Home
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

7artisans 35mm f/1.2 APSC
View previous topic :: View next topic  


PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:01 pm    Post subject: 7artisans 35mm f/1.2 APSC Reply with quote

http://www.7artisans.com/h-col-185.html

This looks pretty much like the focal length/aperture combination I was waiting for, in a package that I will actually carry with me often. The size and weight of a RF-lens, without the limitation of the 0.8-1m closest focus distance of RF-lenses.

Has anyone already tried it?


PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we can treat it as the mini-version of the 50/1.1 from 7artisans as it is also a super fast Sonnar type lens.


PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's the IQ like?


PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
What's the IQ like?
That, nobody knows yet, also have not seen any prices yet.


PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meanwhile, it is listed on Amazon, and price is low:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078N2Y8WL/ref=sr_1_11?m=A2LAMUAQDHCHOF&s=merchant-items&ie=UTF8&qid=1514404034&sr=1-11

Next payday, I order one Happy Dog


PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This does look very nice!
I may get one too, for the Nex.


PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why don't they do full frame lenses??


PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big R wrote:
Why don't they do full frame lenses??

There also made a 50 1.1 in M mount.
http://www.7artisans.com/h-col-114.html


PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought my LBA is gone, but I just had to order one for that price. Love the size, don't really love the MFD (wish it was a bit closer, maybe 28 cm). Hope to post review as soon as it arrives. If it's anything like their 50/1.1, I will love it.


PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I couldn't resist, just ordered it Thank You Dog


PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of their other products like the 2.8/12 look very interesting, but until I see more detailed reviews, I'm skeptical of their quality. The 1.8/25 that came out first is a Zonlai rebadged and while it has a sharp centre, the corners are crap, smudgy and too much vignetting on APS-C and still not great on M43.

It's good to see the new wave of manual lenses coming to market, but too many of them seem designed for Asian tastes where they are mostly shot wide open so bokeh and centre performance are important and the corners and general purpose performance are substandard, which describes the 1.8/25.


PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For general purpose, I found the 25 1.8 fine, as a walkaround lens. Pixelpeeping will obviously reveal all kinds of "character" Mr. Green

Myself, I have no issue with sharpness mainly in the center: it is a matter of framing in such a way that the subject is not in the corners of the pic. If your style usually puts the subject in the corners, it's not a lens for you Smile

Of course it is not in the same league as a Zeiss or Leica ASPH, but for $70 incl shipping, I have seen much worse Wink

I am curious how the 35 1.2 will please me. I have been delaying purchase of the Mitakon 35 0.95 because the lens is too big and heavy to carry as a small/discrete walkaround setup, and this 7artisans may very well kill my desire for the Mitakon. For a while I have been weighing on e.g. a Summilux 35 (pre-asph) or CV 35 1.4. Partly because of the minimum focusing distance of RF-lenses, partly because a 1.4 35 may be too close to my Summicron 40, and of course there are no cheap 35mm M Summiluxes (which I would prefer over the CV, even though the optical design is similar)


PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sjak wrote:
For general purpose, I found the 25 1.8 fine, as a walkaround lens. Pixelpeeping will obviously reveal all kinds of "character" Mr. Green

Myself, I have no issue with sharpness mainly in the center: it is a matter of framing in such a way that the subject is not in the corners of the pic. If your style usually puts the subject in the corners, it's not a lens for you Smile

Of course it is not in the same league as a Zeiss or Leica ASPH, but for $70 incl shipping, I have seen much worse Wink

I am curious how the 35 1.2 will please me. I have been delaying purchase of the Mitakon 35 0.95 because the lens is too big and heavy to carry as a small/discrete walkaround setup, and this 7artisans may very well kill my desire for the Mitakon. For a while I have been weighing on e.g. a Summilux 35 (pre-asph) or CV 35 1.4. Partly because of the minimum focusing distance of RF-lenses, partly because a 1.4 35 may be too close to my Summicron 40, and of course there are no cheap 35mm M Summiluxes (which I would prefer over the CV, even though the optical design is similar)


I am with you on the size thing. With RF glass, you also have to look at the corner degradation on digital due to sensor stack. The MFD is not such a big deal, if you get a helicoid-enabled adapter. My 0,7m focusing lenses suddenly focus as close as I need and the added benefit is, I can leave them on infinity and focus closer to alter the bokeh characteristics. BTW, my favourite walkaround is definitely Nokton Classic 40/1.4, so the 7artisans feels like it will fit the bill nicely. I just have a bit of trepidation about the 35 cm MFD. It's what made me never to really get attached to Fuji XF 27/2.8 and sometimes feels a bit distant on the Mitakon as well.


PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For $145 I'd get myself a Flektogon 35mm and I'd be happy with the f2.4 or even the f2.8 ... Wink


PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rigel wrote:
For $145 I'd get myself a Flektogon 35mm and I'd be happy with the f2.4 or even the f2.8 ... Wink
Yep, great lens. It's just that for now, I want a 35 faster than approx. 1.8. This adds a lot of flexibility if used in a 1-lens-setup, especially indoors/after dark.

atiratha wrote:
I am with you on the size thing. With RF glass, you also have to look at the corner degradation on digital due to sensor stack. The MFD is not such a big deal, if you get a helicoid-enabled adapter. My 0,7m focusing lenses suddenly focus as close as I need and the added benefit is, I can leave them on infinity and focus closer to alter the bokeh characteristics. BTW, my favourite walkaround is definitely Nokton Classic 40/1.4, so the 7artisans feels like it will fit the bill nicely. I just have a bit of trepidation about the 35 cm MFD. It's what made me never to really get attached to Fuji XF 27/2.8 and sometimes feels a bit distant on the Mitakon as well.
What LM/Fuji helicoid adapter do you use? The one I have does not really get that much closer, especially with RF-lenses with a MFD of 1 meter such as the Jupiter 3.

Re. the Nokton 1.4: if somehow I do not find a Summilux at an acceptable price within next year, the Nokton 1.4 is a very good alternative, especially a single coated. BTW the Ultron seems very highly regarded in Leica-circles, did you ever try that one?

As for the Fuji 27, I tried to bond with it, but somehow, in any combination of lenses I would take with me, it would always end up in the bag. So I sold it and it funded my 1952-vintage Jupiter-3.


PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks very interesting. As does their whole lineup, more or less. Even if it's crap outside of some very specific use cases, what do you expect for a price like that when comparable (but guaranteed high quality) products from traditional manufacturers cost 10 or 20 times as much?


PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm happy enough with their M mount 1.2/50 that I couldn't resist ordering one of these at this price. That said, I already have their other products covered with Meike, Discover or other labeled lenses.

If nothing else, at these prices, I can set up a small kit with an NEX-3N, Kamlan 1.1/50 and a couple of Meike wides that will give me good images and won't be so expensive that I would be afraid to go out with it.

Update, 12/28: Amazon just told me that my copy has been shipped, with an expected delivery date of Feb. 23.


PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Sjak"]
Rigel wrote:
For $145 I'd get myself a Flektogon 35mm and I'd be happy with the f2.4 or even the f2.8 ... Wink

Flektogon is awesome, especially the close focusing capability. And the beautiful rendering! But with the M42 adapter, it is even bigger than the Mitakon, so sadly, I don't use it as much as I used to. Also, you can still get the Flektogon for that price? I find that these well-known lenses have skyrocketed in price in recent years.

Quote:
What LM/Fuji helicoid adapter do you use? The one I have does not really get that much closer, especially with RF-lenses with a MFD of 1 meter such as the Jupiter 3.

I don't really remember which one I bought (no logo on it), but given the physical limitation of the mount(small difference of register distances), I doubt there is much difference in close focusing ability between them. Yeah, it doesn't focus very close with the Jupiter-11 either, but that lens has I think 1,5m MFD. I think with the 0,7m lenses, it gets just close enough not to feel limiting to me. Gotta test with my J-8.

Quote:
Re. the Nokton 1.4: if somehow I do not find a Summilux at an acceptable price within next year, the Nokton 1.4 is a very good alternative, especially a single coated. BTW the Ultron seems very highly regarded in Leica-circles, did you ever try that one?


