgraded the bird?! Laughing

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very good. amazing what these old lenses can do.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob wrote:
Very good. amazing what these old lenses can do.

In the right hands! Wink

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HI LUIS!!!

Excelents pics. I think that no matter the lens, that are your pics.

Rino

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Were these shot handheld? Wink

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, all mine are handheld. I hate tripods. For a lot of this kind of photography where you have to look for the right moment with a moving animal (or a child) they just can't be used.

The Pentax DSLR bodies with IS are very useful, a lot of shots (like the owl) are now possible without tripods.

I was looking to try a monopod, but even that seems like a problem.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Magnificent colors, beautiful lights! Superb captures!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superb indeed! Where is the CA in those shots??? Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:
Yes, all mine are handheld.

Wow, that's impressive stuff!! I might as well give up now then Laughing

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still can not understand why some people hunting for best deal for new AF lenses, sometimes total crap and give up opportunity to have not expensive but amazing old treasuries. Many times old lenses, preset, with a lot of body wear are much, much better compare to new construction. Regarding Pentax some people want to have only what is "limited, starred, pancaked".
Luis, you have good hand to choose the lenses, but also you have a hand to take amazing photos. Beautiful photos.