Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

180mm f/1.4 - homemade focal reducer
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2022 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Markus,
I'm sure I speak for many here when I ask what happened to the project Smile Any updates or infos you might like to share with us?
(Personally, I just got as far as using a stock focal reducer on a full frame camera, i.e. Nikon and Canon SLR lenses on a Sony A7r-series body with a 0.7x expansion)
Kind regards

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Like 1 Very impressive results IMHO for a DIY setup with such extreme parameters.

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much!
I changed my camera system for these speedboosting experiments some years ago, I got a Sony A7II because ot the back then quite complete mirrorless system with fukk frame and short flange back distance. And in camera image stabilization.

I used now several years the Kipon 0.7* medum format speedbooster / focal reducer. It has a better image quality, and the system with that 40mm f/2.8 Canon FD lens is now a 280mm/2.0 supertele on fuillframe.

But I have planned to search for my different speedboosters, and do some more portrait work with them. But I have to say, after a relocation my lenses are not as easy to find as before.

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Markus, thank you for the update!
Yes, that medium format reducer is quite intriguing. One could use the GFX version and, providing the lens covers it, on GFX attain something like a 0.55x focal reduction over the native lens on full frame, with an effective 1.5 stops gain in separation...