Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Zoom based macro?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2024 8:03 am    Post subject: Zoom based macro? Reply with quote

I normally don't pay much attention to macro features on zoom lenses- just based on image quality.
It seems there's a few of these systems around from the late film era that actually work.
Quick example here:

Nikkor 28-85mm f 3.5-4.5 at f5.6 and about the 30-35mm position on the zoom with the macro lug engaged.

Crop of center here.
I find this a bit more usable than usual for a zoom in the macro position.
The lens it's self has mixed reviews on line. The only fault I can find with my copy is that it goes a bit soft above 70mm and below f8 for normal scenics. Other than that, it seems to be a capable lens.

Just wondering what other zooms are around with a decent macro range. I'll have to dig the lens out again to determine a rough estimate of the reproduction ratio. This frame was shot with-out a hood. I don't know if a hood would eliminate the aperture artifacts shown, but I should make an effort with it, and find a proper hood.

-D.S.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2024 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had some nice - indeed some of the best from a zoom - results from a tamron AF 70-300mm LD Di this goes to 1:2. Could be particularly appropriate for butterflies etc as the max repro is at 300mm.

I haven't been impressed with the adaptall 52A 70-210mm close up, this also does 1:2. The SP 35-80mm 01A however is just about as good as the 52B/BB 90mm macro up to it's 1:2.5 limit. There was a guy posting great pics of bugs etc on pentax forums using this lens, often with a close focus filter, I'll see if I can post a link.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2024 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: Zoom based macro? Reply with quote

Doc Sharptail wrote:

Just wondering what other zooms are around with a decent macro range. I'll have to dig the lens out again to determine a rough estimate of the reproduction ratio. This frame was shot with-out a hood. I don't know if a hood would eliminate the aperture artefacts shown, but I should make an effort with it, and find a proper hood.

-D.S.

The Minolta MDIII 35-70/3.5, MDIII 35-105/3.5-4.5 and MDIII 35-135/3.5-4.5 all have a dedicated macro setting that allows for up to 1:4
The Minolta MDIII 70-210/4 has close focusing (not a dedicated macro mode switch) that goes up to 1:4 (at 210mm)

The Minolta MC/MD Rokkor 40-80/2.8 also has a dedicated macro/close focus mode knob, that allows for a maximum magnification 1:6

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2024 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of the very best vintage macro lenses are "zoom based" - e. g. the Minolta AF 4/200mm APO Macro and the Pentax A* 4/200mm ED Macro. These lenses basically are tele zoom constructions without variator group. Their effective focal length is variable.

S

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2024 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SMC PENTAX-A ZOOM 1:3.5 35~105mm with 0.25x "macro"

Some nice examples at https://www.pentaxforums.com/lensreviews/SMC-Pentax-A-35-105mm-F3.5-Zoom-Lens.html

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2024 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Minolta MD -III 100-300 also allows close focusing to give up to 1:3.9 macro magnification however it's pretty difficult to get good results as it really needs a tripod to use for macro work.

As mentioned the 35-70 MD-III gives excellent results.

Also tried a Tokina SD 70-210 f4-5.6 and that also works well stopped down a little though only does 1:5.1 so not particularly great as a micro.

Just tried my latest purchase (Sigma 28-70 f/3.5-4.5) and results are good on that stopped down but it only gives 1:6.7 so not overly 'macro'.

Of the ones listed to 100-300 is the least sharp for macro.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2024 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 for the Minolta MD 35-70 macro, pretty sharp and I like the bokeh

Jpeg from my NEX-5:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2024 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok the u-n is Doundounba. See eg:

post #2648

post 2483

post 2465

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2024 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

marcusBMG wrote:
Ok the u-n is Doundounba. See eg:

Interesting, especially with the teleconverter use.

-D.S.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2024 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mouks wrote:

Jpeg from my NEX-5:

Nice picture!

Regards, C

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2024 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was one of two lenses I had for macro in my early film SLR days.

http://www.adaptall-2.com/lenses/52A.html

The other was the 90mm prime.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2024 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

connloyalist wrote:
mouks wrote:

Jpeg from my NEX-5:

Nice picture!

Regards, C

Thanks! That's encouraging as I'm a complete noob regarding macro photography and I just received a nice MC Rokkor 100/3.5 macro with its extension tube in the mailbox. I can't wait to experiment with 1:1 magnification, should be fun and challenging at the same time

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2024 9:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Zoom based macro? Reply with quote

Doc Sharptail wrote:
I'll have to dig the lens out again to determine a rough estimate of the reproduction ratio.

No reproduction markings on the lens- I had to look it up. About 1:3.6 roughly.

-D.S.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2024 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been able to get pretty good results with my Tefnon 70-162mm 3.5. This is (what I call) a two-ring zoom that has a third ring for engaging macro. This allows you to turn the macro feature on at any focal length, and also have any amount since the ring engages macro progressively. It isn't marked with a reproduction ratio so I don't know.

Regards, Christine

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2024 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

connloyalist wrote:
I have been able to get pretty good results with my Tefnon 70-162mm 3.5. This is (what I call) a two-ring zoom that has a third ring for engaging macro. This allows you to turn the macro feature on at any focal length, and also have any amount since the ring engages macro progressively. It isn't marked with a reproduction ratio so I don't know.

Regards, Christine

When I get a "new" lens I get out a tape measure and note the width of the FOV at closest focus. If the lens requires an extension I do this for a range of extensions.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2024 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

connloyalist wrote:

Regards, Christine

With a twin ring zoom with the macro lug in the zoom ring:

From an older Tamron adaptall QZM210 85-210mm f4.5:

At f8 here and 1:3

Crop of image above. High ISO. The spider was running here and I got lucky with my bobbing in and out for focus~almost.
Bit of glow and blur here, but the spider's eyes show.

As above, except wide open at f4.5.

Similar frame at f8.

Another one here at f8. This is a bit over a 100% crop.

Bit of a surprise out of a lens this old...

-D.S.