Home
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

7artisans 35mm f/1.2 APSC
View previous topic :: View next topic  


PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:
I am also very interested.
The size and pocketability of the thing are attractive.

I'm one of those who found the Chinese 25/1.8 (Fujian/no name in my case) a perfectly acceptable, or even admirable lens for general use. It currently lives on my Nex 3/7. I have two of them. I would actually like a better made one that could get another stop or two.

I suspect the softness at infinity in the case of this copy of the 7artisans 35/1.2 is because the helical travel stops are misadjusted and the lens simply is not reaching infinity. A not unusual situation, I have run across this problem on lots of old lenses. Its a very likely fault when quality control isn't what it should be, also more apparent with a high degree of field curvature.

Yes. Even the lens is properly adjusted for infinity, the field curvature will make it impossible to get an edge to edge sharpness as indicated on the MTF diagram. For such fast Sonnar type lens, there will be focus shift due to uncorrected spherical aberration too.


PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

calvin83 wrote:
There is Voigtlander 35 1.2. It is much larger and expensive with better sharpness and contrast.


Thanks will check that one out as well...

Looking forward to seeing some reviews and shots done with the 7artisians...


PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was shooting with Voigtlander 35mm F1.2 for some time on X-E1. It's a great little lens with excellent center sharpness, but it's also quite pricy and heavy lens so it got sold.

Of course, Fuji has beautiful and optically awesome XF 35mm F1.4 which is more affordable these days. Though I like real manual focus more together with more reactive camera operations. So, when 7artisans released 35mm F1.2 for Fuji X mount I decided to try it.

Here's my short review of 7artisans 35mm F1.2 lens: https://yukosteel.wordpress.com/2018/01/21/7artisans-35mm-f1-2-lens-review/.




PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yukosteel wrote:
I was shooting with Voigtlander 35mm F1.2 for some time on X-E1. It's a great little lens with excellent center sharpness, but it's also quite pricy and heavy lens so it got sold.

Of course, Fuji has beautiful and optically awesome XF 35mm F1.4 which is more affordable these days. Though I like real manual focus more together with more reactive camera operations. So, when 7artisans released 35mm F1.2 for Fuji X mount I decided to try it.

Here's my short review of 7artisans 35mm F1.2 lens: https://yukosteel.wordpress.com/2018/01/21/7artisans-35mm-f1-2-lens-review/.



Welcome!


PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:37 am    Post subject: Review Reply with quote

My first post here, cheers. Smile

Here's another review I've encountered. Looks like a fun little lens. Surprisingly good considering specs, size and price. I already have their 25mm f/1.8 lens for Fuji, which I've fallen in love with (nice build quality, sharp in the center, nice bokeh, focuses close). So I've also ordered the 35mm lens. Might not be until February until I get mine, though.

https://www.35mmc.com/20/01/2018/7artisans-35mm-1-2-mini-super-sonnar/


PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you!
First real review I have seen!

Possibly the first real review on the Internet.

And a very good job indeed.

Performance seems just as would be expected from such a lens.

I am sure I will buy this.


PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Lupus78

Thanks for the link!


PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:
Welcome Lupus78

Thanks for the link!


I, too would like to say thank you Lupus78 for your input.
For the price, this looks to be excellent value - and you have some very nicely presented images.
If I did not already have the superb Fujifilm 1.4/35 I would definitely look at this one.
As it is, however I simply cannot fault the Fuji 35 - it is possibly the best lens that I own.
Having said that, the sonnar design of the 7 Artisans will lend itself to some beautiful rendering.
Happy snaps
Tom


PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot for the link! It is definitely the first review on the Internet (Darn -it , wanted to try my hand at reviewing Very Happy). I've received my second copy on Friday. Happy to report infinity sharpness is slightly better, but still nowhere near what I would think normal. However, stopping down to F/4 yields acceptable result there. The focusing has very short travel between 1M and infinity, so focusing on medium to long distances is a bit fiddly.

I love the bokeh at any aperture, very smooth. Actually prefer the less chaotic bokeh at F1.4 to the one wide open. The rendering is very Sonnar with all its pros and cons. Given the size of the lens, it is a winner. Will try to post a few pictures later.

All in all, to those, who say it is a soft lens with uneven sharpness, yes, it is true. However, if in your mind, you treat it as 35/2 lens, you won't be disappointed (still tiny for even 35/2). It's a delightful toy that can give you comparable or better picture quality to many vintage lenses (and there are no comparable lenses of the same aperture and size).

Only downside - MFD of 35 cm, they should really have taken a page from the 25/1.8.


PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

atiratha wrote:
I've received my second copy on Friday. Happy to report infinity sharpness is slightly better, but still nowhere near what I would think normal. However, stopping down to F/4 yields acceptable result there. The focusing has very short travel between 1M and infinity, so focusing on medium to long distances is a bit fiddly.


It's quite easy to calibrate the infinity focus on this lens. I've just posted the guide here:
https://yukosteel.wordpress.com/2018/01/22/7artisans-35mm-f1-2-calibrating-infinity/


PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome yukosteel

Thanks for the guide!

Thank you!


PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! It's a great forum with a ton of useful information, I'm happy to participate : )

Earlier or later I'll go for non-destructive disassembly of 7artisans 35mm F1.2
I think it should collect the dust over time, so the cleaning may be required, and it will definitely trigger forward my curiosity.


PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yukosteel wrote:
Thanks! It's a great forum with a ton of useful information, I'm happy to participate : )

Earlier or later I'll go for non-destructive disassembly of 7artisans 35mm F1.2
I think it should collect the dust over time, so the cleaning may be required, and it will definitely trigger forward my curiosity.


