Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

XR Rikenon 200mm f4 - worth it?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:08 pm    Post subject: XR Rikenon 200mm f4 - worth it? Reply with quote

I've seen an XR Rikenon 200mm f4 for £11 is it a good lens? worth getting to use on my Nex5 (when I get it)?

There's not much said about this lens (according to search results) on this forum, although the XR's are supposed to be very good. Is the Richoh a Pentax K mount?

Opinions anyone?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, a K mount, but I believe with an extra pin unique to Ricoh (for auto diaphragm) that can interfere with regular PK adapters.
This pin can generally be removed or ground off as it only works with later Ricoh bodies.

It should be a decent lens. For the price there is nothing lost in trying it.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By my knowledge, only Ricoh lenses designated with P (program?) have the pin that can cause troubles. "Regular" XR lenses doesn't have that pin. And it should be a very, very decent lens.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

berw wrote:
By my knowledge, only Ricoh lenses designated with P (program?) have the pin that can cause troubles. "Regular" XR lenses doesn't have that pin. And it should be a very, very decent lens.

The mount looks the same as a PK and with no extra pins, I looked on wikipedia and it confirms what you said; the P indicates it has a zoom pin.

luisalegria wrote:
Yes, a K mount, but I believe with an extra pin unique to Ricoh (for auto diaphragm) that can interfere with regular PK adapters.
This pin can generally be removed or ground off as it only works with later Ricoh bodies.
It should be a decent lens. For the price there is nothing lost in trying it.

Were these lenses made by Pentax? I'm sure I read that somewhere, or was it a different Rikenon range?

Thanks for your input, I'll probably pick it up tomorrow or Wednesday

Last edited by philslizzy on Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:19 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can't find better lens for 11 UKP for sure, I have good experience with all Ricoh branded lenses and in general all 200mm F4 lenses, take it and we will see it Smile

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the amount of money spent its worth buying...and then inform us how it handles.. Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forget about the Ricoh pin... it's role is grossly overestimated, and this lens doesn't have it anyway.

Rikenon XR 200/4 is the same lens as SMC Pentax-M 200/4, rebadged and with slightly different cosmetics. I have both lenses, and can confirm that they are the same down to the color of coatings and shape of aperture blades. For the price, go for it!

Another Rikenon XR lens that is a rebadged SMC Pentax-M is the 28/3.5. AFAIK, Ricoh also rebadged some Sigma lenses (the 16mm fisheye and, AFAIK, the 400mm - or was it the 300mm?) Also, Rikenon 105/2.8 Macro is a rebadged Kiron lens, often going for less than the Kiron.

Last edited by aoleg on Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:33 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Picked it up today. It's in mint condition, smooth focus & aperture. You can feel the quality of the build. I have ordered an adapter, I should get the NEX tomorrow or Friday!

sorry about the quality of the photos Mrs Birch is watching TV so I had to snap these in the bedroom!

The Rikenon:

I got a bonus see what else he gave me for nothing!

Jenazoom 75-300. not my first choice of lens, I don't really want a zoom, I already have a Nikon AF 80-300 and a little Tokina 70-210. But for free I'll give it a try. I think this lens is made by Sigma.

Happy New Year
Phil

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are a couple of quick snaps to try out the lens, full aperture, built-in flash at 1/8th power home made adapter see: http://forum.mflenses.com/viewtopic,p,1289401.html#1289401

100% crop

100% crop

I'm very happy with this lens, cant wait to get my NEX!!