Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Zuiko 24/2.8 MC vs Canon 17-40L
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 4:25 pm    Post subject: Zuiko 24/2.8 MC vs Canon 17-40L Reply with quote

Hi guys,

I finally got some time to test these 2 lenses. Shot with 5DII, RAW, from tripod with live view focus. Just exported from lightroom, PP whatsoever.

The image:

Crops:

You can judge it by yourselves, but what I see is that Zuiko hits sweet spot @f4 already and doesnt improve much after that. However It is sharper in center @f4 than 17-40L at any aperture Very Happy. It is very very good wide open, almost excellent. Canon just whiskers it in the corners, mainly in the top right. Top left corner they seem to be equall.

I know its not fair to compare a wide with a zoom, but this thing is so tiny! Its probably 3-4 times smaller and lighter than canon zoom.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never owned a zoom in 30 years as a pro but sometimes I do rent the Canon 17-40 L.
Your test illustrates the superiority of prime lenses over zooms.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Time to compare the distortion? for me at least is one of the most important parameters, even if not doing architecture I have found problems with horizons and certain lenses...

The Zuiko 24 + PTLens is a killer combo.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rafa1981 wrote:
Time to compare the distortion? for me at least is one of the most important parameters, even if not doing architecture I have found problems with horizons and certain lenses...

The Zuiko 24 + PTLens is a killer combo.

Forgot to mention that, thanks for pointing it out.

Zuiko exibits quite a bit more distortion than canon. It also vignetes more, but not much.

If this Zuiko had autofocus, 17-40L would have been long gone. Since I went full frame I rarely use 17mm setting, its to wide and has a lot of distortion fir things I shoot. Since I shoot weddings AF is a must. I do shoot a lot of stuff 2ith manual lenses at weddings, but only when I can afford to miss some shots Smile.

From my last wedding, Yashica ML 50 1.4. I slightly missed the focus (and as always, on the photo I like the most, the rest from series are spot on but not quite like this one).

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are some PP shots with the zuiko. Last two are HDRs

[/code]

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 11:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Zuiko 24/2.8 MC vs Canon 17-40L Reply with quote

NothingMan wrote:

I know its not fair to compare a wide with a zoom, but this thing is so tiny! Its probably 3-4 times smaller and lighter than canon zoom.

I can't see any diff between Canon and Zuiko but you can't zoom with Zuiko Smile

I can see a word PIVO (beer) on the parasol Smile

I would sell Zuiko and keep Canon 17-40 L

However, I am impressed by your pictures taken with Yashica -

I have tried this lens but I don't like it. I think Yahica 50 f1.4 is a strange lens. Nice colours though

tf

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 17-40 has it's flaws but it's still an excellent lens, although it is NEVER sharp in the corners at 17mm, NEVER. It is sharpest at F11, not F8, so in this case it may have been worthwhile comparing them at F11 as well (although it probably still wouldn't be sharper than the Zuiko).

JJ

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this Canon zoom is a very very nice lens! - because imo the Zuiko MC 24mm is hard to beat Wink

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kuuan wrote:
this Canon zoom is a very very nice lens! - because imo the Zuiko MC 24mm is hard to beat Wink

I & my friend compared my Tokina RMC 35-70/4 to canon 17-40L
My Tokina is not lost in term of sharpness. my friend who only play with AF lenses, shocked Very Happy

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IAZA wrote:
kuuan wrote:

I & my friend compared my Tokina RMC 35-70/4 to canon 17-40L
My Tokina is not lost in term of sharpness. my friend who only play with AF lenses, shocked Very Happy

I lent Tokina AT-X 3.5/17mm to a friend who shoots weddings with Canon gear and uses the 17-40L.

She was upset that the Tokina was quite a lot better than the Canon at 17mm setting.

I don't know exactly how it was better but she kept the Tokina for 3 months before finally buying it from me so she must have rated it highly.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 7:22 am    Post subject: Re: Zuiko 24/2.8 MC vs Canon 17-40L Reply with quote

trifox wrote:
NothingMan wrote:

I can't see any diff between Canon and Zuiko but you can't zoom with Zuiko Smile

tf

You can zoom with the Zuiko, but it's rather a drawn out affair and sometimes difficult, you walk forwards or backwards until you reach the desired distance Laughing

Love the Golf by the way, always wanted one.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I call this Zuiko poor men's Distagon. It's the only 24mm along 25mm ZF Distagon I decided to keep. Due to it's optical quality and tiny size.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why oh why did I click on this thread?

I've wanted the 24mm Zuiko for over a year now. It's the only lens I've never come around buying. I was going to buy one but the seller sold it someone else who came by to pick up another lens he was selling. NOOO!

I really want the 24mm Zuiko. I might even dish out the extra cash for the 24mm f/2 version. How do those two compare optically?

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jjphoto wrote:
The 17-40 has it's flaws but it's still an excellent lens, although it is NEVER sharp in the corners at 17mm, NEVER. It is sharpest at F11, not F8, so in this case it may have been worthwhile comparing them at F11 as well (although it probably still wouldn't be sharper than the Zuiko).

JJ

This was tested with 17-40 @ 24mm, at 17mm it would have been a no contest really Wink. 17-40 starts to shine @5.6 and @20mm and up. I never liked 17-40 on a crop, on a full frame it almost becomes a different lens. Fantastic IQ for the money considering its a zoom and can go to 17mm...Very fast autofocus as well.

Zuiko just blows me away wide open. It has nice bokeh as well. At f4 and up quality is unbelievable considering the size of this lens, and the fact it cost me $100 together with 55 1.2. However, It looks so funny on 5D Smile

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 3:09 am    Post subject: Re: Zuiko 24/2.8 MC vs Canon 17-40L Reply with quote

trifox wrote:
NothingMan wrote:

I can see a word PIVO (beer) on the parasol Smile

I would sell Zuiko and keep Canon 17-40 L

However, I am impressed by your pictures taken with Yashica -

I have tried this lens but I don't like it. I think Yahica 50 f1.4 is a strange lens. Nice colours though

tf

Yashica 50 1.4 ML is fantastic, I love this lens and i shoot it only wide open. Im considering selling all my other fifties because of it. Here is one more...

If C/Y Planar 50 1.4 is noticeably better than this lens, Im would probably trade my Zuiko 55 1.2 for it...Smile