Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Zuiko MC Auto-W 1:2 f=35mm
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2024 9:41 am    Post subject: Zuiko MC Auto-W 1:2 f=35mm Reply with quote

All on Sony Alpha Mk2. ARW converted to JPG.

#1 f2

#2 f2

#3 f8

#4 f8

#5 f5.6

#6 f5.6

#7 f5.6

#8 f5.6

#9 f5.6

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2024 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some very nice imagery there.

How old is this lens? Coatings seem to be done well if these are un-manipulated in post.
I have an old 35 f2 here that is similar in detail level, and it seems to like f5.6 as well- an earlier coated nikkor that came out when coated glass was still a buzzword. Just waiting for flower pot plantings to be done outdoors. It has been very wet here for the past couple of weeks.

-D.S.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2024 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

most of the vintage lenses i´ve tested , would get best results all over the image on f8 and f11, but your lens seems to have good details on corners on f5.6 , very nice.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2024 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doc Sharptail wrote:
Some very nice imagery there.

How old is this lens? Coatings seem to be done well if these are un-manipulated in post.
I have an old 35 f2 here that is similar in detail level, and it seems to like f5.6 as well- an earlier coated nikkor that came out when coated glass was still a buzzword. Just waiting for flower pot plantings to be done outdoors. It has been very wet here for the past couple of weeks.

-D.S.

kiddo wrote:
most of the vintage lenses i´ve tested , would get best results all over the image on f8 and f11, but your lens seems to have good details on corners on f5.6 , very nice.

Thanks a lot.
The older Zuikos I know, some of the silver noses and also early black ones have a yellowish coating. Later versions, like this 35mm lens of mine, are marked "MC" and the coating is greenish and violet. I´m not sure if Olympus changed the coating again with their latest version which are multicoated though do not carry the MC label anymore. But on those few late version Zuikos I own the coating looks similar to those which carry the "MC" designation. Age, I can only guess - early 80s, probably, so rather a youngtimer.

Olypedia, a kind of wiki (German only) just for the OM system claims in their description that this lens can reach the best optical performance of the slower 35mm Zuiko already around f2.8 - f4. It also says that the optical performance does not increase that much when stopped down in comparison to the slower version. It seems to be on par with the Nikkor 35mm/f2 and the (radioactive) Canon 35mm/f2.

Speaking of the weather - I was on mountain-bike vacation with my brother last week, and the weather was dreadful. Barely made any photos. Rain and rain again and around 1500m elevation just about 4 degrees. This week we´ll get 30+ - and I´m unfortunately back to work Wink