Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

A zoom-nikkor 80-200 f/4.5 AiS sunset
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 5:35 pm    Post subject: A zoom-nikkor 80-200 f/4.5 AiS sunset Reply with quote

Most of my shots with this lens so far have not been super exciting. This one is okay. Some others the same day were just not really in focus. I'm finding the very loose focus ring hard to control.

D40, Zoom-Nikkor 80-200 f/4.5 AiS @200mm, f/5, 1/1600s ISO 800. I should really have dropped it down to ISO 400 and 1/800s.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well this one suggests the lens can perform well. I have to admit I require at least a week of shooting only with a specific lens to get the hang of it. Most have their own idiot-syncracies.

patrickh

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like it, the details on the horizon make the silhouette rich and varied compared to standard shots of this type - but I think you should crop the photo a lot on the bottom and perhaps also a bit on the top.
-

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

patrickh wrote:
Well this one suggests the lens can perform well. I have to admit I require at least a week of shooting only with a specific lens to get the hang of it. Most have their own idiot-syncracies.

Yes I think it can. I have two problems with it at present. First is the sized and weight, together with the long focal length means that very seady holding is needed compared to my next longest lens (24-120, which also is VR). Second is the combined zoom and focus ring, which is soo loose that it slides around by itself so you need to grip it with one hand to fold it in place.

Some shots looked ok in camera in the viewfinder and also zoomed in on the lcd, but back home on the computer at 100% they were not good enough. (not to sound like a broken record but liveview and a tripod ....)

Yes, its mainly a case of learning how to use it well.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey! Don't be so hard on yourself, Chris. Looking at the horizon line, I see nothing but beautiful crispness. The mood of the clouds above that horizon line counteracts the brightness very nicely.

Man, if you can do this well with a loosened zoom/focus mechanism, I have to thing you can get STELLAR results with a tripod and solid mechanics.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Laurence says the horizon looks crisp to me. I agree with Orio that a more panoramic crop would strengthen the image even further.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice colors Chris
I agree with the others about crop
I would crop a little of the left, a little of the right, a little of the bottom and a little of the top Laughing Wink