Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

withdrawn: Taylor 7" Rapid Rectilinear lens
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:16 pm    Post subject: withdrawn: Taylor 7" Rapid Rectilinear lens Reply with quote

Well, this is surely only for a fraction of the members here, who are into pictorial photographic work ("Seele" where are you... Wink ).

I have a (close to) perfect condition Rapid Rectilinear lens, made by Taylor of Leicester (later well known as Taylor, Taylor & Hobson TTH), f8 / 7" focal length (exactly 6.94" as engraved), iris stops 8-64, leather front cap, with cardbox. Rear 1.5" (ca 38mm) screw mount (Leica enlarger thread mount adaptor fits loosely, but works fine, so no exotic adaptor needed). Cover should be 6 1/2 x 4 3/4" ("half plate") since this is also engraved (ca 165 x 120mm for us "metrics"). The Lens Vademecum mentions it for "portrait and landscape" work.

The small size and easy mount makes it an ideal lens for DSLR work.

I will take offers for that nice piece. Please contact me directly using postmaster@macrolenses.de

Here something about the history of that lens design, which was invented by Dr H A Steinheil:
http://www.engr.udayton.edu/faculty/jloomis/eop601/notes/history/rapid/rapid.html and this is the design:

Here now some shots I did using that lens, late at night (WB a bit off, though) using suitable tubes, all full format strainght from the cam, unaltered...

and a night shot to the near castle ("Windeck" - windy corner) from the windows upstairs:

Last edited by kds315* on Wed Dec 02, 2009 4:50 pm; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, what a beauty!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The more I look at it Sandy, the more I think I should keep it...
Just found it while I was looking for some other lenses.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Klaus, not that i am interested in buying or anything.
Just out curiosity, did u make any samples with this lense on DSLR ?
Would be great to see some, Abbaz always has such interesting old lenses samples on his flickr stream.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That weblink was an interesting read Klaus, this kinda blew my mind:
The real clue to the construction of the Rapid Rectilinear lay in the choice of glass. The two glass types should differ as much as possible in refractive index yet be close in dispersive powers. The lower-index positive elements were inside, close to the stop, while the higher-index negative elements were outside.... If the two glasses were widely different in properties the lens became long and worked at a higher aperture, while if the glasses were closely similar the lens became more compact, the components more meniscus-shaped, and the angular field became larger, though at a smaller aperture.

Yeah man, mount this up and take us back to 1910!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pics added per request...and added a copy to the Gallery section here, since it might be of interest anyway.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just curious here, does this lens has focusing or u need to mount onto a bellow ?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a barrel lens and thus has no focusing.