Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

zorki 4 or 6? (off the fed kick)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 2:23 pm    Post subject: zorki 4 or 6? (off the fed kick) Reply with quote

users recommend fedka, yuri, alex-photo, oleg others. i wouldn't mind paying a little extra for an in-country, well-examined example.

i now like the idea of a zorki 4 or 6 with jupiter 8 lens. fedka has a couple of nice examples. any of you guys shoot the same?

Last edited by fish4570 on Sun Jan 31, 2010 3:26 pm; edited 3 times in total

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had great experiences with Oleg, and I guess he could also do a CLA if you ask him. As for lenses, I love th sharpness of the I-61, and it's also pretty cheap.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course your mileage will vary, and I bought the less cool Fed 3 / Industar 61 ... and the Jupiter 12 ... and have a vented hood to go with the Industar...

I find I don't actually end up using this equipment. Reasons? The viewfinder, the fear of burning a hole in the shutter, the pain of remembering just when I can and cannot change shutter speed, and the far easier use of fixed lens cameras, whether true RF or guess-focusing folders.

I.e. I'd much rather carry a Retina.

I'll be selling the Fed and the Jup, as the experience did not live up to the dream.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

did you find the fed 3 to operate properly?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I bought it from a Russian camera repair guy who was a regular at the camera show, till he passed. He showed me how to use it & guaranteed it for 6 months. The ideal way to buy one.

The fed viewfinder is small and squinty, but the rf patch is clearer than on the Zorkis he also had, but the Zorkis had a luxurious viewfinder.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

although i have never handled one, i just like the industrial look of the fed 2 ...

as for burning a hole in the shutter cloth, that was never an issue with a leica m3 i had many years ago. second nature to be aware.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should add: the 'light seals' are notional on my camera, though I suppose I could improve on them; the way I keep it light tight is by having it in its leather bottom case. This is necessary anyhow as the camera itself lacks lugs.

My brother in law has one of the more antique Leica style Feds, I'm not sure if it is the model you're interested in. This is smaller, cuter, and all around more cool, with the classic Leica curves. If I had it to do over, I'd probably want one of these rather than the one I got (and I'd still not use it that often). My b-i-l doesn't use his much either.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks. maybe i should hold for a canon p or 7, or a bessa r. i really want to try those normal russian rangefinder lenses. and if the fed viewfinder is that squinty, i probably should sty away. we'll see ...

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fed/Zorki viewfinders are all awkward, especially if you wear specs. Bessa v/f is about as good as they come, better than the old Canons certainly. Plus you get a meter that works well, and speeds that will be pretty accurate too. And a Bessa R will cost you less than a Canon P. If it fits your budget, get a Bessa R and enjoy using rangefinder lenses ... Very Happy (Confession: I have a Bessa R)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: fed 2 (b) bug has hit hard; where do i buy? Reply with quote

fish4570 wrote:

now then, which lens to start? industar 26, industar 61, jupiter 8? i want contrast and character, and ability to fit a vented hood ...

Jupiter-8 the most versatile and best option for many subjects.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We I have one of the later FED2s. The viewfinder is small and dark but perfectly usable. It's really only for focusing though and it is great for that. To compose shots I have the universal viewfinder which you need of course if using any other focal length than 50mm.

It came with an Industar-26M which are prone to flare and it does unless the sun is at you back, even with the hood on. Nice looking shots when the flare isn't present. I also have a Jupiter 8 which doesn't seem to be prone to flare and it's faster and also very good. The J-11 I have is not bad and can be found for peanuts. I recently bought a J-12 which is the focal length I reall enjoy, but I've not tried it out yet.

I tend to keep my shutter speed the same on the FED2 for fear of damaging it by forgetting to wind on 1st. I see that Zenit SLRs have the same system but there's no warning about them so I wonder how true this is.

I would just get one and try it as you can always sell at a similar price. They're good fun cameras, but I wouldn't use one as 1st choice, but this is only as I prefer SLRs.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

martinsmith99 wrote:
I tend to keep my shutter speed the same on the FED2 for fear of damaging it by forgetting to wind on 1st. I see that Zenit SLRs have the same system but there's no warning about them so I wonder how true this is.

I would just get one and try it as you can always sell at a similar price. They're good fun cameras, but I wouldn't use one as 1st choice, but this is only as I prefer SLRs.

Martin, I can't speak about FED, but on the Zorki 4 you can't lift up the knob to change the shutter speed without first winding on. But even if you could, the setting would be wrong. The knob turns less than a full revolution when you wind while the ring with the speed settings remains static, so the pointer ends up at a different speed after winding. The Zenit 3M has a completely different mechanism (and fewer speeds - nothing between B and 1/30). It is possible to change the speed at any time. The speeds are engraved on the knob and lock against the dot on the shaft, and they all revolve together.

I agree with Stephen about the V/F, difficult when wearing glasses. And it is actually too large for my taste. It shows much more than the picture area and would be much better with framelines I think. Like you, after focussing I use a multi V/F in the flash bracket for framing. (Thankyou Carsten!) Smile

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:
The Zenit 3M has a completely different mechanism (and fewer speeds - nothing between B and 1/30). It is possible to change the speed at any time. The speeds are engraved on the knob and lock against the dot on the shaft, and they all revolve together.
At Zenit-3m management very much like Zorki-5 and Zorki-6.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Zorki 4 with the Industar 61

It works perfectly well, and is easier to use than the Leica III's I have tried - nicer viewfinder/rangefinder and MUCH better film loading.

But as a walkaround, Barnack and Bresson type camera, I like the Retina folders even better, they go in a pocket, are nearly silent, and are less fussy with the shutter. They sell for about the same too.

I even like the Argus C4/C44's better - the viewfinder/rangefinder is bigger and brighter and there is no problem with the shutter either. And you can get a replacement (in the US) for $20 shipped.