Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Yashinon DS-M 1.2/55 on canon 70D
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 1:42 am    Post subject: Yashinon DS-M 1.2/55 on canon 70D Reply with quote

I finally got around to using my new yashinon DS-M 1.2/55.
I had tried it during the day, but any direct light causes bad glow.
I don't think this lens was meant for that, but obviously for low light and night photography.
I read some great things about the rendering, and so most of these shots are indeed tests thereof.
And needless to say- I absolutely love it.

I still have to get better at shooting this lens to get the most of it it, and it it hard to nail focus at 1.2- especially for me.
I will later do some tests with a tripod to check the actual sharpness, but looks pretty sharp at 1.2 when focus is right.
All pictures at 1.2, handheld, 60-100 shutter range.

I missed focus on few, and an apartment bound due to sickness, but I love the rendering of the lens. I cannot wait to use it more.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn't look too bad at all.
These very fast lenses take a little getting used to - very shallow DOF wide open, and of course you have discovered the flare possibilities already.
A good lens hood will help.
As you use it more you will discover what situations will bring out its best, and what not to point it at.
Thanks for sharing these
OH

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes it certainly does, I'm pretty used to shooting 1.4 but 1.2 is a whole different ballgame.
I really like the potential of the lens, but I have yet to do it justice.
The glow of the images is pretty severe during daylight. Does well though when the light is in the background.
I was hoping to find an authentic good for it, but I can't even seem to find a reference for it so I do not think it exists :/
I will have to find a generic alternative unfortunately.
It'll be interesting to see once I convert my rokkor 1.2/58 how they compare as the yashinon is about 3x the price.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a generic collapsible rubber hood on mine (Revuenon 1.2/55) - it was an old movie camera hood from days of yore.
I am sure that they are available online
OH

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to re-assure you that it is familiarity and practice that will bring out the best in your lens.
I struggled with mine at the start, but as I came to understand its strengths and foibles, it started turning out images that I liked.
As I said, I don't have the Yashica but the Cosina made Revueneon 1.2/55.
Anyhoo, here is a piccie from one of its recent outings.
Cheers
OH

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a very nice shot. You are right- when I first slapped it on the camera, it felt like a faulty lens.
Now I think I get some of the best shots of any lens with it, but it a very small hit percentage.
I hope with time that percentage will improve.
I will take it for a golden/blue hour shooting session sometime soon to try to consistently get a few shots like yours.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a love / hate relationship ....
and was never able to achieve consistent results...... gave up and sold it...