Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Canon Soft focus FD 85mm f/2.8
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2023 6:16 pm    Post subject: Canon Soft focus FD 85mm f/2.8 Reply with quote

Sony A7s

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2023 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow, that is definetely soft, never seen this lens before

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2023 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kiddo wrote:
wow, that is definetely soft, never seen this lens before

I bought it exactly today. I had some of that kind already. But was tempted by the 85mm focus.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2023 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sony a7s

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2023 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kiddo wrote:
never seen this lens before

https://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/companies/canon/fdresources/fdlenses/85mmsoft.htm

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2023 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't see much "softness" in the images above (if any at all ...).

The first (b/w) image seems to be unsharp, though - either mis-focused, or as a result of a defective lens. I assume your images were taken with the soft focus ring at its "normal" position. Using the lens correctly (at position "1", "2", or even "3") would result in images as shown at page 134 in the "Canon lens booklet":

http://artaphot.ch/images/PDFs/Die_Welt_der_Canon_Objektive/Die%20Welt%20der%20Canon-Objektive%20120-137%20Special%20Lenses.pdf

I have published a few test images from different soft focus lenses here on mflenses.com (scroll down for flowers):
http://forum.mflenses.com/soft-focus-thambar-mamiya-minolta-and-tamron-zoom-t81778.html

You Canon lens should give similar results!

S

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2023 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2023 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevemark wrote:

Because it was "0" setting. Or no softness at all.

And the BW photo was "1" setting for softness with the diaphragm close to 4.0

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2023 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevemark wrote:
I can't see much "softness" in the images above

There is the same subject with the 'softness"

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2023 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LittleAlex wrote:
stevemark wrote:

Because it was "0" setting. Or no softness at all.

And the BW photo was "1" setting for softness with the diaphragm close to 4.0

Ah OK - that's what I had assumed.
I was surprised that you were using such a special lens without showing US its specific properties! And looking at the missing detail resolution of the firts b/w image I'd assume that the Canon nFD 2.8/85mm "Soft Focus" in its "0" (no softening) position is inferior to the common Canon FD/nFD 1.8/85mm portrait lens ...

That said. I'd be rather interested in samples showing the differences between "0", "1", "2" and "3" position (especially wide open since stopping down tends to eliminate the softening effect rather quickly, at least in those soft lenses I know).

S

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2023 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevemark wrote:

I'd be rather interested in samples showing the differences between "0", "1", "2" and "3" position

There is very nice examples of tests, which I carefully studied, before the final decision on that lens

https://couvcamera.wordpress.com/2019/01/08/soft-focus-is-not-out-of-focus/

Last edited by LittleAlex on Tue Aug 22, 2023 8:40 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2023 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

there is the general plane with the (I believe) "2" setting with the little closed diaphragm

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2023 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2023 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting! I wonder what makes such a lens better choice than any "normal" lens with added diffusion glass of choice (some would mention digital editing, but I'd limit myself to optics), except perhaps added convenience of not dealing with screw-on filters. I'm no fan of the 80's look portraits with much glow, but I could see myself using this for some moody black and whites for example, or maybe some other creative uses. I don't know how pricy this lens would be, so I'd probably stick to optical filters or stockings etc. Still, it's always interesting to see something new (to me).

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2023 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dejan wrote:
Interesting! I wonder what makes such a lens better choice than any "normal" lens with added diffusion glass of choice (some would mention digital editing, but I'd limit myself to optics),

That's an interesting question, too. I must admit I never have really used my "Minoltra Portrayer P" set in parallel witrh an soft focus lens, and therefore I can't really comment on your question. However I have been using my soft lenses - mainly the Mamyia Sekor C 4.5/145m Soft Focus - extensively for shooting coloured glass windows. The Sekor C 145mm SF offers a wild variety of effects from the combination of SF setting (0, 1, 2 and 3) as well as aperture. I assume that the true soft focus lens offers a more precise adjustment of the softening strength and the width of the softening glow. Finding the right combination can be tricky.

Konica Minolta - nearly 20 years after leaving its photo business!! - still has reliable information online on the portrayer filter sets:
https://www.konicaminoltasupport.com/index.php?id=4569&tx_faqmanager_pi1[question]=3536&tx_faqmanager_pi1[product]=66&tx_faqmanager_pi1[producttype]=14&tx_faqmanager_pi1[matchswords]=AND&tx_faqmanager_pi1[category]=25

A zoom SF lens such as the Tamron 2.8/70-150mm SFhas even more possibilities to adjust, including changing the bokeh from "ugly" to "acceptable" ...

