Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Your favorite Sonnar/Ernostar-type lenses
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2023 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Favorite Sonnar-

sonnar_1607_4 by fiftyonepointsix, on Flickr

1934 CZJ 5cm F1.5, converted to Leica mount.

Wide-Open on the M9.
Warm November day by fiftyonepointsix, on Flickr

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2023 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fiftyonepointsix wrote:
This is a double-Gauss design, not a Sonnar.

I know it's not Sonnar.
My phrase was only that the cheap Jupiter for me was no worse than the expensive Canon.
Therefore, without any regrets, I sold my Canon to a guy from Norway.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2023 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quality on Jupiters can be all over the place. 20 years of cherry picking Jupiter-3's, Jupiter-8s, Jupiter-12's, Jupiter-9's, and Jupiter-11's- I've got several that match their German counterparts. But I've seen a lot of them that are useful only for parts.
The Canon 50/0.95 had such a bad reputation that I bought two of them over 20 years ago. Found they were very good if you knew how to focus them. Prices went up 15x what I paid for mine. On film- the thickness of the emulsion of color film is about the same as the DOF of the formed image.

The 7artisans 50/1.1 is a Sonnar design, close to the V2 Zunow 5cm F1.1. Also much better than the reputation, once it is properly calibrated.

Wide-open at F1.1 on the M9.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2023 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RIMG0125 by fiftyonepointsix, on Flickr

I have a lot of Sonnar formula lenses.
Prototype Bertele Sonnar with my 1934 5cm F2 Sonnar that I converted to Leica mount, and older 1933 5cm F2 Sonnar. Skyllaney based the Bertele on the 1934 formulation of the Sonnar.

Bertele Sonnar, taken after sunset.

L1026968 by fiftyonepointsix, on Flickr

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2023 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Jupiter-8 that I modified for 0.65m RF coupled close-focus.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2023 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jupiter-3. Not the most typical example due to poor lighting:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2023 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jupiter-8 f/2.0

f//5.6

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2023 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fiftyonepointsix wrote:
Favorite Sonnar-

1934 CZJ 5cm F1.5, converted to Leica mount.

Wide-Open on the M9.
Warm November day by fiftyonepointsix, on Flickr

Very nice - great shot and indeed a wonderful lens!

D. P. wrote:
Jupiter-3. Not the most typical example due to poor lighting:

Spectacular as always! fantastic capture and beautiful smooth rendering.

Here are a couple more with my S-Sonnar 62 mm f/2.5:

And U2, Simply Red? by simple.joy, on Flickr

Happy birch-day by simple.joy, on Flickr

Top brass by simple.joy, on Flickr

Order - hook cares? by simple.joy, on Flickr

A-beer out of nowhere... by simple.joy, on Flickr

Some are pretty sharp, but don't fit in... by simple.joy, on Flickr

I was really suprised how much fun this lens is...

The saw that broke the straw's back by simple.joy, on Flickr

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2023 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

L1000047 by fiftyonepointsix, on Flickr

A 1950 KMZ Jupiter-3, wide-open on the M Monochrom.

This lens has Zeiss SN showing it was made in 1945, was probably Assembly Practice after the war. The barrel was held into the Contax mount using Sewing Thread and could not be focused. The focal length was too short, required moving the rear triplet out about 1mm for use on a Leica. Converted to Leica Mount, glass is perfect- as it was unusable.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2023 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was made with the Takumar 58mm 1:2 on a tube (one of the three early Takumars A double Gauss (55/2.2). A Heliar (2.4) and a Sonnar (2.0)

Twist Tie wirekeh by The lens profile, on Flickr

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2023 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CZ 85/2.8 QBM is a really nice Sonnar IMHO.

Cheers.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2023 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uncoated 1936 Carl Zeiss Jena 5cm F1.5, converted to Leica mount and optimized for use with an Orange Filter/ wide-open.

And from the same batch of lenses, about 80 units away-

1936 Coated Sonnar 5cm F1.5, wide-open by fiftyonepointsix, on Flickr

A very early Coated 5cm F1.5 Sonnar, wide-open on the M9.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2023 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fiftyonepointsix wrote:

Uncoated 1936 Carl Zeiss Jena 5cm F1.5, converted to Leica mount and optimized for use with an Orange Filter/ wide-open.

