Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Yashica ML lenses?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 11:46 pm    Post subject: Yashica ML lenses? Reply with quote

Hi there,

After acquiring a modified pentax dslr to take in C/Y mount, i've had a hard time choosing lenses. Sad

I am able to get yashica ML lenses at the below prices from a local dealer
- 28/2.8 US$85
- 50/1.4 US$90

or should i just bear with it and purchase a zeiss planar 50/1.4 instead? it will set me back around US$280

im at a loss to go for the yashicas for the unbeatable prices or get zeiss lenses which was why i bought the modified pentax for...but damn, its too expensive for a student like me.

cheers!
jackson

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surely Zeiss are better as price tag shows, but not a lot you will enjoy Yashica lenses pretty much I guess. With little luck you can buy from Ebay cheaper.

http://www.mflenses.com/gallery/v/japenese/yashica/
http://www.mflenses.com/gallery/v/german/carl_zeiss/

Can you show us your modified Pentax ?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But a zeiss is a zeiss afterall...sigh...in the meanwhile, some pics. Smile taken on a crappy pns

The mount is replaced with a c/y mount. The previous owner did it himself based on a set of instructions in contax club.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you find this instruction please share it! It will be great help for many of us.

Zeiss the LENS that is true, but sometimes have to make compromise.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sure, no probs. Smile

http://forum.contax-club.org/viewtopic.php?t=12815

Instruction starts on page 2. In English.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

converting Pentax for Contax Yashica mount c/y mount lens.

wow. watch this posts numbers grow.
conversion of Pentax to C/Y Zeiss

keywords for the googlers

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Yashica ML lenses? Reply with quote

starvingjack wrote:
but damn, its too expensive for a student like me.

That's the point.
Buy the the cheap but very good yashicas, and save money for something more important.
You can buy expensive lenses later.

But this is just my opinion. I'm a student, like you. (And a Zeiss fan, too )

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yashica ML lines of lenses are pretty good ones.

Please do not feel inferior to Zeiss lens [owners] when you only have ML lenses. Very Happy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yashica ML lenses are pretty much appreciated here. I own the ML 28/2.8, 35/2.8 and 135/2.8 and love all of them. But those prices you reported are much higher than what I have seen - maybe it is Singapore price level?
Gerd

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JoeCool wrote:
Yashica ML lenses are pretty much appreciated here. I own the ML 28/2.8, 35/2.8 and 135/2.8 and love all of them. But those prices you reported are much higher than what I have seen - maybe it is Singapore price level?
Gerd

i believe so, everything here is expensive. Sad

atosz79:
i went ahead and bought the 28mm/2.8 ML...although it's really hard to ignore the planar 50/1.4 beside it..haha

koji:
hahaha...you should donate some zeiss to me and atosz79, spread the love! lol..just kidding..

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Jack!
The ML's are great lenses.
Certainly they have different personalities than the Zeiss FL equivelents.
That said I think you should feel no apprehension to buy any fixed ML from 135mm and shorter.
The longer lenses and zooms I have found to be a bit doggy with one acception. The ML70-210 is a top performer equal to the best of that most popular zoom range.

The prices you mention are a bit high as has been mentioned in a previous reply. Watch ebay for a bit of savings.
On second thought by the time you pay shipping your local shops price will be a fine deal.
You will love that 2.8/28 it is a fantastic performer.

Andy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andy:

thanks! cant wait to use it extensively...currently looking for other ML lenses as well on ebay, 55mm 2.8 macro and 55mm 1.2...very interesting,...haha

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't miss on the ML macro 55mm f4.
It is one of my favorite lenses for use in bright sun.
Lightweight, no need for a hood, Sharp wide open with true colors and she focuses 1:2 magnification. Wink

This lens can be had for less than $100 if you keep your eyes out for it.
I would suggest to take a pass on the 1.2/55. The 1.4/50 is a great fast lens the 1.2 is not worth 4-5 times the price.
Andy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is hardly any difference between ML 55/2.8 and ML 55/4 macro lenses as Andy mentioned(?),
even comparing to Y/C macro 60/2.8. And you can find an extension tube at ePay I guess in order to
achieve more magnification if you wish.

Yes, ML50/1.4 is absolutely beautiful lens for actual shooting, 55/1.2 is
for collectors and has far less contrast at F1.2.

ML50/1.4 has less distortion and more natural colour rendition than Planar 50/1.4.
People say it has cooler colour, but they watch/have too many Zeiss lenses. Very Happy