Dejan wrote:
except perhaps added convenience of not dealing with screw-on filters.

It certainly is convenient if during a portrait shooting you don't to fiddle around with several filters ...

Dejan wrote:
I'm no fan of the 80's look portraits with much glow,

The "original" SF lens for 35mm film cameras was the Leitz Thambar 2.2/9cm. There are a few historical images (usually portraits in a controlled setting) which are pretty cool (backlight, women with long hair, smoking cigarettes ...). Around 1940 Leitz had made a very nice booklet about their lenses which includes sample taken with the Thambar. Maybe looking at those 1930s images is more inspiring than the 1980s "second wave" of SF?

Dejan wrote:
but I could see myself using this for some moody black and whites for example, or maybe some other creative uses.
Flowers and blossoms are certainly worth trying. If you do portrait, you should have a well controlled environment - ceratinly some backlighht, but also light from the side and some (soft) frontal light. A dark background makes thins much easier. "Glowing" hair can be really nice, and cigarette smoke can be interesting too (backlight!).

Dejan wrote:
I don't know how pricy this lens would be, so I'd probably stick to optical filters or stockings etc. Still, it's always interesting to see something new (to me).

Most SF lenses these days are either collector items, or they are use by professionals for (well paid) special portraits. Production numbers were low, and therefroe prices are high. Examples are the Minolta MD 2.8/85mm SF, the Minolta AF 2.8/100mm SF, the Canon nFD 2.8/85mm SF, the Mamiya Sekor C 4.5/145mm SF, the Pentax K 2.2/85mm SF (which is quite different from the other SF lenses), the Leitz Thambar 2.2/9cm, or the Tamron SP 2.8/70-150mm SF. Be aware that all these lenses are wildly differing in their properties!

I have also two Sigma tele lenses which can be used as SF lenses - a Sigma XQ/YS 2.8/135mm and a Sigma XQ/YS 2.8/200mm. They have an additional focusing ring which influences the distance between front element and main lens, and dramatically increases aberrations. They can be used as a SF lens at closer distances, and they still are pretty cheap (<20 CHF for both my lenses).

S

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2023 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevemark wrote:
If you do portrait, you should have a well controlled environment - ceratinly some backlighht, but also light from the side and some (soft) frontal light.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2023 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dejan wrote:
I don't know how pricy this lens would be,

I bought mine for $250 which is more or less its price on Ebay today.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2023 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2023 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes less is more ... methinks. The image you have uploaded gives a good idea about the potential of soft focus lenses.
Everything looks a bit more ... well: poetic ... Wink

S

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2023 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevemark wrote:
a bit more ... well: poetic ... Wink

Well, evidently that the soft focus lenses are more dedicated to the female images, and to the romantic expressions.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2023 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow I really like how the lens rendered that part of the image too, with the bearded gentleman, one could use the "like a painting" phrase without a second thought. 250 bucks doesn't sound bad, compared to most 85mm lenses. I agree with you Steve about old soft looking portraits from the 40's, that can be cool, actually wonderful (also even older portraits with large format and older mediums, with softer, simpler lenses). That's what I had in mind when I mentioned b&w, that kind of look, just not necessarily for portraits (I imagine moody, darker images of older European architecture, like abandoned castles or mills, factories and so and so, although 85mm might not always be the perfect FL for that). I didn't know about the Minolta portrayer glass specifically, I'll have to take a look at some samples, but P series sounds tempting to try, well probably both if I get a chance; if not I'll go for some alternative. So far I'd only used some dark mist filters in a more subtle way, but that's different. Trying some filters may be a good idea as a first step, and if I get hooked or develop a style, who knows, than buying such a lens may become less of a fad.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2023 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dejan wrote:
compared to most 85mm lenses.

What is even more convenient, at the setting "0" that lens turns in simply very sharp common 85mm lens, which you are able to use by the very common way.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2023 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LittleAlex wrote:
stevemark wrote:

Well, evidently that the soft focus lenses are more dedicated to the female images, and to the romantic expressions.

Laugh 1

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2023 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LittleAlex wrote:
stevemark wrote:

They do act as an optical concealer for small skin imperfections. Maybe a third-party manufacturer could have made one of these lenses and branded them as "Bobbi Brown", "Estée Lauder" or "L'Oréal" etc. to sell at their cosmetics counters. A missed marketing opportunity maybe...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2023 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RokkorDoctor wrote:
LittleAlex wrote:
stevemark wrote:

They do act as an optical concealer for small skin imperfections.

Well, well.. Not only that