Nice ones!! Great to hear from you again here Brian and to see your daughter!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2023 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: Canon FD 135mm 2.5 is my favorite Reply with quote

Ernst Dinkla wrote:
Instead of that choice I could select an original Ernostar 12,5cm 1.8 (with a custom made Mamiya 645 adapter) or the obscure CZ Sonnar 6cm 1.5 LTM. The last is one of the 5.8-6cm Sonnars LTMs, that had decades of myths accompany them, till Marco Cavina unravelled the history of the glass itself but little about their encapsulation. In practice the lens is quite soft and flares easily.

The Canon FD 135mm 2.5 that I bought in the early 70's with my first salary, has been used a long time with an an FTb QL and an AE1. Then nearly two decades archived till I had it converted to EF mount for a 5DII and the MC-11 smart adapter afterwards. Sold the other FL and FD lenses but kept that one. It is nearly the heaviest vintage 135mm that exists so for trips not appropriate.
The lens cross cut diagram on MIR is hard to interpret but a more abstract one shows the Ernostar origin:
Kind of Enhanced Ernostar I would say.
Searching for the IQ of the Voigtlaender Color Heliar 75mm 1.8 (by the way a hybrid of Dynar and Hektor, so a full-blooded descendant of the Triplet) I came across a test of the Canon FD 135mm 2.5 on Sony FF. Not bad at all on FF: https://opticallimits.com/sonyalphaff/1161-canon135f25

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2023 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D1N0 wrote:
This was made with the Takumar 58mm 1:2 on a tube (one of the three early Takumars A double Gauss (55/2.2). A Heliar (2.4) and a Sonnar (2.0)

Twist Tie wirekeh by The lens profile, on Flickr

fiftyonepointsix wrote:

Great shots - thank you both for the samples! Very nice rendering.

Ernst Dinkla wrote:
Ernst Dinkla wrote:
Instead of that choice I could select an original Ernostar 12,5cm 1.8 (with a custom made Mamiya 645 adapter) or the obscure CZ Sonnar 6cm 1.5 LTM. The last is one of the 5.8-6cm Sonnars LTMs, that had decades of myths accompany them, till Marco Cavina unravelled the history of the glass itself but little about their encapsulation. In practice the lens is quite soft and flares easily.

The Canon FD 135mm 2.5 that I bought in the early 70's with my first salary, has been used a long time with an an FTb QL and an AE1. Then nearly two decades archived till I had it converted to EF mount for a 5DII and the MC-11 smart adapter afterwards. Sold the other FL and FD lenses but kept that one. It is nearly the heaviest vintage 135mm that exists so for trips not appropriate.
The lens cross cut diagram on MIR is hard to interpret but a more abstract one shows the Ernostar origin:
Kind of Enhanced Ernostar I would say.
Searching for the IQ of the Voigtlaender Color Heliar 75mm 1.8 (by the way a hybrid of Dynar and Hektor, so a full-blooded descendant of the Triplet) I came across a test of the Canon FD 135mm 2.5 on Sony FF. Not bad at all on FF: https://opticallimits.com/sonyalphaff/1161-canon135f25

Many thanks - didn't know about that lens! Looks pretty impressive apart from the LoCAs.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2023 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does the Minolta MD Tele Rokkor 100mm 2.5 count? That's probably my favorite.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2023 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blotafton wrote:

I think it doesn't count as a Sonnar, but one of my favourites too!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2023 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blotafton wrote:

First one, Ernostar.

Last two, Xenotar.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2023 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yep Like 1 Like 1

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2023 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are so many ways to make a tele Smile

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2023 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blotafton wrote:

You can find a short tele made from a meniscus, doublet, two element telephoto, rapid rectilinear/petzval, triplet, double gauss, ernostar/sonnar etc. Laugh 1

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2023 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

calvin83 wrote:
blotafton wrote:

You can find a short tele made from a meniscus, doublet, two element telephoto, rapid rectilinear/petzval, triplet, double gauss, ernostar/sonnar etc. Laugh 1

Indeed - I've heard it's so versatile there are even tele designs made entirely out of wood and metal... some labeled Fender or Gibson. 😉

Not a star on my guitar... by simple.joy, on Flickr

Or am I mixing something up again?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2023 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice guitar! Like 1 small

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2023 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

simple.joy wrote:
calvin83 wrote:
blotafton wrote:

Indeed - I've heard it's so versatile there are even tele designs made entirely out of wood and metal... some labeled Fender or Gibson. 😉

Or am I mixing something up again?

Good one Very Happy