Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Yashica TL Electro
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 2:49 pm    Post subject: Yashica TL Electro Reply with quote

Hello everyone,

I'm interested in buying a cheap M42 mechanical (reliable!) camera to replace the Zenit. I put in the count the Yashica and Fujica 605.
How, as I read the Yashica takes two batteries but here I can get only alkaline 1.5V LR-44 batteries. Could the different voltage damage the light meter (mostly because being used two batteries also the voltage is more different than when using one battery) ?
Tha Fujica 605 (the chepaest Fuji) has the fastest speed 1/700 .
The Spotmatics/Pentax are too expensive and what I don't like at Chinon CM M42 camera is the external LEDs of the light meter. By the way, doesn't affect the clear view those externally put LEDs on the Chinon ?
Thank you.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a TL Electro its a good camera solid and reliable the batteries you need are PX-640 AFAIK and I got mine from here
http://www.brewstersbatteries.co.uk/catalog/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=640&x=0&y=0
this should give you hopefully the right page. I tried to use 2x PX625 from my Praktica btut though it worked to test the meter I wouldnt recommend to use any but the proper ones . If you have any bother PM me and I can send some to you Very Happy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I understand that, I use 2x px640, 1.5 v and have had no noticeable problems with metering and such, and I've been using it for about 6 months. There are indeed 2 versions of the TL electro, mine is the 2 battery variant, the 2 px625 were used only once for a test just to see if the meter leds lit up. Anyway I hope you find yourself the camera you need as I say I would recommend the TL or perhaps as an alternative an FX-3 with an M42 adapter Very Happy that gives you access to Contax/Yashica fit as well! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Good luck

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cosmin
For strictly M42 there is another camera you should consider.
It is the Sears TLS made by Ricoh
The camera looks pretty cool in Black yet has no name other than Sears on it and draws little attention.
I think that the shutter in this thing is indestructable and will keep speeds forever.
Also about the shutter is the placement of the speed dial directly below the release on the front of the camera. Very nice to use
The camera takes a 625 battery just one.
You can easily adapt hearing aid batteries with a rubber o-ring or use a 1.5v and just dial in the film speed to be faster than rated
I do the later and find 1.5 stops to be fine for most Negative films.
Actually when shooting most cheap "print" films it is not necessary to adjust at all.
Anyway there is another idea for you
These can be had really cheap in the US maybe it is the same in Europe.

Here is a link to one post from Luis. He features the camera regularly for his photos of lenses. Maybe has something to add regarding this model

http://forum.mflenses.com/tamron-80-250-3-8-adapt-a-matic-t9587.html

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much for the replyes.
Yes, I'll take in consideration the Sears/Ricoh solution too.

Just one question about ISO speed settings. I've got the other working M42 camera, the Porst Reflex TL (Cosina/Argus 1000) and I'm setting the ISO at the exactly like is written in the manual even if I use a 1.5V battery and not a 1.35V one and the pictures are ok, regarding exposure.
Anyway I'll make some tests and a'll compare all the cameras I have including the digital Pentax.
Thank you again.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cosmin, about the PX640 batteries - first of all the replacement PX640A cells now available, besides being 1.5v, are an alkali cell. The output voltage of these reduces gradually through its life, starting out higher than 1.5v and ending up maybe lower than 1.3v. The old mercury batteries had a much more constant voltage during their life and cameras designed for these often need this constant voltage. For example the Spotmatic SP & SPII definitely need a constant 1.35v to work properly, and I think it's highly likely the TL-Electro has a similar circuit. If you use the 1.5v alkali cells you'll probably find the camera will underexpose when the batteries are new and overexpose when they're old.

I found a plain adapter that allows you to use a 1.4v WeinCell zinc-air battery, but you'd need two for the Electro and they're £19.50 each!!
http://www.smallbattery.company.org.uk/sbc_mr52_adapter.htm The batteries stop working without an air supply, and they only last about 9 months, even if you don't use them.

I think for this camera the most sensible solution is either Andy's suggestion of using cheap hearing-aid batteries and a home-made adapter, or you could use two cheap, standard 1.5v silver oxide cells with a home-made adapter and set the ASA dial to about 2.5x the film speed.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about Cosina reporter or Praktica MTL3 (to avoid battery problems)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a working Praktica TL3 with a couple of spare batteries you can have for postage costs Montecarlo if interested PM me

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you everyone .

Poolhall wrote:
I have a working Praktica TL3 with a couple of spare batteries you can have for postage costs Montecarlo if interested PM me

I sent you a message.

I just bid on a Chinon CX but also spotted a Cosina CSM camera. Last one is a little weird because it has an electronic shutter (though dosn't have aperture priority),has multiexposure capability, led lights for the light meter's indications, a cloth shuttor not metal one and a very big viewfinder (x0.9 magnification). Has anyone teseted these cameras.
Thanks again. Smile

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The viewfinder is like the Yashica FX3
It is nice and huge
Shocked

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the Yashica TL Electro X it has the single battery and is very well made and handles nicely. The battery is the single battery and not hard to get a hold of.

Jim