Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

7 shots (Olympus 35 RC on Kodak BW400CN)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:56 pm    Post subject: 7 shots (Olympus 35 RC on Kodak BW400CN) Reply with quote

Hi!

I just got back a film roll that has been in my Olympus 35RC and honestly, I love the Kodak BW400CN...

Frankfurt 1

Frankfurt 2

Winter

Marburg 1

Marburg 2

Marburg 3

Marburg 4

How do you like them?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like them, the 400CN look a nice negative
the oly 35RC is also very good and give nice "colors" for this cloudy day

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the photos, all carefully composed. I tihnk that the first two (the "modern" ones) are the most effective. Also they benefit of some clouds to give life to the sky (which is one of the limitations of B&W photography).
-

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice shots, Carsten. I love the Olympus 35RC, is a wonderful camera.
Hope to meet you in Frankfurt some time in the future, and for shure I'll bring mine Smile.

jes.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice shots - 2, 3 and 4 are particularly good.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers. I think it is a pleasure to "compose" with this little Oly. I can't say why, it just is fun!
And since you can manually set the aperture (in contrast to my Minolta Hi-Matic F which is an all-auto cam) you can choose the DoF.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice Carsten! Remember our conversation about B&W contrast? These pics are just right, and very impressive for a 400 film. Did you scan them yourself?

I like No 7 (Marburg 4) best, the way the tree frames the buildings. I like 1 & 2 as well, but if I can be really picky, I'd prefer No 1 with a more elevated position so that the trees don't mask the other side of the river, and No 2 further back to get more of the bridge in the pic or further forward so that the bridge doesn't block the view.

Is that your bike or was Hubert with you that day? Smile

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:
Very nice Carsten! Remember our conversation about B&W contrast? These pics are just right, and very impressive for a 400 film. Did you scan them yourself?

No, I still am looking for a good but affordable scanner that also can process medium format.

peterqd wrote:
I like No 7 (Marburg 4) best, the way the tree frames the buildings. I like 1 & 2 as well, but if I can be really picky, I'd prefer No 1 with a more elevated position so that the trees don't mask the other side of the river, and No 2 further back to get more of the bridge in the pic or further forward so that the bridge doesn't block the view.

I completely agree with your thoughts, Peter. I just had no other choice when shooting the Franfurt shots, in front of me there was a wall down the the level you see at the bottom of the pic and behind me a street with one lane closed due to building activities. And for the first pic, an elevated position was not possible. But you're right with your comments.

peterqd wrote:
Is that your bike or was Hubert with you that day? Smile

Laughing

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm guessing you don't use a filter or do you fit a yellow?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richard_D wrote:
I'm guessing you don't use a filter or do you fit a yellow?

No, don't have a fitting yellow one. Would be nice, though.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice series, but Marburg 3 is my favourite. To see the window through the ivy, you must have a well-trained eye Wink

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly, these are fabulous, if you ask me...(of course, you didn't actually ask me! Laughing ).

The results from the combination of the 35RC and the BW400CN are as though the two were made for each other. If I saw results like these, I think I would just keep a constant roll of the 400CN in that camera, ready to go at any time!

The cloud detail and graduated tones in the 1st and 2nd images is spectacular. Here you had a very gray day, yet the high speed film pulled the tones out in a beautiful way.

The 3rd image (of the branches with the field and trees in the background) is superb. The falloff in the background is smooth and rich. I don't offhand know the lens used in the 35RC, but it certainly is a fine piece of glass.

Take a look at the RICH tones in the last four images of urban scenes. I am amazed at the way the tones seem so warm and DEEP. The subject matter really lends itself to compelling me to study the whole scene.

Totally interesting, and totally wonderful shots, Carsten. WOW!

note: Do you happen to know how the lab scanned these? What equipment do they use and resolution? If you don't know, that's okay Carsten...just curious!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, I didn't expect such praise. And if it comes from an excellent photographer like you, Laurence, it means a lot to me. Thanks.

The lab that scanned these pics is my local photo store. They have their own scanner in a lab nearby. Actually they are not really good with slides, just OK with colour film, very good with silver black and white and they always do a great job with C-41 black and white. That's one of the reasons why I love the BW400CN so much!

As for the parameters they use, I do not know. But I can and will ask them...

P.S.: I did some photoshop pp to optimize (for me) the images.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
Wow, I didn't expect such praise. And if it comes from an excellent photographer like you, Laurence, it means a lot to me. Thanks.

The lab that scanned these pics is my local photo store. They have their own scanner in a lab nearby. Actually they are not really good with slides, just OK with colour film, very good with silver black and white and they always do a great job with C-41 black and white. That's one of the reasons why I love the BW400CN so much!

As for the parameters they use, I do not know. But I can and will ask them...

P.S.: I did some photoshop pp to optimize (for me) the images.

Well, I know what I like when I see it, and these are truly fine. Again, taking a look at the stonework and the cobbles, and the shadows and light -- it seems that it would be difficult to improve on these.

Interesting about the lab's expertise with black and white, but not necessarily the colour emulsions -- my local lab is the opposite -- good with colour emulsions and lousy with black and white.

And of course photoshop should be used to optimize the images for viewing, that is one thing that it is great for! Laughing

Would love to see more from this fine combination of camera and film.