Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

winter details & cityscapes on Ilford Delta 400 Pro
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:57 pm    Post subject: winter details & cityscapes on Ilford Delta 400 Pro Reply with quote

I really love this film, the fine grain and versatility. Coupled with a 50/1.x lens it is perfect for winter use, stretching from daylight use to arctic winter nights or cosy pub light.

Some samples from a roll shot in the first week of January, taken with a Nikon FM2n in about -20C weather. Scanned with a Nikon Coolscan 4000 and all have minimal to none post-processing. I don't process it myself, the guys at the lab I use have never let me down so far and it's only 5 EUR/roll of 135-36.

Minimum focusing distance

#1 - CV 90/3.5 APO-Lanthar @ f/5.6

At minimum focusing distance there is some loss of detail, but already at about 1m the detail is excellent.

#2 - CV 90/3.5 APO-Lanthar @ f/5.6

#3 - CV 90/3.5 APO-Lanthar @ f/5.6

This lens is bitingly sharp, looking at the original size image.
#4 - CV 90/3.5 APO-Lanthar @ f/5.6

The twin tower church was a little overexposed and fog made for lack of contrast, so I tweaked it just a little.
#5 - CV 90/3.5 APO-Lanthar @ f/5.6

These are all at very slow shutter speeds hand-held, some show camera shake. The Nikkor 50/1.2 AI-S gives a very dreamy feel wide open, but already at f/2 internal flare is mostly gone and contrast improves greatly.

#6 - Nikkor 50/1.2 AI-S @ f/2

This was at very slow shutter, I think 1/8s or 1/15s
#7 - Nikkor 50/1.2 AI-S @ f/1.2

Camera shake induced by several pints of that stout add to image softness Very Happy
#8 - Nikkor 50/1.2 AI-S @ f/2

My colleague on air during our bi-weekly radio show, note the bottle of calvados Very Happy
#9 - Nikkor 50/1.2 AI-S @ f/1.2

Not much in focus at f/1.2 and minimum focusing distance
#10 - Nikkor 50/1.2 AI-S @ f/1.2

I added these to a gallery of their own

http://www.mflenses.com/gallery/v/mfl_club_members/esoxlucius/IlfordDelta400/

Last edited by Esox lucius on Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:40 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vilhelm,

these a great shots - perfect. I can feel the cold.

Wink

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, wonderful results of an unusual sort...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you guys!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

#3, 4, 5 are beautiful! =)
(only did you exposed +1? snow could be more white)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lovely. i especially liked the semi-close-up of the three lanterns. they shine frostily, not warmly ... Very Happy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spleenone wrote:
#3, 4, 5 are beautiful! =)
(only did you exposed +1? snow could be more white)

Thank you!

Clipping or adjusting levels would take care of it, but I wanted to maintain the originals without any pp on scans, as these were shot during grey/misty days or at nighttime.

Here's an example:

As scanned

Clipped it

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Esox lucius wrote:

Clipping or adjusting levels would take care of it, but I wanted to maintain the originals without any pp on scans, as these were shot during grey/misty days or at nighttime.

Yes, that's better way to keep original scans without PP. I do it, too. Ovecast make some troubles sometimes. Clipped are not as good as previous. Maybe I should maintain ma LCD. Lovely freezing pics.