Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

A question for all Zeiss lovers
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:13 am    Post subject: A question for all Zeiss lovers Reply with quote

Hi guys,

Ive been bitten by the zeiss glass bug, still not sure if its a good thing...Smile

Now Im looking to ad one more zeiss glass. So Im wondering Whats there to be had thats affordable in the 20-85 range (lets say under $250-300) if there is such thing at all.

I love fast glass, and am wondering what could I expect from Planar T* 50/1.4. Ive got Rokkor 50 1.4, SMC Tak 50 1.4 and Ive shot with Canon 50 1.4. What change could I expect in the Planar? I know that one pays extra for small kick in performance, so Im well aware that the difference wont be big, but Im pretty anal about lens performance, small things matter a lot to me when lenses are in question.

Also, how does old Planar fare against the new one?

Thanks

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You shouldn't overlook the Russian Zeiss copies.

Some of them are legendary in their own right like the Jupiter 9 and Helios 40. The Jupiter 3 1.5 50 is one I'm keen to track down.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi NothingMan,
you have already a very good 85mm, the Canon 85:1.8
the 50:1.8 can also give nice results
the Contax planar is the same as the new one with small differences like better coating, more blades and automatism

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

poilu wrote:
Hi NothingMan,
you have already a very good 85mm, the Canon 85:1.8
the 50:1.8 can also give nice results
the Contax planar is the same as the new one with small differences like better coating, more blades and automatism

I definitely love my canon 85 1.8, but i just wanted to hear opinion on some 'affordable' zeiss lenses out there. So any insight would be helpful.
BTW I dont mind having 2 85mm lenses Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: A question for all Zeiss lovers Reply with quote

NothingMan wrote:

I love fast glass, and am wondering what could I expect from Planar T* 50/1.4. Ive got Rokkor 50 1.4, SMC Tak 50 1.4 and Ive shot with Canon 50 1.4. What change could I expect in the Planar?

Nothing significant. All the lenses that you have mentioned have almost identical optical schemes. The Planar may give a slightly better performance against the sun due to better multicoating.

Quote:
I know that one pays extra for small kick in performance, so Im well aware that the difference wont be big, but Im pretty anal about lens performance, small things matter a lot to me when lenses are in question.

If you're the anal kind then I don't think you will be happy with most of Zeiss lenses. They are classical lens design. Most of them are not corrected as today's lenses with regards to lateral chromatic aberrations, curvature of field, the type of optical defects that Zeiss keeps in their lenses (in moderate quantity) because removing them would kill the classical design and lens character, which is something that is not measured analitically.
I think you will be happier with apochromatic lenses, such as some Cosina/Voigtlaender lenses, and aspherical designs, such as many recent Leica glass (recent = less than 30 years old).

NothingMan wrote:
Also, how does old Planar fare against the new one?

The new one is visibly sharper. The new one has some more lateral CA in critical situations. For the rest they are nearly identical.

Last edited by Orio on Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:56 am; edited 3 times in total

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Contax 28/2.8 MM is extremely hard to beat in terms of image quality. If you pick up one of those you you will probably never have to look for another 28 ever again.

The 50/1.4, AE or MM is very very nice too, but not 'special'.

JJ

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jjphoto wrote:
A Contax 28/2.8 MM is extremely hard to beat in terms of image quality. If you pick up one of those you you will probably never have to look for another 28 ever again.

The 50/1.4, AE or MM is very very nice too, but not 'special'.

JJ

+1 on the first bit, but the 50/1.4 is VERY special from f2.8, where the Zeiss "pop" takes effect. For me, that's what makes this 50mm the best I've ever tried.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would suggest Rollei/Contax Zeiss 2.8/85 - fantastic lens from wide-open and almost APO...you can still get it at reasonable prices.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carl Zeiss Contax series has no weak members quiet unique from this point of view all other manufacturers have at least one not so good lens in their series. So take what you need (focal length) and can afford it, it will be an excellent lens no exception.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Carl Zeiss Contax series has no weak members quiet unique from this point of view all other manufacturers have at least one not so good lens in their series..

