Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

135/4 Leitz Elmar on Pentax K10D
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 4:17 am    Post subject: 135/4 Leitz Elmar on Pentax K10D Reply with quote

Yesterday, I mounted an old Leitz Elmar 135mm telephoto on my "ultimate weapon" contraption. The 135/4 Elmar lens is one of the few Leitz lenses that were specially designed to be used with the Visoflex reflex viewer attachment. As the Visoflex was inserted between the camera body and the lens, it was therefore increasing the registration of the camera, so the lenses designed to be used with the Visoflex had to have a shorter optical draw than the normal M mount lenses. In order to be compatible with the Visoflex, these special Elmar lenses had a removable optical unit, which was put on a special helicoid (or bellows) when used with the Visoflex.

I unscrewed the optical unit of my Elmar and put it on my K10d with the help of my universal bellows adapter. The results are quite good, sharp and with surprisingly high contrast and flare resistance for a lens of this age (pictures only resized, no sharpening):

100% crop of preceding picture (wide open at f/4):

Cheers!

Abbazz

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you just heard a muted sound...

... that was my jaw dropping on the floor!!

What detail.... and what bokeh!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm stunned.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Orio, I find the bokeh nice too. Too bad the Elmar 65/3.5 is so expensive, but I will try to get the 90/4.

Cheers!

Abbazz

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Incredible, really incredible. Shocked Especially in light of the lens being configured for the short draw that you mentioned. This is "right up there" with the best I've seen on here.

Another arrow in the quiver!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heavens to Betsy - that is incredible. Makes me want to go out and start over.

patrickh

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marvelous shots, Sébastien! Of course your skill potentiates these shots,
but the equipment is nice, too! Smile

Bill

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HeHe Leitz is Leica Very Happy
One day maybe, I will buy one of those

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What the.........?

It's almost not fair. Shocked Those are just simple delicious. The bokeh is unreal and such clean detail as well. Very nice thankyou for sharing these.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the kind words. This lens surprises me, as it doesn't have a very good reputation among the Leica users. Here are a few more pictures taken against the light this afternoon at Tungku Beach (f/6.3, no sharpening):

Cheers!

Abbazz

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sébastien wrote:
taken against the light

superbe!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! This is the LENS!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Wow! This is the LENS!

Attila, this lens produces nice results, but don't forget that it is single coated, has no automatic or preset diaphragm and no focusing helicoid, so it has to be used on a bellows. As I don't have a lens hood that fits, I use my left hand to protect the lens from the sun. It's usable, even handheld -- I kinda like focusing with a bellows, it reminds me of using a folding camera -- but it's definitely not a lens for everyday use.

Cheers!

Abbazz

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like your photographs

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The hassle of using it has got to be worth it with those results!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simply wonderful "into the sun" shots! Not bad at ALL for one of those "inferior single-coated lenses".... Laughing

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow Shocked Shocked Shocked

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a picture of the 135/4 Elmar mounted on the universal bellows, taken with another Leica M lens, the 90/4 collapsible Elmar:

Cheers!

Abbazz

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's pretty amazing, not just the results, but also the fact that you are able to use this lens at your DSLR! Wow!