Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Yashinon DX 135/2.8 - black
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 2:40 am    Post subject: Yashinon DX 135/2.8 - black Reply with quote

I picked this up recently, rather more beat up than the very clean one Tom (Oldhand) showed a few days ago.

Here it is with its stable-mate the 200/4.
This series was the first Yashica-specific range supplied with the then new Yashica 35mm SLR's. Previous to this Yashica was apparently rebranding other makers lenses, notably Tokina, and of course they had at least their macro lens from Tomioka. But the DX lenses were never offered under other brands that I know of, and are unique. They seem to have been introduced in the late 1960's, perhaps 1967, and were sold until the mid-1970's. They can be found in all-black and in mixed chrome/alu and black, and sometimes the 50mm's can be found in all-alu finish. I think the all-black types are later production.

The feature that stands out is the aesthetic product design. The clean, smooth uncluttered lines make these some of the most attractive pieces of camera gear ever made, to my eyes anyway.

The 135/2.8 is otherwise a typical M42 automatic lens of the day, with a M/A switch, close focus of 1.5 meters, and a very long focus throw, 300 degrees at least. Its a 5-element lens, which puts it up a bit over most of its third party contemporaries (and the Nikkor-Q 135/2.Cool and similar to the first version of the Super/SMC Takumar 135/2.5. Like most of the Yashinon DX line it has a built in hood that alas is not quite as good as that of the 200/4.

Performance - Wide open its competitive with its rivals of the time, as best I can tell, at least in closeup shots, getting detail just about down to the limit of my 16mp APS-C sensor, but maybe not quite there. It seems to suffer a sharpness falloff at infinity however. Stopping down to f/4 makes it as sharp as I can determine at any distance. Bokeh - not quite as smooth as some, though not as jagged as the Takumar 135/3.5. See what you think on sample pictures. No complaints about contrast or colors. There is some slight color fringing visible wide open, cant tell so far if its red or purple.

Samples -

The bird (f/2.Cool

crop -

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A nice report of what looks like another great 135 lens.

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your bird shot is always so on the money.

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful lenses and excellent results Luis.
Thanks for sharing these
OH

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice shots, seems like a nice lens. thanks for the detailed analysis.
In the photo of the man in the window(5th down) looks it looks like the palm tree was cut and pasted on.
Also the photo of the cars looks very unusual due to the angle of the front car.

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

uddhava wrote:
In the photo of the man in the window(5th down) looks it looks like the palm tree was cut and pasted on.
Also the photo of the cars looks very unusual due to the angle of the front car.

Only Yashinons can do that Very Happy

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The cars are "low riders" with articulated suspensions. They were dancing.
The tree reverse 3d effect struck me. Its because, partly, of telephoto foreshortening, plus the tree is in sharp focus while the rest actually isn't.

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldhand wrote:
uddhava wrote:

Only Yashinons can do that Very Happy

Yes to the palm tree, but I don't know about the car.
Will my 2/50 give 3D results too?
I need to try it more.

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:
The cars are "low riders" with articulated suspensions. They were dancing.
The tree reverse 3d effect struck me. Its because, partly, of telephoto foreshortening, plus the tree is in sharp focus while the rest actually isn't.

Okay, thank you.
"Telephoto foreshortening", that is interesting, I guess that is not something you can control is it? Or did you plan for that effect?
Now I understand the cars, they are doing the jitter-bug or "dirty dancing" maybe. Smile
BTW is the Ys. 200 still your favorite at that length?

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: Yashinon DX 135/2.8 - black Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:
But the DX lenses were never offered under other brands that I know of, and are unique.

I saw Porst 50mm f1.7 lens identical to black and silver Yashinon DX. May be other lenses from this DX line were also sold as Porst.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is interesting lens, i just restored a sample and rear has cemented two thick elements which is indication of Sonnar or Tele-Takumar design. I did not open the front system. Anyone can share complete scheme?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found the manual of DX lenses. well what's left of an old manual. Perhaps in Butkus you can find more.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice, thanks!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some pics with my "silver" copy:

The first is a picture of a graveyard gate, the writing says: "Visitors, please keep the gate closed" like they can escape....

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Splendid results Tomas! Must try my copy.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2022 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

#4 is the latest one. I love the look it produces and its sharpness its acceptable. Had other 135s from other brands that were much worse..

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2022 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice results bluedxca93, looks very similar to what I've seen with my silver "non DX" copy. I should shoot it more often, it's one of my better 135mm lenses. It appears in all ways identical to the silver 135mm DX lenses but simply without the DX on the nameplate.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2022 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1

Good Job!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2022 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow this lens has some pop! Great samples everyone.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2023 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im still using it. Sharpnes is good , except if you have shaky? hands like me sometimes

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2023 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its good and when the weather its better it produces good result. Love to use it, even if its a bit "heavy" sometimes.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2023 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a nice black & chrome version a few weeks ago and I'm loving it. It's a great compaion for my matching 50 / 1.4.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2023 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like a lot the pic of the dancing lady. I really do. What was the lens again? 🤔🤭
(a bit of fill flash would have made it even better. 🤷‍♀️) But 👍.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2024 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had one arrive today. Lends itself to sharpening pretty well. Purple fringing with high contrast out of focus transitions, low contrast in bright conditions and cool rendering.

Polekeh by The lens profile, on Flickr

Quackeh by The lens profile, on Flickr

Palletkeh by The lens profile, on Flickr

Polekeh 2 by The lens profile, on Flickr

The Pond F11 by The lens profile, on Flickr

Mine is the silver and black version btw. Just cosmetics I guess

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2024 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice examples of what the lens can do when images are properly processed.