What bad Leica lenses are there?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jjphoto wrote:

+1

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Carl Zeiss Contax series has no weak members quiet unique from this point of view all other manufacturers have at least one not so good lens in their series. So take what you need (focal length) and can afford it, it will be an excellent lens no exception.

+1

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If you're the anal kind then I don't think you will be happy with most of Zeiss lenses. They are classical lens design. Most of them are not corrected as today's lenses with regards to lateral chromatic aberrations, curvature of field, the type of optical defects that Zeiss keeps in their lenses (in moderate quantity) because removing them would kill the classical design and lens character, which is something that is not measured analitically.
I think you will be happier with apochromatic lenses, such as some Cosina/Voigtlaender lenses, and aspherical designs, such as many recent Leica glass (recent = less than 30 years old).

Thanks for the input, but maybe I haven used the right word to describe myself. I am pretty picky when it comes to lenses, however Im also well aware that there is no such thing as a perfect lens and that almost all lenses have some kind of fault. I certainly didnt try all the lenses but I spend days if not months researching a specific lens before i make the purchase.

Basically the qualities that are most important to me (In order of importance) are:

Speed (not quality related but I rarely If ever use flash so that is a must)
Sharpness
Bokeh
Colors and Contrast

Those three things could be also called a lens character i guess.

With all the other things such as curvature of field, CA, flare proneness etc I can live with, and I cant certainly expect any lens to be perfect in all departments.

Ive been saving and mulling over a canon 35 1.4L and Zeiss Distagon 35/2 for over a year now, but am not sure if i can afford one. Those lenses are way more expensive here than they are in the US.

However, Contax 28/2.8 just might be the thing Im looking for.
As for 50/1.4 lenses, problem with me is that none of the lenses Ive tried made me go wow, hence Im still looking for a dedicated 50/1.4 lens.

Thanks for all your help

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
+1 on the first bit, but the 50/1.4 is VERY special from f2.8, where the Zeiss "pop" takes effect. For me, that's what makes this 50mm the best I've ever tried.

I shoot predominantly wide open, so I guess Ill pass on the planar for time being. However, If I ever find a good deal for it Ill definitely give it a go.

Thanks

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys for all your help, as of now I am on the hunt for a Contax 28/2.8 Smile.

P.S. How does it fare vs canon 17-40?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DSG wrote:
Attila wrote:
Carl Zeiss Contax series has no weak members quiet unique from this point of view all other manufacturers have at least one not so good lens in their series..

What bad Leica lenses are there?

Find information on net and you will find how mixed quality they are.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Btw how do I know which contax 28/2.8 is a MM version? Anyone got phoyo of it?

Thanks

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NothingMan wrote:
Btw how do I know which contax 28/2.8 is a MM version?

The last aperture number is printed green instead of white.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NothingMan wrote:
...P.S. How does it fare vs canon 17-40?

I've never tested the 28/2.8 for flare but it would be difficult to beat the 17-40 in this regard. The 17-40 is an excellent lens.

Last edited by jjphoto on Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:04 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While not a direct comparison to 28/2.8, this is a lens test against 21/2.8

http://www.16-9.net/lens_tests/canon1740_nikon1735/c1740vn1735a.html

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used much more the Planar on the Aria, so this is a great lens. I like it espacially for it's sharpness, and color rendition, plus in low light it shines : )

as for the ZF version, i must use it for a while, to check pros and cons.

but still those lenses are worth the investment

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys.

Ive bought 17-40 after reading countless of rave reviews and somehow I was never truly satisfied with it. Another problem is that I predominantly use it as a fixed lens on the wide end, must have something to do with all my other lenses being primes.

Im seriously thinking of selling it to help funding zeiss 28/2.8 and a planar 50 1.4, and then I can probably let go all the other 50s I have Smile.

You have been great help guys, cheers.