Which ultron do you mean? 35/1.7? I only tried the 28/2 and it is the lens that gave me the Voigtlander bug. However, as you say, both are very well regarded, especially the 1.7.
Quote:


Last edited by atiratha on Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:41 am; edited 1 time in total


PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

atiratha wrote:


I am with you on the size thing. With RF glass, you also have to look at the corner degradation on digital due to sensor stack.



This thread on FM http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1453834/92 (sorry its page 92 not the start)and this index to it https://vahonen.info/secure/wiki/index.php/Sony_A7_-_Thick_filter_stack_issues

show for several rf lenses how a front end lens can clear up most of the issues the sensor stack causes. It only covers Zeiss lenses and two Voigtlander and two Leica Summilux-M.

I doubt the fact it is around 65UKP or USD per lens makes it not worthwhile for every rf lens.


PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Some of their other products like the 2.8/12 look very interesting, but until I see more detailed reviews, I'm skeptical of their quality.

Their 50 1.1 in M mount is getting some nice accolades around the place. Certainly a specialist lens, ie low light portraiture but it seems the bang/buck ratio is quite decent.


PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I just received mine. Since I am at work, there was not much time for testing, so I will stick to basics. The lens is tiny! Even smaller than Voigtlander 35/1.4 (which of course comes with adapter), almost a pancake size that fits Fuji X-T20 really well.

Haptics - focusing ring is in front with deep knurls, putting it somewhere between focusing ring and focus tab. Not a bad solution, reminds me of LTM Industar 61. The aperture ring is at the back of the lens and is declicked. However, the aperture ring position mostly precludes unwanted aperture change, which was a frequent complaint with the 50/1.1

However, I suspect my lens is slightly faulty, since it is very soft at infinity, even stopped down to 2.8 and very soft compared to Mitakon 35/0.95 wide open. I suspect the infinity has to be calibrated or maybe the mount tightened. I emailed 7artisans and hope they will let me know how to fix it myself, since I don't really want to part with the lens.

At closer distances: The 35 cm MFD is a bit too much, as suspected (30 or 28 would be perfect). From the first test shots in the office - nice buttery bokeh and good separation of sharp zone from bokeh. Overall, when I hopefully fix the infinity, I think I will fall in love with the lens. Heck, even treating it like a 35/2, the lens would be awesome.

Also, the colors seem to be more vivid with 7artisans than Mitakon. I can't put my finger on it yet, but the colors were something that caught my attention the moment I looked through the viewfinder.

Edit: I sent an e-mail to 7artisans about the infinity issue. They got back to me very quickly, sending an address and promising to replace my fauly piece. So far, I must say, very good customer service.


Last edited by atiratha on Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:46 am; edited 1 time in total


PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, keep us updated please! Mine was finally shipped yesterday, so will probably need to wait a few weeks.


PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also interested in this lens. I have been searching for a fast 35mm for my X-T2. Would love hearing your feedback on how it performs... Only thing I am not too keen on is the de-clicked aperture ring...

Are there any other 35/1.2 lenses?


PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperSirLink wrote:
Also interested in this lens. I have been searching for a fast 35mm for my X-T2. Would love hearing your feedback on how it performs... Only thing I am not too keen on is the de-clicked aperture ring...

Are there any other 35/1.2 lenses?

There is Voigtlander 35 1.2. It is much larger and expensive with better sharpness and contrast.


PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am also very interested.
The size and pocketability of the thing are attractive.

I'm one of those who found the Chinese 25/1.8 (Fujian/no name in my case) a perfectly acceptable, or even admirable lens for general use. It currently lives on my Nex 3/7. I have two of them. I would actually like a better made one that could get another stop or two.

I suspect the softness at infinity in the case of this copy of the 7artisans 35/1.2 is because the helical travel stops are misadjusted and the lens simply is not reaching infinity. A not unusual situation, I have run across this problem on lots of old lenses. Its a very likely fault when quality control isn't what it should be, also more apparent with a high degree of field curvature.