Yukosteel, it's a fantastic guide! Did you use standard Torx screwdriver or some of its variants? (TT, Tx IP). I'm definitely going to try it.


PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldhand wrote:
If I did not already have the superb Fujifilm 1.4/35 I would definitely look at this one. As it is, however I simply cannot fault the Fuji 35 - it is possibly the best lens that I own.


Yeah, I've had the f/1.4 earlier but couldn't stand it's noisy and slow AF. Otherwise it's quite the perfect lens. Currently I have the 35mm f2, which is even "more perfect" with it's awesome autofocus and weather sealing, but sometimes I wish it had the f/1.4 aperture. So the new 7artisans should be a nice partner for this native Fujinon. Currently I don't have other native Fuji lenses other than 7artisans 25mm and Fujinon 35mm F2, since I'm more focused on my Sony A7II and FE lenses along my vintage collection (which I use both on full frame Sony as well as on crop sensor Fuji).

Ps. thanks for yukosteel for the infinity calibration tip. Might need it when I get my own lens. Very Happy


PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

atiratha wrote:

Yukosteel, it's a fantastic guide! Did you use standard Torx screwdriver or some of its variants? (TT, Tx IP). I'm definitely going to try it.


I think it's standard T1 or T2. I've used caliper to measure distance between 1st and 3rd Torx pins of the bit I used, and it is 1.0mm
I've noticed blue spots on Torx bolts threads so they are secured firm in the focus ring.


PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lupus78 wrote:

Yeah, I've had the f/1.4 earlier but couldn't stand it's noisy and slow AF. Otherwise it's quite the perfect lens. Currently I have the 35mm f2, which is even "more perfect" with it's awesome autofocus and weather sealing, but sometimes I wish it had the f/1.4 aperture. So the new 7artisans should be a nice partner for this native Fujinon.


Yes, Fujinon XF 35mm F1.4 optics is outstanding. Few months back I've purchased it again to disassemble and check if the lens can be converted to manual focus only. My point was to keep the electronic aperture working and detected by camera, but disconnecting focus ring from the AF drive.

Mechanically, the XF 35mm F1.4 has real focus ring right under the drive-driven outer manual focus ring. I've removed outer focus ring, disconnected the AF drive gear from the inner focus ring, and also lens contacts from camera. In such mode you can use true manual focus, and it's moving quite smooth. I love how it works that way without using AF drive, completely silent.

Unfortunately the aperture is electronically controlled, so without lens contacts the lens will be constant F1.4.
I've tried XF 35mm F1.4 lens on camera with electronics connected, just removed the AF drive - then camera fails to start showint lens error message.
I've also tried it with AF drive connected to electronics, just loated it outside of the lens. In this case camera starts and electronic aperture got set to the value of aperture ring, but camera then tries to AF lens and detects that AF is not focusing the lens, then again the error message is shown to turn the camera off.

I wish there is a simple way to get manual control over the aperture, then I'd use converted XF 35mm F1.4 in pleasant fully manual focus mode without any electronics in it (and related camera delays and AF hunting in low light). But it is not possible without non-reversive modifications.


PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, just discovered how to run partial disassembly of 7artisans 35mm F1.2 rear area.

https://yukosteel.wordpress.com/2018/01/25/7artisans-35mm-f1-2-lens-partial-disassembly/



PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very useful, thank you yukosteel.

It is obviously made for easy insertion in the manufacturing process of different lensmounts.


PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very interested in this lens, thanks everyone for the reviews and information.

I'm considering this lens to replace my old Olympus Pen-F Zuiko 38mm f/1.8 which recently died. Any chance we could get 100% crops or full-sized samples at various apertures?


PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anacondo wrote:
Any chance we could get 100% crops or full-sized samples at various apertures?
I should receive my copy today or tomorrow. I'll make a few shots using tripod and remote, I'm really curious myself Mr. Green

I'll also bring it on a small trip in february, to determine handling & convenience outdoors.


PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ordered one yesterday, very excited to get it!


PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK got mine today.

Size is almost identical to the 7artisans 25 1.8 but a bit heavier (more glass inside)

Handling is much improved, due to the focus ring being dented (on the 25, the difference between focus and aperture ring was too small, leading to regular mistakes)

Usable wide open, but of course super-thin depth of field at close focusing distances.

Just a few quick test snaps:

#1 1.2


#2 1.7 or so


#3 2.8


#4 5.6


#5 1.2


#6 1.2


PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sjak wrote:
OK got mine today.

Size is almost identical to the 7artisans 25 1.8 but a bit heavier (more glass inside)

Handling is much improved, due to the focus ring being dented (on the 25, the difference between focus and aperture ring was too small, leading to regular mistakes)

Usable wide open, but of course super-thin depth of field at close focusing distances.

Looks pretty nice! Very interested to see more, especially the borders at f/4-5.6 at infinity. I hear it has a 9 blade diaphragm, are you able to get any sunstars in brilliant points of light at f/11 or smaller?

Also, where are you guys buying yours, and for how much? Any reputable sellers in Europe?

Thanks for the samples.


PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got mine on Amazon US, shipped from China, delivered in EU.

As for corners at infinity... cant test now, but somehow I have a feeling that if this matters a lot, this is not the lens for you.


PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sjak wrote:
I got mine on Amazon US, shipped from China, delivered in EU.

As for corners at infinity... cant test now, but somehow I have a feeling that if this matters a lot, this is not the lens for you.

I'm looking for an all-rounder lens that I can use for everyday stuff as well as for the occasional landscape/cityscape shots. I'm also considering the Zonlai 35mm f/1.8, but it seems that all these lenses have either crazy field curvature or awful borders. Quite interested about this one Smile