Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Zeiss - Price guide
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:01 pm    Post subject: Zeiss - Price guide Reply with quote

Interesting? Yes.
Accurate? Let me know what you think.

http://collectiblend.com/Lenses/Zeiss,-Carl/

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They seem to have some recent price inputs(2010) in all the database.

If their prices are recent and correct then I never overpaid for any of my lenses, even my recent Elmarit 90 v2 mint Shocked

For example my Distagon 2.8/28 MM mint have nearly doubled in price since 2009 !!!

Their prices also state:

Quote:
Camera sales and other sources with converted and inflation-adjusted prices

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keysersoze27 wrote:

Their prices also state:
Quote:
Camera sales and other sources with converted and inflation-adjusted prices

Easy to recalculate this conversion. Here is the MM Distagon sale:

http://www.auction2000.se/auk/w.Object?inC=LP&inA=06-04-22&inO=184

1400 Swedish Kronas + 50 Kronas (fixed charge) + 21.9% buyer's premium (including taxes) = 1768 (that's what buyer have paid not including shipping).

On the date of auction the SEK to USD exchange rate was 7.55 which makes the price to be $235 in 2004 dollars. Inflation was about 15-20% since then.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keysersoze27, Himself,

Another quick note. I represent the CollectiBlend project and I'll be glad to answer any questions and address any pricing concerns.

The AI which calculates the estimates is not perfect, I still work on the changes and adjustments. In most cases it's accurate though. I'd check the description of the estimate methods here http://collectiblend.com/Cameras/Collectiblend.php

Let me know if even the three-star price accuracy still seems high. I am also checking eBay sales from time to time and I do correct estimates if needed.

Eugene.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I originally purchased my Distagon 28/2.8, back in mid 2009, I paid £99.00. That was a good price at the time, but the same dealers are now charging £199.99 as a minimum Shocked

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManualFocus-G wrote:
the same dealers are now charging £199.99 as a minimum Shocked

Inflation Crying or Very sad
Also for some collectible/classic lenses there is another factor coming into play. People use lenses, scratch them, they get fungus, discoloration, mechanical parts are getting stiff. So it's harder to find "mint" lenses with time if they are not being manufactured anymore.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

diser wrote:
I am also checking eBay sales from time to time and I do correct estimates if needed.

Eugene.

Use only the "Completed listings" as they truly represent the actual prices in ebay.

You also distinguish the AE and MM versions of C/Y which is very good since some models of C/Y have improved performance from AE--> MM so the prices are also different in the same model... (Distagon 2.8/28 is one example).

Also and especially in the Contax lens price range there is a "Made in Japan" vs "Made in Germany" price difference much more intense than the Leica R Germany vs Canada lenses .

Also inflation IMHO plays a small part in the recent price war.
In reality two single threads in Fredmiranda and our mflenses.com site are highly responsible for the rising prices Wink Wink Wink

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keysersoze27 wrote:
Also and especially in the Contax lens price range there is a "Made in Japan" vs "Made in Germany" price difference much more intense than the Leica R Germany vs Canada lenses .

Thanks, I'll watch for those.

Agree with the inflation comment, it's not a major concern. I'd be more worried about a lot of manual/film camera users loosing interest and moving to digital. I expect more "older" lenses and cameras to be auctioned in the next decade.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

diser wrote:
Keysersoze27, Himself,

Another quick note. I represent the CollectiBlend project Eugene.

First of all welcome aboard!
Second, what do you mean by that? You are the spokesman, admin, mod, it`s your site?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Himself wrote:
First of all welcome aboard!

Thanks! I do read some posts here from time to time since 2009 Smile

Himself wrote:

You are the spokesman, admin, mod, it`s your site?

The later one. I do most (but not all) of the work updating it, introducing new features, etc.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManualFocus-G wrote:
When I originally purchased my Distagon 28/2.8, back in mid 2009, I paid £99.00. That was a good price at the time, but the same dealers are now charging £199.99 as a minimum Shocked

I'd say it's easily worth 200 quid, especially if you consider the modern alternatives. We all know that many/most MF lenses just have been very much undervalued, and that situation has been "correcting" itself.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All the prices look low to me. I can't recall seeing a good condition Distagon 28/2.8 MM lens(no marks on lens elements, fungus, separation, haze) going for under $200. $250-300 seems to be the going rate.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're right.
I've seen Planar 50mm 1/4 going for $350, AE version.
On that list is $280 a mint one.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So,
Keysersoze27 suggests the Distagon 28/2.8 MM is overvalued, at the same time ersatz suggests it is undervalued. What about a middle ground?