Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Zeiss 2/100 Makro Planar bokeh
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 12:52 pm    Post subject: Zeiss 2/100 Makro Planar bokeh Reply with quote

It is well known that this lens has amazing bokeh.

I have posted quite a few photos in our forum's galleries.
I wanted to share with you my conclusion:
To really appreciate its bokeh, you have to see a large print.
I received one yesterday (50x75 cm) and I cannot take my eyes away from it.
The oof areas are like they were drawn by a painter.
Simply amazing.

This is the photo I am talking about.

f2

See more in my "best of lenses" post.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like that shot but it would be a lot better without the foreground dark oof area.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
I like that shot but it would be a lot better without the foreground dark oof area.

+1

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:

You are probably right, but it was an ideal background for the wall calendar I made with it.
Anyway, the interesting part concerning the bokeh is in the upper part, in the trees.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly I not see anything special in bokeh, just look like what you can take with any tele lens.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Honestly I not see anything special in bokeh, just look like what you can take with any tele lens.

+1, sorry to say

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not certain what you mean about the bokeh, but the lens has the typical Zeiss rendering with wonderful pop, some of those branches reach out alright Smile

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

great resolution of the rock on the right and very nice bokeh
I agree that the foreground don't bring anything to the pic
if you like it, keep it
and if you get bored, a simple scissor will make it a nice 50x60

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:

You did not read carefully.
I also do not see anything "extra special" when I look at my screen.
The printed photo is another story. But I cannot show this to you...
It was my mistake to include the photo. You rushed to comment on the image.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to agree with Attila, I just don't see anything in this image that couldn't have been achieved with any good 135mm lens.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
I have to agree with Attila, I just don't see anything in this image that couldn't have been achieved with any good 135mm lens.

I am not going to say it again. It's directly above your post...

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:

Ian, you've already given Attila's comment a +1, so why write the same thing again? The OP obviously likes the image when printed out large, which is something you haven't seen!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah i know what you mean--certain things just dont translate digitally. i'm sure the oof areas are great in person, its frustrating trying to have people see on the sreen what you experience in person.

as for the image, what great light you had! i actually like the oof foreground but think what youre trying to achieve might be more striking if that oof area were cropped in half, then it would not compete as much for attention, but the effect of oof foreground would remain.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooh, you Zeiss owners are touchy!

Last edited by iangreenhalgh1 on Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:24 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Calm down please, Nikos had right with his comment , it was better to not send picture just talk about it , if picture can't show genuine message from print. I have no experience with printed material just with lenses.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont know about you, but on my Dell u2410f, the larger image's colors look just great, the rock near the waterfall their overall color and sharpness just make me want to take a byte out of those. and the way the further trees go out of focus in just a very pleasing way.. so i get what nkanellopoulos is trying to say. Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's for sure quite difficult to judge on the screen but above that, this image shows also an incredible 3D effect and has beautifull natural colours, at least on my screen Very Happy ...

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The colours are very nice, but I can't see what you are trying to convey about the Bokeh/OOF area's.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NewStuff wrote:
The colours are very nice, but I can't see what you are trying to convey about the Bokeh/OOF area's.
Indeed the colours are nice, but as the OP says, one needs to see the large print (which we can't) to appreciate the bokeh.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree it is many times impossible to enjoy photo in reduced size (both dimensions and Kb). My favorite - no Zeiss - 3.5/135mm (click on it for few extra pixels):

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not just try to bug shot or Portrait shot with your 100MP? That's where it shines right?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

imperian wrote:
Why not just try to bug shot or Portrait shot with your 100MP? That's where it shines right?

Of course I have!

Take a look here: http://forum.mflenses.com/salamander-zeiss-2-100-makro-planar-t36857,highlight,%2Bsalamander.html
And here: http://forum.mflenses.com/spring-is-here-zeiss-2-100-makro-planar-ze-t37214,highlight,%2Bmakro.html

This is probably the best all-around lens longer than 35mm.