Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

300mm or longer - what is your advice?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 9:03 pm    Post subject: 300mm or longer - what is your advice? Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm currently using a Vivitar 400mm f5.6 when I want to shoot birds.

I got that lens for 10 euros, so I can't really complain.

However, it has some horrible CA problems. More specific red fringing (not purple). This really is a burden because I have to photoshop each and every shot to get it acceptable.

So I'm in the market for a "new" tele. Can be a zoom, can be a prime.

I'm not looking for the sharpest lens out there. USM is easy in photoshop and I don't mind applying it. So that should keep the cost down.

What I do want, are acceptable CA levels. If my Pentacon 4/200 can produce almost CA-free results, this must be possible in longer lenses too right?

I don't have a large budget, so I'm not looking for the "top" lenses, just an acceptable one.

I don't need this one fast, so I'm not in a hurry. Just wanted to ask you guys' advice.

thanks,

Tom

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the smc Pentax F* 300 4.5 ED (IF) and its an amazing thing.

its good on all counts. But it will cost arround 600 euro for a good one.

The FA version has the same optic quality but th F is better build. Only minor thing is comming from Af to MF, you need to switch to MF on the lens and on the camera.

Good also is the Sigma 400 5.6 APO. With a bid of luck you get a good copy for 50 euro. Has some CA problem but not that much.
There is a AF version with MACRO behind the name. This is a lot better in quality, costc about 200 euro.

A tair 300 snaiper is also very good I konw one in Belgium for 60 euro.

Just sent me a mail or PM.

Guido

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to ask you to give me 11 full size images for mflenses.com/gallery and one from the lens itself. I will give you an ftp access if ok. Please let me know your decision. I suggest to you to buy a Novoflex 400mm lens.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jigt wrote:
A tair 300 snaiper is also very good...

Although there are different opinions about this lens, I agree to Jigt. The Tair 4.5/300 offers great value. I do not know another lens that provides a better performance for such a price.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Possibly the tamron sp 300? I am not sure what price it would go for mine was given to me but it has a faulty iris. but I have heard many good reports about it. Also there is the Tamron SP 500 mirror lens which seems to go for under Ł50 and comes up regularly.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys, I'll take all the advice under consideration.

If I find one of these that fits on my Pentax ist DL, at a reasonable price, I might buy it Smile
But like I said: I'm not in a rush Wink

Tom

P.S.: those sniper lenses, can they be focused like regular lenses too?

P.P.S.: I dont like the bokeh on mirror lenses, so I won't buy one of those

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am very happy with the CZJ Sonnar 4/300 for Pentacon 6. It is however a big heavy lens. If you walk much and portability is important, I would look for a smaller lens. Rob Leslie shoots a lot of bird images so he can maybe give you some good advice.

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I take a lot of bird photos (As Orio pointed out) and finding a good lens isn't easy. If you want to take good bird photos you need a lens that will resolve fine feather detail. Even if you are only going to print to 7 x 5 in you are going to be reproducing at around twice life size. I have the Sigma f5.6 400 APO, that won't do the job, unless the sun shines brightly and you stop it right down. I have the f4 300mm Pentacon that wont it ever, I also have the Tair 300 and that doesn't come near. The only ones I know that will consistantly perform in most situations without having to stop down to f11 and doesn't cost a fortune are the Tamron SP f5.6 300mm or the Tamron SP 60-300mm zoom. I have faith that the f4 300mm Takumar would also be good but I have only seen example photos and have never tried one. If your budget can stretch a little (Ł250) you should check out the Tamron SP f2.8 300. I always use 300mm for bird photos. It is far better to practice getting close rather than accepting the lower quality most 400mm will give you. Going longer than 300mm also puts a lot more strain on your focus skills. I have an excellent 400mm a F4.5 Fujinon which is pin sharp but for bird photos the focus is too slow and criticle.

Tamron SP F5.6 300mm

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
I would like to ask you to give me 11 full size images for mflenses.com/gallery and one from the lens itself. I will give you an ftp access if ok. [/url].

Tom I asking again please say yes or no ! I don't like if no answer!

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Attila wrote:
I would like to ask you to give me 11 full size images for mflenses.com/gallery and one from the lens itself. I will give you an ftp access if ok. [/url].

Tom I asking again please say yes or no ! I don't like if no answer!

Oh you mean when I get the lens?

Yeah sure if I get one I'd be happy to send you testsamples,Smile

but don't expect it too soon. I will probably only buy one next month or so...

the study period for the final exams has started here, so I wouldnt have time to properly test the lens if I got it now.

Tom

P.S.: I will probably go for a Tamron SP 300 f5.6 or 60-300mm

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with this completely:

Quote:
It is far better to practice getting close rather than accepting the lower quality most 400mm will give you. Going longer than 300mm also puts a lot more strain on your focus skills.

