Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

180mm f/1.4 - homemade focal reducer
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found no time yet - I think I need at last 2-3 hours free time with no kids around. Don´t want to have a break between the disassembly and assembly of the camera Smile
Got the fuse, its very small, in case I cant solder this a friend has offered to help Smile

At the moment I use the camera my wife normally has, so no need to rush.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great job! How big is the change in focal distance?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Original 400mm now 180mm - 220mm difference - or more helpful factor 0.45 for focal length and f-stop.
Easy replaceable adapter, no modification on the Canon FD lens made for this.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice, I actually wanted to mean the focus distance.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, at the moment maximum object distance around 3 meter on EOS 5D. Not much for 180mm :-/
On a Sony Alpah 7 Infinity should be no problem, have ordered material for the mount, probably I get the possibility to get a Alpha 7 for some tests in few months.

I will try to get another combination, probably with less speed but infinity which works up to infinity on my 5D.
Much testing with different lenses needed, try to get some more lenses as possible better focal reducer - but this testing is a bit expensive.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting project.
Would be interesting how its done.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KingRoach wrote:
Ooooh sorry to hear about your camera. Hope you've been able to sort it out by now. Please let us know what the problem has been and how you solved it (fuse? really?) and also take pictures of the repair to help others.

Looking forward to hearing more about this.

Cameras works again! I have disassembled the camera, found out that I could not solder the fuse I have, cause it was much bigger. A friend amazingly soldered that for me - he needs only few minutes. I assembled it, and it works well. And I have only one screw left Smile
I have made pictures, and most likely will make a short not 100% complete DIY writeup.

lensfan1 wrote:
Interesting project.
Would be interesting how its done.

At the moment I want not to write too much - cause I not want to pay too much for some lenses I want.
I have bought about 15 lenses for this focal reducer project by now. And need some more. This 180mm/1.2 was a good find, but it works not that good for my camera. So I need a better combination - and likely some more lenses :-/
So I find other interesting combinations, but those need much more testing and optimizing. A ~180/2 and ~75/1.4 are more or less ready for testing. The later is a effect lens with much aberrations.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to hear you were able to fix your camera. You got a PM

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KingRoach wrote:
Ooooh sorry to hear about your camera. Hope you've been able to sort it out by now. Please let us know what the problem has been and how you solved it (fuse? really?) and also take pictures of the repair to help others.

Looking forward to hearing more about this.

Today I made a repair documentation:
Canon EOS 5D repair

Regarding this lens I make at the moment experiments with other front and back lens assemblies. But yet not as good as the 180mm/1.2 here. Some missing f-stop due to too small back lens diameter and such.

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2021 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2022 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Markus,
I'm sure I speak for many here when I ask what happened to the project Smile Any updates or infos you might like to share with us?
(Personally, I just got as far as using a stock focal reducer on a full frame camera, i.e. Nikon and Canon SLR lenses on a Sony A7r-series body with a 0.7x expansion)
Kind regards

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Like 1 Very impressive results IMHO for a DIY setup with such extreme parameters.

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much!
I changed my camera system for these speedboosting experiments some years ago, I got a Sony A7II because ot the back then quite complete mirrorless system with fukk frame and short flange back distance. And in camera image stabilization.

I used now several years the Kipon 0.7* medum format speedbooster / focal reducer. It has a better image quality, and the system with that 40mm f/2.8 Canon FD lens is now a 280mm/2.0 supertele on fuillframe.

But I have planned to search for my different speedboosters, and do some more portrait work with them. But I have to say, after a relocation my lenses are not as easy to find as before.

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Markus, thank you for the update!
Yes, that medium format reducer is quite intriguing. One could use the GFX version and, providing the lens covers it, on GFX attain something like a 0.55x focal reduction over the native lens on full frame, with an effective 1.5 stops gain in separation...