Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Yashica-Mat EM has arrived....Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 6:34 am    Post subject: Yashica-Mat EM has arrived....Help Reply with quote

My first medium format a Yashica-Mat EM has arrived Very Happy I looks very beautify except the magnifying glass is lose in one side. This is easy to fix.

Wose is that I can´t fire the shutter.... I think maybe it is me who are doing something wrong.

Any ideas ?
Shout there be loaded a film before it is possible to fire?

I find this page and it is very good, but it do not help with my (hopefully little) problem.

http://www.mikebutkus.com/chinon/yashica/yashica_mat-em/yashica_mat-em.htm

Last edited by lahnet on Sun Jul 13, 2008 7:34 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Henrik, if it's like my Ricohflex, you can fire the shutter without loading any
film. Sounds like the shutter blades have oil or some kind of grunge on
them. You can try leaving the cam in a sunny window for a couple of hours
then try the shutter to see if things have loosened to where it will fire.

Bill

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On my Rolliecord the shutter is unconnected to the wind on but I know later models were connected to prevent double exposure. Try opening the back reseting any counter and winding on before cocking the shutter.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes to what Richard says - if the counter is past 12 I don't think the crank will arm the shutter. Opening and closing the back resets the counter. Or something along those lines. No you don't need film for the shutter to work.

I was looking at the manual, this trick doesn't seem applicable: on some Yashica Mats there's a little collar around the shutter button that locks it.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much.

I have tried to fire whit the counter in almost every position.
I have tried every shutter speed incl. B
It´s good to know that it don´t matter if there is a film loaded.
There is no collar lock.

I have a idea that it might be the selftimer that are jammed..It that possible?

Anyone knows where to find a repair manual. I have linked to the precise model in post one.

Damm Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Sad

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Henrik, I don't get the jammed shutter problem on my camera so I don't know if this will help you, but on my 124G the self-timer will not move when the flash sync lever is on M, only when it's on X. Weird!

There's a disassembly chart for the 124G here. I haven't found anything for the EM, you could also look for the LM as the only difference is with the light meter.

http://www-unix.oit.umass.edu/~coreya/yashica/ymchttc.html

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ Peter:

My 635 is the same as your 124G - no self-timer ops on 'M'.

There's a few idiosyncrasies to note about Yashi TLRs:

Always set the shutter speed before cocking the shutter.

For slow speeds, make sure the shutter has completed it's operation before recocking it for the next shot.

Set the flash sync lever to 'X' and make sure it stays there for the reason below....

Don't attempt to use the self-timer with the flash sync set to 'M' as the shutter will jam.

In fact, don't use the self-timer....

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bob955i wrote:
. . .In fact, don't use the self-timer....

This is advice Larry gave me when I was checking out Yashimats.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re Yashica Mat EM has arrived Reply with quote

I have just got a Yashica Mat. The shutter didn't drag or hang so I hoped all was well. So I loaded a roll of Fomapan 100 for a test.
I was taking some shots of terraced houses and a closed corner shop when the camera would not wind on after releasing the shutter.
The winder is locked solid, like the camera is still cocked. I opened up and took the film out to see if there was obviously anything wrong.
I was annoyed that this because I had only exposed 2 frames before this happened and I had to bin the film.

I had a Yashica Mat 24 many moons ago, so I knew the loading procedure.
I checked the sync was at 'x'.
Can I clear the camera easily or have I b%$$@&*^d it?
What I did do was change the shutter speed with the camera cocked.
Major no-no? The sun went in and I did it without thinking.
I couldn't recall what standard operational procedure was when I had the Yash 24. I have had five years with a Rolleicord.

Can I effect a remedy at home, or does the problem indicate the old swine still needs a professional CLA?
It'll have to wait till next month if that is the case

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neil, I've never given a thought to not changing the shutter speed after cocking, I'm sure I must have done it many times, so I doubt that's the cause of the problem. Just a silly question but it has to be asked - you did unwind the handle again after cocking the shutter didn't you? Smile

I can't think of any other obvious possibility, but I'm not an expert on Yashica TLR problems, touch wood. There is a lot of info if you search the Classic Camera Repair Forum, here's just one thread:
www.kyphoto.com/classics/forum/messages/2/19153.html?1278096234

Good luck!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 4:50 am    Post subject: Re:Yashica Mat Reply with quote

Can you clarify what you mean by 'unwind'?
I wound on from frame #1, back wound to cock the shutter to take frame #2 and then exposed frame #2.
The shutter clicked, but the wind crank was still locked.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 9:59 am    Post subject: Re:Yashica Mat Reply with quote

Neil Purling wrote:
I wound on from frame #1, back wound to cock the shutter to take frame #2 and then exposed frame #2.
The shutter clicked, but the wind crank was still locked.

OK, sometimes people don't know about the back winding, I was just checking.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems like this is one of the Mat weak spots. On my 124G sometimes the firing the shutter doesn't reset the mechanism... and I end up with a double exposure if I don't cover the lens when recovering from it.

But what do I do to recover? I wish I remembered, sorry. I think I do something with the shutter button.

Tha's not much help is it. Next time it happens with mine I'll make a note.

One thing I've seen recommended is to be very gentle with the crank operation, especially the return stroke, and always put the crank back in its hole. Maybe if that part of the mechanism isn't just in the right spot there's problems?