This example is made with my 300 and a 1.4 tc.

I did not need the Tc but it was a test. to give you an idea. distance 2.2 meters, 35mm equivalent 300 x 1.4 =420mm x 1.5 (cropfactor) =630mm.
Of course you need a hide.

http://home.scarlet.be/geystersveld/forum/roodborstje_kl.jpg

This one is made at same distance but without the TC.

http://home.scarlet.be/geystersveld/forum/koolmees.jpg

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Oh you mean when I get the lens?

Yeah sure if I get one I'd be happy to send you testsamples,Smile

but don't expect it too soon. I will probably only buy one next month or so...

the study period for the final exams has started here, so I wouldnt have time to properly test the lens if I got it now.

Tom

P.S.: I will probably go for a Tamron SP 300 f5.6 or 60-300mm

Oh I see I thought you already have it. I strongly advice to you listen to Rob and buy a Tamron SP 300 f/5.6 that is phenomenal lens. 60-300 also ok , but the prime little better. If you get Vivitar 400mm f/5.6 please don't forget my request. Many thanks!

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Oh I see I thought you already have it. I strongly advice to you listen to Rob and buy a Tamron SP 300 f/5.6 that is phenomenal lens. 60-300 also ok , but the prime little better. If you get Vivitar 400mm f/5.6 please don't forget my request. Many thanks!

Oh, you mean images from the Vivitar? Yeah sure, I already have that one, but it's the reason I want to buy a new tele, the 400mm is absolute garbage.
It has terrible CA problems.

I'll see if I can make some time to deliver those 11 images to you somewhere this week Attila.

I'll be buying a Tamron SP 60-300mm as soon as I can get the money together, I found one in mint condition.

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Oh, you mean images from the Vivitar? Yeah sure, I already have that one, but it's the reason I want to buy a new tele, the 400mm is absolute garbage.
It has terrible CA problems.

I'll see if I can make some time to deliver those 11 images to you somewhere this week Attila.

Yes, I would get Vivitar images ! Thanks!

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This could go cheap!

T2?

Click here to see on Ebay

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

as other already mentioned
- if 300mm is enough -
The Tamron SP 5.6/300 or the TamronSP 60-300
both for adaptall-system.
The sharpest 300mm-solutions I ever tried - sharper than Sigma APOs (never tried the 2.8-lenses though) or any other nn-300mm-lens I ever tried.
Sharper than any 135mm+ TC (incl. the Pentax A* 1.8/135 and the Zeiss 2.8/135 each with a Kenko MC7) or 200mm + 1.4TC (Sigma) including the Pentax A* 2.8/200.
The 5.6/300 is that good....
pretty light weighted but nonetheless very good build quality.
but only a 5.6 then....

Smile Paul

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree Tamron SP 300mm f/5.6 superb! CZJ Sonnar 300mm f/4 suberb too and faster.

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul wrote:
...The Tamron SP 5.6/300 or the TamronSP 60-300
both for adaptall-system...

This is as interesting as it is amazing, and I've read that quite often: The 60-300 zoom is almost as good as the 300mm prime!
The 60-300 indeed is a fantastic lens!

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, true, but prime is prime Smile I love more my SP-300 prime than zoom.

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well I went for the SP 60-300mm zoom. will be a little more versatile and easier to frame my photos well without cropping too much.

I will pick it up at the beginning of next month

Tom

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent choice! Congratulations!

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: 300mm or longer - what is your advice? Reply with quote

TDN wrote:
I don't have a large budget, so I'm not looking for the "top" lenses, just an acceptable one.

Not a MF lens, but I really like my Canon 100-300 4.5-5.6 usm tele zoom. I got it for just about 130€ i think, second-hand. A bargain Smile
300/5.6 is somewhat short and slow for bird photography but it's quite versatile otherwise.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got my Tamron SP 60-300mm !

except from a small dust particle behind the rear element, it's in mint condition Smile

I've got it mounted on my Nikon EM now, an adapter for my Pentax DSLR should arrive shortly.

It surprised me how light this one was compared to the size. Also although the zoom is pretty easy to push-pull, it has no zoom creep! (the lens ring doesnt move if you hold it vertically)

can't wait to try this one out.

I got it for 60 euros btw, seemed like a fair price, considering I needed to buy an adapter for it.
In the end I payed about half of what a new AF Tamron 70-300mm costs.

Tom

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TDN wrote:
I got it for 60 euros btw, seemed like a fair price...

It is a fair price, I guess. I was very, very lucky. Thanks to Peter (peterqd) I got mine even cheaper!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 2:48 pm    Post subject: 300 mm what is your advice Reply with quote

Excellent thread regarding 300 mm and above but quite old. i searched around but could not locate comments on Yashica ML 300/5.6. Where you will place this lens among above mentioned lenses and specifically Tamromron 60-300 and 300/5.6. Regards
gill