Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Yashica ML 2/50 pancake on NEX-3
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 4:20 pm    Post subject: Yashica ML 2/50 pancake on NEX-3 Reply with quote

Hi folks

This is not a bad little lens but imho inferior to my other pancakes - Minolta Rokkor 2/45 and Konica Hexanon 1.8/40.

These are all wide open:

These are all at f8:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a bad looking lens at all! Decent sharpness wide open and pleasing (to me) bokeh. I think you missed focus on the clock as the gate pics were better.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not sure I did miss focus on clock, it is natural for close shots to be sharper.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian, it's a great lens alright, I have one myself. Really good for macros on tubes in my experience.

However, some of these shots are not focused correctly and the shot of the window is suffering camera shake due to the 1/50 shutter speed and looks to have been sharpened. Are you relying on the focus peaking feature on the Nex?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the window shot has some shake. The second one of the clock might be slightly misfocussed but I'm pretty sure the others aren't.

I wouldn't call it great at all, pretty average compared to other 50s imho.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like result , not bad at all.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the Hexanon 1.8/40, Rokkor 2/45 and this ML 2/50, I can't justify keeping all three so I have to choose one to keep, I think the Hexanon although the Rokkor runs it close. I think I'll give this ML another go tomorrow on a tripod.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's one from a couple of years back @ f5.6:

No pp other than a 20% 0.5px sharpen.

I think it's great for the £5.00 it usually sells for Very Happy Especially as it mounts on Canon DSLRS Wink I must go and shoot with it some more though.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that is a good sample, what camera?

I will give mine another shot, it is in great condition with very clear optics, from the shots so far I do prefer the Rokkor 2/45 but that could change I suppose.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was shot on a Canon EOS 30D. I'm guessing this was an inexpensive-ish lens originally, probably as the cheapest kit lens for the Yashica bodies (I know there were f/1.9, f/1.7 and f/1.4 versions too). Not terribly handy speed wise for low light shots, but probably great value for everything else.

I wish I had more time to test again...ho hum!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I agree, it comes from the same era as the Hexanon 1.8/40 and Rokkor 2/45, oh and the Pentax 40mm as well, seems pancakes were in vogue for a while.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...and not to forget the Zeiss Tessar 45mm F2,8, but from all these, I strongly prefer the Rokkor!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the Rokkor too, I think I am going to keep that one, mine was full of fungus but after a good clean it works well now:

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my early lens. never want to sell it. It must be used in proper way to get best result. mine has some fungus & crack on front body
f 5,6 or 8, the blue color is real, no edit

wideopen