Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

A road
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 3:33 pm    Post subject: A road Reply with quote

Sigma 20/1.8

thanx for looking and C&C is welcomed

Tomas

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Tomas.
I like the autumn colors very much.
Your pictures are lightfull. Smile

We used to have such beautiful roads in France in the past.
Nowadays, trees along the roads have been cut... too dangerous.

#2 and #3 are quite similar but I prefer #2 because picture is not closed on the left side. On the contrary, #3 has a tree closing the left side.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you need the auto focus because the subject was moving so quickly? Smile Just kidding. For me, #2 and #4 are the best. For #4, I like the symmetrical framing and perspective. For #2, I like it because it's the opposite. Also, you have a nice color balance in each of the photos.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David wrote:
For me, #2 and #4 are the best. For #4, I like the symmetrical framing and perspective. For #2, I like it because it's the opposite. Also, you have a nice color balance in each of the photos.

ditto.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanx for the comments.
Quote:
Did you need the auto focus because the subject was moving so quickly?

no, but the cars and more so big trucks, are just "flying" on this road, no time to focus if you want to stay alive, it s a secondary road, i never seen a police patrol on it Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My faves are 2 and 4 too. Perhaps you should darken the blue (sky) a little bit to make it a little bit m o r e colourful and dramatically. Anyway - good eye for the scenery.

Wink

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanx Rolf, yes i agree about the sky. I have two Sigma lenses now, the 20/1.8 used here and the 24-60/2.8, one of the most under rated lenses i think. In the past i owned the 10-20/4-5.6, one trait of the Sigma lenses i noticed, is that when you have the sun in the frame or just out of it, the sky gets brighter of course, but not only that, it changes from blue to cyan, in other words it changes the hue in the blue. I never noticed this in any other lens i owned.

Tomas

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice road, Tomas, and good captures, but I think it was a subject for 1 or 2 photos, not 4. What do you think?
I'm saying this in a constructive spirit, not for polemics. Smile
If a professional (such as a newspaper editor for instance) would see this page, he would be annoyed by the fact that the photographer did not select his material but let the viewer do what is a part of the photographer's job.
In my opinion, #2 and #3 are almost identical, but also #1 and #4 have nearly the same subject with the same frontal point of view.
I say this, because in my opinion not choosing diminishes the impact of your work!
If there were only two different photos, the viewer would just think "wow, nice autumn road!".
With four similar photos, the viewer instead is distracted "hm... but this is the same as that..." and so on.
Think of photos like wine: two very similar photos in a show is like to have one glass of wine divided in two glasses and the rest filled with water. Not the best way to savor your good wine Wink

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

About the blue sky, I wonder what #4 would render with a polarizer filter.

To help Tomas choose between its pictures, I would say #2 and #4 for reasons already said. Smile

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
Nice road, Tomas, and good captures, but I think it was a subject for 1 or 2 photos, not 4. What do you think?
If a professional (such as a newspaper editor for instance) would see this page, he would be annoyed by the fact that the photographer did not select his material but let the viewer do what is a part of the photographer's job.
In my opinion, #2 and #3 are almost identical, but also #1 and #4 have nearly the same subject with the same frontal point of view.
I say this, because in my opinion not choosing diminishes the impact of your work!
If there were only two different photos, the viewer would just think "wow, nice autumn road!".
With four similar photos, the viewer instead is distracted "hm... but this is the same as that..." and so on.
Think of photos like wine: two very similar photos in a show is like to have one glass of wine divided in two glasses and the rest filled with water. Not the best way to savor your good wine Wink

Perfect point of view !
And beautiful places , also .I love these roads with trees , mainly in autumn .My favorites : the second and the fourth image.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Olivier wrote:

To help Tomas choose between its pictures, I would say #2 and #4 for reasons already said. Smile

I would choose #1 and #2
I prefer #1 over #4 because it has a more varied sideground.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
Olivier wrote:

I would choose #1 and #2
I prefer #1 over #4 because it has a more varied sideground.

Interesting, Orio. Smile
I prefer #4 because I see more horizon.
and in #1 bushes and trees on the mid plan at the right hide the far hills.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

numbers 1 ans 4 for me Cool

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanx guys for the comments! I am a bit surprised it got so many comments, it s alwasy a pleasure to see this.

Oliver, yes these roads are also disapearing here in Slovenia, to dangerous Sad

Quote:

Orio, no worries about being to harsh with critics, i prefer an honest and direct one, all too often on different forums you can only see positive comments on poor photos. And don t worry, after all i work in an aftersales job, i developed a thick skin Smile You are right, presenting my work is not my strongest point, just look at my pbase gallery Rolling Eyes I have to be less lazy Smile If we admit it or not, we are all flattered, we all care about how our pictures are accepted.

Intrestingly, a friend of mine who s a doctor, said that only a pearson with the left eye as a dominant one can like the first picture (my favourite) and in fact the left eye is my dominant eye Question

Thanks again
Tomas

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tomasg wrote:

Orio, no worries about being to harsh with critics, i prefer an honest and direct one, all too often on different forums you can only see positive comments on poor photos. And don t worry, after all i work in an aftersales job, i developed a thick skin Smile You are right, presenting my work is not my strongest point, just look at my pbase gallery Rolling Eyes I have to be less lazy Smile If we admit it or not, we are all flattered, we all care about how our pictures are accepted.

Actually, I have no critique on your photos, I think they are good!
But you need to select them so to avoid duplicates. Duplicates make your show weaker, and this is a damage that you do to yourself.
This is a trap where we all fall in from time to time. Made worse by digital, because it lets you take many photos at zero cost, while film forced people to be more sparing.
You know what apple cultivators do? Often apples tend to grow in bunches on the tree, because the flowers appear in bunches too.
When cultivators see a bunch of four apples growing together from the same stem, they remove two or three of them at an early stage,
so that the remaining one(s) can grow bigger and shops will buy. If they don't do that, they will obtain four small apples, that no shops want to buy.
Try to do like the apple cultivator when you select your photos Wink

Quote:
Intrestingly, a friend of mine who s a doctor, said that only a pearson with the left eye as a dominant one can like the first picture (my favourite) and in fact the left eye is my dominant eye Question

I think that your doctor has it right!!