Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Zeiss ZF 18mm 3.5 Lens for Canon distorts ???
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:50 am    Post subject: Zeiss ZF 18mm 3.5 Lens for Canon distorts ??? Reply with quote

Does it ?

Last edited by Yahvel on Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:37 am; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://forum.mflenses.com/viewtopic.php?t=53842&view=previous

Flektogon 20mm f4 , may sharp enough to video at wide open.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
http://forum.mflenses.com/viewtopic.php?t=53842&view=previous

Flektogon 20mm f4 , may sharp enough to video at wide open.

Thanks Attila, i appreciate it. Smile

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:22 pm    Post subject: Distorts? Reply with quote

I don't know of any SWA glass without any barrel distortion, except the famous BIOGON glasses!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Distorts? Reply with quote

OPAL wrote:
I don't know of any SWA glass without any barrel distortion, except the famous BIOGON glasses!

My 18mm f3.5 SMC Pentax lens has very little visible distortion, either does the 20mm F4.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Distorts? Reply with quote

hifisapi wrote:
OPAL wrote:

My 18mm f3.5 SMC Pentax lens has very little visible distortion, either does the 20mm F4.

1 - 2 % distortion are not bad for such SWA glasses and can be corrected very easily with PS today!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Distortion is very low (it's hard to see/find it on APS-C) but in "wave-form" so hard to correct by hand
So it's no problem until you wan't to make very demanding architecture shots on FF-sensors
Maybe there's an PTlens profile to correct that.

The only better lens I know in that league is the Canon 17mm TSE
It's perfect for architecture even on FF but more expensive.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ForenSeil wrote:
The only better lens I know in that league is the Canon 17mm TSE
It's perfect for architecture even on FF but more expensive.

Canon 17mm tilt-shift shows about 1-1.2% of barrel distortion, plenty enough for the eye to spot it in architecture and walls. When you shift the lens, you'll notice barrel distortion changes (and increases). Camera RAW 7 and all RAW converters I have used have a correction profile for it, simple to get rid of in still photography but not so simple for video.

Every single super-wide angle lens for still photography shows geometric distortion in barrel form, including the CZJ 4/20 Flektogon. What some see as a show-stopper others don't/won't notice, it is very difficult to say which is good enough for you. Both those lenses are good, but how good... you decide.

I don't mind if the geometric distortion is simple "round" barrel, it's the "moustache" or waved barrel distortion that's annoying.