Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

A true underdog series
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:59 pm    Post subject: A true underdog series Reply with quote

Now i am certain whole series of these silver beauties exist. And most of the lenses are good! Here Click here to see on Ebay.de for the first time 20mm.

I've tested 23mm, 2.8/100mm, 3.5/135mm 4.5/300mm all above average!

Question: so is it Tokyo Kogaku or maybe early Tamron (as i was suggested a while ago)? I've seen it branded as Beroflex.

p.s. please don't bid the above it will be mine Wink

Last edited by Pancolart on Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:04 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's Topcon RE-series, nothing to do with Tamron.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is that 100%? They exist in many mounts for instance Minolta MD, CANON FD and M42 for sure.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seele wrote:

And yet the style of the lettering reminds me very much of my Tamron 300mm HERE ???

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Seele wrote:

+1 ...

I don't believe that Tamron had something to do with Topcon ... I have seen a lot of pictures taken with Topcon lenses, and found their light and color rendering almost different from the one of old Tamrons ...

Maybe these lenses just shared their wear ...

Pancolart wrote:
Is that 100%? They exist in many mounts for instance Minolta MD, CANON FD and M42 for sure.

There are some conversion kits available on eBay. Basically, you replace the original Topcon/Exakta mount with an M42 mount (i think i have seen somewhere a conversion kit from Topcon to Pentax-K, too) ...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Huh, just a similarity in construction then? Here 23mm: Click here to see on Ebay.de ?

Found few more. 2.8/135mm: Click here to see on Ebay.de
3.5/200mm Click here to see on Ebay.de

Last edited by Pancolart on Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:38 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those Beroflex / Hanimex / Prinz Flex lenses look similar, but they are totally different. The Topcor lenses are beautiful made all metal lenses...they look superb. The Beroflex type lenses look more much more plasticky and remind me more of the early 70s silver Tamrons.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely nothing plastic about them though i didn't see real Topcons then Smile. So that lovely 20mm from first post is sadly excluded. And Tamron back in business right?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've also seen those silver lenses branded as Alpex if it helps. I had the silver Prinzflex branded 135/2.8 like this one:

Click here to see on Ebay

Lens was poor wide open compared to the Tamron 135/2.8 silver model. Looked good though! I believe the series is available in black too.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like they were also branded Elicar:

http://forum.mflenses.com/viewtopic.php?t=31415

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are very good to exceptional lenses. Sshhh.... keep it quiet...Laughing

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It will fetch high price , people know it and respect very well, nothing related except color and Made in Japan to Elicar, Tamron etc.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These RE-Topcors were finished in silver. Earlier Tamrons were finished in silver. That does not mean they're related.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManualFocus-G wrote:
I've also seen those silver lenses branded as Alpex if it helps.

Yes, i have a silver 28mm Alpex, and its IQ is far behind the Topcor lenses Crying or Very sad ...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only just seen this thread and adding my two centsworth . . . Just to emphasise that the Topcon/Topcor lenses are in a different world to the Beroflex and similar independent ones.The Topcon has a 'real' satin chrome finish, the others are a kind of anodising (I think!) that's smooth, almost paint-like, and a different colour as well. The 'silver' Tamrons have the same sort of finish which isn't too durable and soon gets dirty from finger marks. When you actually see examples it's obvious that they're not 'silver' at all.

I remember all these from selling them in the 1960s and 70s. I guess that the stylists were trying to add an impression of quality, and differentiating from other brands, through following the look of the Topcors. They certainly caught customers' attention, although the shiny black Tamrons easily outsold the 'silver' ones. I think by maybe five or six to one.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://camerapedia.wikia.com/wiki/T%C5%8Dky%C5%8D_K%C5%8Dgaku

K.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, definitely a classic RE Topcor lens, nothing to do with lesser brands! Wink

The 20mm, as the other wide-angle Topcors, is quite rare, making it very collectable. So I expect the price to rise a bit, maybe to around 200-300€. If you get it cheaper, it's a steal! Here's an example (notorious seller, so halve the price and get the "real" estimate...)

Click here to see on Ebay

...but it will possibly still be worth it, as the classic RE Topcor lenses just ooooze quality!

sami

(my RE Topcors: Re Topcor 200mm f/3.3, Re Auto Topcor 135mm f/3.5, Re Auto Topcor 200mm f/5.6, R Topcor 200mm f/4, Macro Topcor 135mm f/4, Re Auto Topcor 100mm f/2.8, Re Auto Topcor 35mm f/2.8, Re GN Topcor 50mm f/1.8, Re Topcor 55mm f/1.7, Re Auto Topcor 58mm f/1.8, Re Auto Topcor 28mm f/2.8, Re Auto Topcor 58mm f/1.4, Re GN Topcor 50mm f/1.4)