Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

A walk with the Enna Ennalyt 50mm f/1.9 (sockel)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 5:44 pm    Post subject: A walk with the Enna Ennalyt 50mm f/1.9 (sockel) Reply with quote

Strange lens, my one and only sockel lens. I got it for cheap (10 euros) so every result was welcome. Unfortunately the front element has numerous coating marks but that doesn't really show up (apart from the statue shot I think).

Having only one sockel lens kind of defies the purpose of the system of course, as I have no use for the sockel (the focusing mechanism) alone. So for now the Enna is 'just another M42-lens' for me.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Peter,

we all know that you can make any lens shine, but the ENNA lenses
for me are kind of overlooked and underrated. That mainly comes from teh last series they put on teh market, plastic thingies which are way from what they delivered to photographers before in the 50ies/60ies. The full metal coated "zebra" lenses for me are still the best of their whole series, including the "Sockel" type you tested today - very successfully I would dare to say...

Well, to be honest, I am a bit lop-sided, since I collect Enna lenses since long and I know the long time retired head of lens development, who impressed me a lot when we talked about lens design, being in his high 80ies now.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You've got nice results when the light is behind it but it is low contrast (which is not always bad) and seems prone to flare. It looks as if it performs quite well in the corners and edges.

Nice photos.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:

for me are kind of overlooked and underrated. That mainly comes from teh last series they put on teh market, plastic thingies which are way from what they delivered to photographers before in the 50ies/60ies. The full metal coated "zebra" lenses for me are still the best of their whole series, including the "Sockel" type you tested today - very successfully I would dare to say...

One thing is for sure: I really liked the build quality of this Particular Enna, much unlike the later plastic ones. I have owned several of the plastic ones but I threw away all of them. I didn't even try to sell them.

This reminds me to still get a fast 85mm f/1.5 Ennalyt Wink

Quote:

Well, to be honest, I am a bit lop-sided, since I collect Enna lenses since long and I know the long time retired head of lens development, who impressed me a lot when we talked about lens design, being in his high 80ies now.

That's interesting! Have you ever suggested to him to publish his memoirs? Would be very interesting I'm sure.

I read your p.s. before you deleted it (I'm fast, eh?) Of course, as a true Dutchman I'm officially a cheapskate Laughing Cool

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulC wrote:
You've got nice results when the light is behind it but it is low contrast (which is not always bad) and seems prone to flare. It looks as if it performs quite well in the corners and edges.

Nice photos.

Thanks, the lens is indeed a sound performer! I did not mention it, but looking at the results again it's nice to see that the lens does not exhibit any PF/lateral CA at all. At least there should be some visible in photo 4 (the top part), don't you think?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spotmatic wrote:
kds315* wrote:

One thing is for sure: I really liked the build quality of this Particular Enna, much unlike the later plastic ones. I have owned several of the plastic ones but I threw away all of them. I didn't even try to sell them.

This reminds me to still get a fast 85mm f/1.5 Ennalyt Wink

Quote:

That's interesting! Have you ever suggested to him to publish his memoirs? Would be very interesting I'm sure.

I read your p.s. before you deleted it (I'm fast, eh?) Of course, as a true Dutchman I'm officially a cheapskate Laughing Cool

Yep, I have a few of them laying around unused (Hey, someone wants a 3.5/135mm M42 just for shipping cost?? I have three or four of them just taking away space...)

Well, he had a heart attack, so I guess the least he would be interested in is writing memoirs. I had to restrict my time with him also because of that, but he enjoyed the prints I sent him later using his lens designs on moderns DSLRs.

[That was just too funny and temtring and I could not resist in the first place to respond to that "cheap", but a few minutes later I found it irrelevant and distracting from the subject (being way more important, so I deleted it... Wink Wink ]

You should try the 90mm (there is a 95mm also btw. and a very rare 100mm) and the easy to find "zebra" 2.8/135mm.

And yeah, I still have three or so "zebra" 1.5/85mm in M42, but that won't be "cheap".... Wink

A little teaser what that ENNA lens is capable of ...(image suppressed and replaced with link; I don't want to distract from Peter's great images...)

http://www.pbase.com/kds315/image/78566806/original.jpg

P.S.: There is a little book on Enna lenses showing all the lens designs and variants they made, incl. the Sockel types of course (in german language). Scroll to the end... http://photobutmore.de/exakta/objektive/enna/