Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Yashica FX3 Super
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 1:33 pm    Post subject: Yashica FX3 Super Reply with quote

I can buy a Yashica FX3 Super (not 2000).

Price? u$s 27.

I like it to have a cam to put Zeiss C/Y lenses.

What do you think? To buy?

Thanks in advance.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are good and cheap cameras, but film advance can be tricky I had trouble with FR-1.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila. Thanks !!

Very usefull tip too!!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Yashica FX3 Super Reply with quote

estudleon wrote:
I can buy a Yashica FX3 Super (not 2000).

$27 is a little on the high side, but not too high. I have an FX-3 and an FX-3 Super. I've had the FX-3 for almost thirty years, and never had any problem with it. The only thing I have had to do is replace the light seals and the mirror damper foam, but that is something you would have to do with any camera of that age, and it is an easy and cheap job to do. (Get the light seal replacement kit from 'Interslice' on eBay.) It is a very reliable camera body, as the chassis is metal even though the body is plastic. Mine works perfectly, and the light meter is as accurate as the day it came out of the box. It does everything a camera body should, and has all the speeds you need in practice.

The FR can have a problem with the film advance, usually because the frame counter stops working, a very common problem with this model. I haven't seen this problem with the FX series.

I don't have the FX-3 Super 2000, so I can't comment on its reliability, though I have heard that production was moved to China for that model. Obviously, it has a top shutter speed of 1/2000th, but I don't think I've ever used such a fast shutter speed, even on the Contaxes I have that go to 1/4000.

As you know, the FX-3 accepts C/Y mount Zeiss lenses. I usually use the 45mm Tessar or the 50mm Planar on mine.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree with the above comments the FX-3 is a good, solid camera, made by Cosina and very reliable. Its also very easy to use with m42 lenses as the c/y mount has the same register, and infinity focus adapters are easy to get. About the only problem is the leather covering tends to come off but is easy to replace, get it if you can! Very Happy Very Happy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The FX-3 is basically Yashica's equivalent to the Nikon FM. A good, solid, reliable picture taker with all the features you need and none of the bells and whistles you don't. I'd say that if the $27 includes a normal lens, it would be a very good price. I mean, what can you buy new for $27 these days that's any good? I spend more than that when I take the wife out for lunch -- never mind dinner.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love it!
Nice lightweight little shooter. Mechanical Shutter and the battery for the meter lasts forever (the meter is great).
Mine lives with a Tessar 2.8/45. I don't love tessars too much but, that package is tiny and very light as far as reflex goes.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The camera is still being made in modified form by Phenix, also sold by Kenko among others.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alex, Poolhall, Cooltouch, F16Sunshine and Seele.

Thank you, guys, very much.

The cam come with ML 1,9/50 (not 1,7 nor 1,4 nor any planar Sad ).

Rino.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ohh...I forgot.

Can I do a stop down metering with these cam?

I want to use my M42 lenses.

Rino.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll be able to use your M42 lenses via an adapter. There are two kinds of adapter, one that has a ridge around the opening which will close in the aperture stop-down pin on the M42 lens when the lens is fitted to it, and another type that does not have the ridge around the inside circumference.

In the first type, when you turn the lens to f/8, it will stop down straight away. In the second type, the lens never stops down when you turn the aperture ring.

If your M42 lens has an A/M switch, you would set it to M, and that way, it doesn't matter which type of adapter you have, the lens will be at f/8 (or whatever) when you set it to f/8 and so on.

If your lens doesn't have an A/M switch, and you have the second type of adapter, the lens will always be at widest aperture. The FX-3 does not have a Depth-of-field preview button, so this would be a problem. So, you need to check the adapter before you buy it.

The FX-2, however, has a DOF preview button, so you would always be able to do stop-down metering, no matter which type of adapter you had.

The FX-3 is still an excellent camera, just check the M42-CY adapter before you buy it, to make sure it's the first type.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, Alex. Very much. For your suggestions and your time.

Anyways, all my M42 have M-A switch or are preset lenses. As I understand, all OK for the cam.

I asked 'cos I didn't know if the cam can metering with the lens stop down. It could be that the cam need the pin simulator of the apertura to metering. It no need it ?

Regards, Rino.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

estudleon wrote:
I asked 'cos I didn't know if the cam can metering with the lens stop down. It could be that the cam need the pin simulator of the apertura to metering. It no need it ?

If you mean does the lens need to have a 'lug' which tells the camera what the maximum aperture of the lens is (for example f/1.7 or f/2 or f/2.8), then no, it doesn't. It will show the correct exposure no matter what lens is mounted.

Just for you, I have taken out my FX-3 to check this. My M42 adapter is the type that closes the pin on the M42 lens mount.

First, I took my Canon 10D and set it to ISO 1600, set the aperture to f/5.6, and took a reading from the same area of grass. The shutter speed reads 1/15.

Next, I took my Aria with 35-70 Vario-Sonnar, and took a meter reading. 1/15th at f/5.6.

Finally, I put my 50mm f/2.8 M42 Tessar on the adapter, then put it on the FX-3. I set the film speed to 1600 (it is dim here at the moment), and the shutter speed to 1/15. I then pointed the camera to some grass and took a reading. The meter's 'green' LED came on when I set the aperture to f/5.6.

So, it's spot on, and works perfectly. You will have perfect stopped down metering no matter which lens you use. A camera that is thirty years old, with a lens mounted via an adapter, and the metering is still spot on, that's not bad at all! These little FX-3's are such peaches.

Incidentally, if you get the same type of adapter (the one that closes the aperture diaphragm pin when you mount it), the A/M switch on your lens will have no effect, it will be as if it is always in the 'M' position.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alex, thanks again. Embarassed

Very usefull information to me, and sure, to somebody else.

It seems to be consensus in that the FX3 super is a cheap and good cam. What else? Well, I will buy it.

It's very important to be users so happy with the FX3, like Alex.

Best regards, Rino.